X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mlunde
    • Oct 2005

Mixing speaker brands in 5.1 or 7.1 ?

Hi,

I currently have a 5.1 setup consisting of B&W 603s, 601s, LCR60 and an ASW650.

I am thinking of moving to 7.1 since I'm upgrading the fronts to either 604s or 703s, and my question is:

Can I use some cheap JBL E30s for SR+SL+SBR+SBL? Or will it screw up the entire 'picture' / soundstage in 5.1 and 7.1?

I'm asking because im 30/70 movies/music, and I don't feel the B&W surrounds are earning their worth being used as little as I currently do. And I got offered 4 of those JBLs at a very very low price up at the local whatchamagooever electronics store, as well as a 100% store credit for the 601s at my hifi store.

Thanks.
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

Should be fine, just make sure the L/C/R are well matched (or identical), everything else is mostly for non-musical effects... There are some exceptions, especially on SACD or DVD-A, and then the music will not sound coherent.

Comment

• Kent Turb0
      • Jun 2005

Deleted
      Last edited by Kent Turb0; 16 June 2018, 21:09 Saturday.

Comment

• mlunde
        • Oct 2005

I am planning on getting 4x JBL E30 for surround and back, and probably going with 604s3 for fronts and an LCR600 for center.

The 601s I have for surrounds in my 5.1 setup right now just do not earn their price, at all. Mainly because I don't use them.

It won't bug me at all to know that I have a mix-n-match HT system, as long as it sounds like I want it to. I auditioned the JBLs about a week ago, they don't sound too bad in 2ch, and I figure since they'll be surrounds and back speakers in my 7.1 setup, they won't exactly be working overtime on those channels.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"