Mixing and Matching have effect on performance?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marshahu_cr
    • Aug 2003

Mixing and Matching have effect on performance?

I am looking into getting a Marantz 8200 receiver to go with my Audigy 2 soundcard (which is THX compatible) and various other audio sources.

However I am new to home cinema so I need some good THX standard speakers that will go with my Marantz 8200. I need 3 bookshelf speakers to act as the rear speakers (my setup is 6.1) one centre speaker, two tower speakers for the front and a nice kick ass subwoofer. I plan on placing the centre and front two speakers near my TV set so they need to magnetically shielded and the same applies for the subwoofer. Also each speaker must be a minimum of 120w as any lower and they will disintergrate as my Marantz reaches the high volume.

My budget is rather low so I am channeling a high percentage towards my speakers and receiver. Otherwise I am just getting a Sony E-Line 5 CD Changer, a Sony E-Line Twin cassette deck, a Sony Automatic Turntable and maybe a high end DAB radio if my budget streches far enough otherwise just a cheap one.

If I mix and match brands, what will the effect on the final sound quality?

Also when making suggestions, please remember that I live in the UK.

Thank you for your time!!
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Prorbably the most important thing you can do is to find a speaker for the stero mains that your pleased with the over tonality and voicing, then stick to that brand for all your speakers- the voicing is more likely to be similar, and to provide a relatively coherent sound field. When there's changes in voicing between the mains, center channel, and surrounds (which, even from the same brand, there will be differences), it degrades the "you are there" feeling because the brain is having to shift gears in the sound which should remain the same in character even though coming from different locations.

The only other points, for movies, the Center channel is a very important speaker, and should be as full range as possible- it carries dialog plus a lot of the front and center effects, sometimes music, too. Don't scrimp on it compared with your stereo mains.

Good luck putting the system together which pleases you.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Rock Dog
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2003

Well, you've said you're budget is limited, but didn't give any type of dollar figure.

As John said. The most important thing not to mix is the speakers. Getting the same brand all the way around is really important. And even if you get the same brand. You want to make sure you get the same line (especially for the Mains and center) so that the timbre and voicing are matched. You could hear a difference in sound if you buy the same brand, but mix and match the speaker lines.

Seeing as you're in the UK. You could start by checking out Wharfedale. A very old, very well respected British Speaker company.

Their new Pacific Evolution series looks pretty good. I have not heard them myself. But I've read a number of reviews.

The new issue of Sound and Vision magazine has a write up on them. When you get to the front page click on the "6 easy pieces" link right at the top. Then scroll down to the end of the first page (the Celestion review) and go to page 3. That's where the Wharfedale review is.

You mentioned 6.1 one of the hardest things about 6.1 (and I believe is the real reason the industry jumped to 7.1 so quickly after 6.1) is finding that single speaker. Some dealers and manufacturers will let you buy 1 rear surround. But most will not break up the pair so you can get that single center back channel.

Hmmm. sounds like a new thread.

Anyway, check out Wharfedale

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I agree with the other comments here. I'll also HIGHLY encourage you to be consistent with speakers. Some people will even use 5, 6, or 7 of the EXACT same speaker for their setup. You may not want to use the same speaker for surrounds as the front three, since surrounds operate better if they are bipole or dipole in design instead of direct radiating like the front three speakers. But if possible, using the exact same speaker for all three front speakers works great.

I usually tell people if they are severely budget limited that they can even start with something small like HTIB (Home Theater In a Box) which usually provides 5 identical speakers.

As an example of a way to do it, my current speaker setup comes entirely from the Klipsch Legend series, which is designed for all speakers to match each other. Other speaker companies do this as well.

CHRIS
        Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Aeromos
          • Jun 2003

You mentioned you want THX ceritified speakers. To do this you will be paying a little more because of the royalties these companies have to pay THX to carry their certification. The only one I know of is M&K speakers. Their 750 line is THX certified. For their surrounds you have a choice of direct firing or a tripole. Also these are bookshelves.

Aeromos
          Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
          My Collection
          Aeromos
          Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
          My Collection

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Marshahu_cr, Welcome to the Guide!

I think the above have given you sound advice! 8)

I would just like to add. I own the M&K 750 THX LCR which makes up my left/center/right speakers. As well as Fosgate Audionics THX rears. Coupled with a THX receiver. And though I love what these speakers do, nothing stamped on a speaker will yield more performance than proper setup Speaker sound is very personel. While having a THX speaker is a nice goal, knowing that the speaker you chose has the soung signature that is pleasing to "you" is more important. If you can get that and THX even better. ;h

I had to work to get the sound that I knew this system was capable of. Placed anywhere, "any" speaker will sound well...ok. But once you get them placed in the correct position for your room and listening position, what you hear will be nothing short of awesome!

Good luck and enjoy putting together your system.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• marshahu_cr
              • Aug 2003

I have decided to get a Denon 1803 (I think thats the model number) 6.1 receiver. I will need to let go of my THX expectations because my budget will not be able to cater for THX receivers and speakers.

My budget is really strict being £1000 for the whole rig - my dad wont go any higher but ill be chipping in about £300 extra if I can gather the cash - total budget £1300.

I need some affordable but good quality speakers that will justify the performance of my Denon 1803 and sound great and clear in movies, music and games. I will need two front tower speakers for the FL & FR, a center speaker for the dialogue, three bookshelf speakers (RL, RC, RR - uh hum! 6.1) as they are going in a windowsill behind the sofa and a good bassy subwoofer. The receiver outputs 80w per channel so I need something which wont disintergrate when the receiver goes to high volume but as long as its above 80w per speaker then I'm happy.

Please help me choose bearing in mind that I live in the UK. I dont wanna invest loadsa money in a system that sounds really pants cos the speakers are poor.

How would Sony Speakers with ED tweeter sound with a Denon amplifier?

Thank you for your help so far and I am greatful to all you lot for chipping in!!!

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Hi Hugh,

Letting go of the THX certification is a good thing really. It is not necessary to hold to that set of standards for good HT reproduction - and especially not for good music output. This will allow you to look at many more options as far as speakers are concerned.

I'm not sure what's available in the UK, but if they are, check out the Energy Encore or Take 5 systems. These are marvelous sounding systems not only for the price, but at several price point above their retail. P.S. I don't own these or have any affiliation with Energy in any way.

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"