X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mitch57
    • Nov 2004

HDMI or Component Video?

I'm trying to decide which way to go when I hook up my new HD plasma display.

Setup #1: My receiver (Denon 3805) has component out which I'm thinking of connecting to the plasma. I would then connect my Tivo HR10-250 box with either S Video or Component to the receiver which will up convert it to component. I would also connect my DVD player to the receiver via component.

Setup #2: Connect my HR10-250 Tivo to the plasma via HDMI and the optical audio out to the receiver. I would also connect my DVD player to the plasma via component.

I'm thinking for the highest quality video signal setup #2 would be the way to go. But then again for simplicity and ease of hookup setup #1 would be the best option.

Will I really notice a big difference in picture quality between setup #1 and #2? The other issue is whether or not my new Panny TH-50PX50U has discrete codes (that actually work) for changing inputs. If they are toggle codes only, setup #2 is most likely going to be hit and miss at best.

Any thoughts on this?
    Mitch
    :stupidpc:
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

My friend has a Panasonic 7UY 50" Plasma and the difference between HDMI vs Component is VERY NOTICABLE. Being that plasmas are fixed panel digital devices, going hdmi avoids the A --> D conversion. You would also best be served to get an HDMI upconversion player and go HDMI as well.

The differences between setup 1 and 2 will be very noticable.

Another option is to sell the 3805 and get a 3806 which has HDMI switching in it and a better room EQ(audyssey xt).

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

I would definitely try to avoid the S-video to component conversion. Use component and HDMI if necessary to do so.
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• dortiz
        • Mar 2005

The best option will be a receiver that also upconvets. The 3806 does turn Component in to HDMI but at its native rate. Some panels have an issue and lose sync. A model that upconverts 4806 or Yam2600 will solve this.
        Bigger problem is that the D* Tivo box has serious issues using HDMI. Most folks I know are sticking with component out.

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Do NOT use S-video! HDMI should look better (though not always) as you have a fixed pixel, digital display as Shane pointed out.
          Jason

Comment

• mitch57
            • Nov 2004

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm beginning to lean towards component from both my Tivo and DVD player to the receiver and component from my receiver to the plasma.

It sounds like this will be the simpliest and most functional considering there shouldn't be any conversion process going on since the denon will pass the signal as is.
            Mitch

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

It sounds like this will be the simpliest and most functional considering there shouldn't be any conversion process going on since the denon will pass the signal as is.
              Except A to D on the plasma.

Comment

• mitch57
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                Except A to D on the plasma.
                Correct! With the exception of A to D. But from what I've been hearing as I research it more there can be problems associated with HDMI where as the component connection is Rock Solid and in many cases out performs HDMI.
                Mitch

Comment

• wildfire99
                  • Aug 2005

If your source doesn't send out proper luminance levels on HDMI, then component can be better. Try both and pick the one that looks best.

I preferred component from my Sammy HD841 to my LCD monitor because it's digital out was weird with regard to black level and color (red shift). I could spot zero differences in clarity, except the component looked better because the digital noise was smoothed out due to (I presume) a lack of signal precision.
                  - Patrick
                  "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

I will say, many of my own sentiments regarding these newer transmission lines have been echoed here. You know, I consider myself techno savvy, especially from a wiring perspective, right? I have an HDMI to DVI connection that I have never been able to get working. I've tried at least 2 cables already. I'll say if nothing else, it sure can be frustrating. Whereas component, I just connect it up, I'm good to go just about every time without a hitch.

Lex
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Rolyasm
                      • Dec 2004

I guess there is no way to somehow "merge" existing wires into an HDMI. I am building a HT, in fact it is framed and painted. Unfortunately, I only wired composite from the back wall rack to the projector. With that big, fat head on the end of the HDMI cable, I doubt it will be an easy thing to snake. Any ideas? Thanks.
                      Roly

Comment

• bimmer528
                        • Sep 2004

I have read that if the plasma is not digital, component would be the better choice.

Sorry for my ignorance, I am buying a TV soon and would like some fact here.

Are all plasma's digital so hdmi is the ideal choice or are only some digital so component for the analog set's would be ok?

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

They're a pixel based display and hence all natively digital
                          Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Apr 2001

Are all plasma's digital so hdmi is the ideal choice or are only some digital so component for the analog set's would be ok?
                            Yes but even on my analog set, I can and have used DVI/HDMI. It is better but not so much as it is on the plasma sets where the difference is not subtle.

Roly,
                            Prepare to do a wall drop then. It's not that difficult and for a digital projector, you'll want HDMI especially if any HD DVD/Blu Ray discs are in your future.

Comment

• mitch57
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                              Yes but even on my analog set, I can and have used DVI/HDMI. It is better but not so much as it is on the plasma sets where the difference is not subtle.

Roly,
                              Prepare to do a wall drop then. It's not that difficult and for a digital projector, you'll want HDMI especially if any HD DVD/Blu Ray discs are in your future.
                              I found the opposite to be true on my plasma. When I plugged in the HDMI the picture got worse. I switched back to component and it was much better.

Perhaps it has something to do with the quality of the cables. I have good quality cables for the component connection and the cheap HDMI cable that came with Tivo when I did my comparrison tests.
                              Mitch

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"