X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimRawson
    • Oct 2004

Conundrum

Well... been a while since I posted. Had a Meridian system, 568 prepro, dsp5000 front 3. Awesome sound quality and simplicity. Then i needed to pay some bills plus realized the drivers only cost 130 per speaker - or 95% match.

Sold the speakers off. Aquired a pair of NHT evolution subs dirt cheap (30 bucks a driver). Built some full size cabinents with intent of 2 way monitor using the similar seas drivers as used in Meridian 5000's and plan to stereo sub (maybe post pics in mission possible forum). Picked up amp to drive subs with about 500-600 watts.

Now... considering receivers. Thinking of HK 635 with it's room correction. Figuring i'll "only" be pushing 2 way monitors, small super zero surrounds surrounds for now, and a MTM center eventually.

Main question... what are experiences with auto eq/correction?

Second question... will stepping back down to receiver be noticeble?

- Tim Rawson
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Tim, can't help with the first question other than to say it varies from maker to maker and also from room to room. FWIW, my equipment pre-dates auto-EQ. I like the idea of auto-calibration, especially when you can tweak the results to your personal taste.

Second - yeah, you are going to notice a big difference going from a Meridian 568 + amps to a receiver, no matter what receiver you choose. Where it'll be most noticable will probably be in the details - the subtleties of individual notes and their attack/decay, the micro- and macro-dynamics that high-level components can sort out and reproduce in a natural way that a receiver just can't.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

In reference to auto/eq correction, I have experienced it with a few installs and basically it boils down to this. It is effective and works well, however individual tweaking is in order, but it provides a very good baseline. Of course this probably varies from model to model, depending on mic sensitive etc.

Your second question, David summed it up perfectly. You will definitely lose detail and add coloration in comparison to your previous SSP, utilizing a receiver, I wish I had better news.

Good luck,

Azeke

Comment

• TimRawson
        • Oct 2004

I was thinking along the lines of HK435/635 which many rave about it's autoeq.

But, picked up a affordable (used) 5 channel (since I let my active speakers go) to try with my new speakers in construction due to complete this week.

Will see how that all integrates (bad habit of changing too many things at once) and then maybe "try" the receiver above for a in home comparison... Hard to really tell until it's there and can be compared directly.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"