X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OnlyOne
    • Aug 2003

Processor Advice with 1075 and B&W 7 Series

My first Rotel purchase with the RSX-1055 which I used with pride for a couple years. Then I bought the 1075 Amp to power my speakers and stopped using the onboard Amp. I just bought B&W 704s and the HTM7 Center channel, which will be delivered next week, and I was going to buy the RSP-1068 to make my system fully seperate.

For me that's a good lateral move that I would be happy with. but then I started thinking, if I'm going to spend the money, why not consider similarly priced SSPs with features the Rotel doesnt have.

I looked at the Outlaw 990 because of the onboard DVI switching, which while I can live without, it would be a nice addition for my needs. Can anyone give me an idea of how the 990/1075 combo would compare to the 1068/1075 combo? Or even some of the other < $2000 SSPs even.

Thanks in advance.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

While IMO the 1068 would be more of an upward than lateral move compared to the 1055, other good brands to look at would be one of the Sherwood Newcastle, Nad and Anthem in that general price range.

This will likely be moved to HT as it's not really Rotel specific and you'll likely get more responses there
    Jason

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

^^^ Yup...

On the Outlaw side, I've never been able to get past the looks..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nick M
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

I'd disagree.

While a completely different processor, I use the RMB-1075 with the older Outlaw Model 950 Pre/Pro. Outlaw makes great stuff. The 1068 sounds/looks great, but I heard no differences between the 1068 and 950. The new 990 has more features and a new body style so it looks great too. I've yet to hear it, but I'm currently recommending the Outlaw 990/7125 combo to my friends/family. Rotel has been plagued with problems regarding their processors. I love my 1075, but with the 990/7125 combo being $1898, I would skip Rotel all together and go Outlaw if starting from scratch.
        ~Nick

Comment

• OnlyOne
          • Aug 2003

From further research it looks like the 1068 upgrade would be much more of a sonic improvement than I thought. So it's not quite a lateral move anymore. But that being said, there is something about the Outlaw that is giving me pause. I'm not sure what it is.

I do agree that the 990 is about the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Given I have a very black and silver setup, and love the predominantly silver look of the Rotel, the 990 would be an eye sore in my equipment rack. But I'm trying to tell myself, that as long as it performs, I can live with that.

Still I'd love to hear from anyone who has paired Rotel Amps and B&W speakers with the 990, if anyones out there.

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

But that being said, there is something about the Outlaw that is giving me pause. I'm not sure what it is
            I bet it's the cost. It does have balanced outs and is based on the Sherwood P965. It is extremely nice but some folks hate the looks(me included).

Another one to consider is the Arcam 700. It lists for $2199 and is quite stellar. HDMI on board along with balanced outs.

The Sherwood is also nice. It features an AUTO ROOM EQ with 8 bands including your subwoofer amongst other things. They announced an add-on to it for $299 to add HDMI. The others have not. The Arcam has HDMI on board. It's also about $1,000 MORE money. This pre can be had for $1100-$1200 I've seen w/o really negotiating.
            Last edited by Shane Martin; 09 October 2005, 00:24 Sunday.

Comment

• OnlyOne
              • Aug 2003

The cost isnt a deterrent, as the 990 is only $1100. The Rotel is much more.

If anything, the deterrent might be that I love and trust the Rotel sound, and I have no experience with Outlaw, and no place to demo their equipment.

But the more I read, the more I think the 990 might be worth a shot.

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

Here are some reviews that may be helpful, the second review is more extensive:

Outlaw 990 review

Outlaw 990 extensive review

I have heard some compare it the Lexicon MC1 and say it is just as good or better. Your acoustical mileage may vary of course. It also has two DVI inputs and one output.

I would certainly consider the purchase, based on what I have read thusfar, and spend the extra money saved, elsewhere.

Just my thoughts, happy hunting.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"