X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Bryston 3B Fixed on the Cheap

I have an old Bryston 3B (circa 1983) that had a dead channel. This had happened before to the left channel. I took it in to my local repair shop and they charged me $200 to fix the amp. I was told the capacitor replaced was not cheap and that the labor added to the cost of repair. Basically they had my amp for ransom, and I had to pay it get it out.

This was about 2 years ago and things have been fine until the right channel decided to go. It looked to be the same problem so I decided to just shelf the amp for a while until I came up with a plan for a new sub amp, besides I had a few spare amps that I could/did press into service until then.

That was about 4 months ago until my buddy Cam came out for a visit from Calgary. Cam walked into my door and it was less that 2 minutes and we were in my workshop with the Bryston ripped apart diagnosing it's ailments.

Cam is an Electrical Engineer that is very anal at times about a lot of things, specifically the way the shop "Fixed" my Bryston the first time around. It was a real hack job as he called it and he often teased me about it. The shop yanked the old capacitor and grounding straps, soldered in the new capacitor with a soldering technique that looked like a person that had just learned to solder :lol: The capacitor was left flapping in the wind, held in place only with the soldered straps, a real piss poor job.

With in 15 minutes Cam had isolated the problem to one capacitor and we were looking online for the correct part. We found the part, a 10,000 mfd 65V capacitor at our local industrial supply for $16. The capacitor was actually physically smaller than the original Bryston caps, and as such it had to be fixed sort of like the shop fixed it the first round. The major difference is this did not cost me $200, and the job was not a "Hack" job of the highest order.

Many thanks to my buddy Cam for his brilliance and care in fixing this old boy. It is back in line now serving out power to my sub again, and I'm thrilled.

Attached Files
    Bing
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

:T Well done!
    Jason

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Thanks, I'm sure happy about it

I can't beleive I paid $200 the first round :M
      Bing

Comment

• george_k
        • Jan 2004

I took it in to my local repair shop and they charged me $200 to fix the amp.
        Your buddy did a superb job, night & day difference, just one question...did you take it to a bryston authorized dealer or some generalist repair shop?

You should probably have Cam fix the left channel as well for symmetry's sake

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Very nicely done. I concur with George, hopefully Cam can desolder and resolder the left channel cam, not only for aesthetics, but to ensure a quality fix. Wow, $200.00 for terrible workmanship. I am appalled.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Bing Fung
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by george_k
            Your buddy did a superb job, night & day difference, just one question...did you take it to a bryston authorized dealer or some generalist repair shop?

You should probably have Cam fix the left channel as well for symmetry's sake
            It was not an authorized Bryston repair depot. It is out of warranty and Bryston would have fixed it, however I would have had to ship it out.

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron so I suppose I could fix the side that was hacked by the repair shop to match Cams fix, I'm just lost when it comes to identifying and trouble shooting electronic components. Plus now that I have a workmanship standard as a guide, it should be easy :lol:

Azeke, you should have heard how appalled Cam was when he seen it... :rant: :lol:

Thanks guys :T

This is a funny shot as you can see that shop fixed capacitor flapping in the wind :lol:

Attached Files
            Bing

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

It's a shame you hadn't looked at it right after the place had fixed it and seen that, I would've taking it back and demanded my money back for the shotty work they did on that...

Heck, I used to do some "modifications" back to the old Playstation a long while back and I was new to soldering (well not really new, but didn't do it a lot) and I could've done a better job to fix your amp. Heck none of my Playstation modifications ever looked like that...

Sorry to hear you put out $200 for that fix... It's amazing it's still stayed together.
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

Thanks Pewter, it is a Hack of a solder job to be sure. I did those Playstation mods too :lol:
                Bing

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"