X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dortiz
    • Mar 2005

4-5K processor for Home theater and music

I am looking for some thoughts from folks who own any in the 4-5k range. I am seriously torn between the Classe SSp-300 and The Macintosh MX-119.
    Any thing else that folks are really happy with? Thoughts about these two?

Thanks

Dortiz
  • Owen Bartley
    • Sep 2005

It's a bit out of my range, so I can't speak as an owner, but have you thought about the Anthem processors? I've heard a lot of good things about them, and have always been a little partial towards them.
    - OJ -

My HT and DIY Tempest page
    My DVDs

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Is that including the power amps as well or just the processor? Other lines that you could look at would be the Krell's, Lexicon's, Arcam, Meridian and Anthem. The Rotel's, Sherwood-Newcastle, B&K and a few others all have upper end models as well but not quite at that price point...though they may give them serious competition from a sound stand point. Are you more intersted in HT or Music?

Comment

• dortiz
        • Mar 2005

Probably more music as far as being concerned for quality. I do use it a lot for HT though.
        I am running B&W 802ds and HTM2D for fronts with Classe Cam400 for front right and left amps.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by dortiz
          Probably more music as far as being concerned for quality. I do use it a lot for HT though.
          I am running B&W 802ds and HTM2D for fronts with Classe Cam400 for front right and left amps.
          The SSP-300 is the right choice (in my opinion) I mean really. You can set-up listening positions with it, that are perfect for a trimmed out two channel sound and then easy switch back and forth between two channel and a multi-channel music processing. One touch - each set-up totally custom... Too cool.

i'll explain further if you care to hear how I have the SSP-600 set-up, it works the same way...

Just my 2 cents
          Andrew M Ward

Comment

• dortiz
            • Mar 2005

Thats a cool feature! I could not find anything about zone 2 control. I use that a lot as well. Do you know if it can run two sources? Did you go with the SSP-600 because you have a balanced source?

Thanks

Comment

• dortiz
              • Mar 2005

Andrew,
              5k just for processor. I am going to research those other units.

Thanks

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                • Apr 2005

Thats a cool feature! I could not find anything about zone 2 control. I use that a lot as well. Do you know if it can run two sources? Did you go with the SSP-600 because you have a balanced source?

Thanks
                Zone two is selectable under "Controls" and you may select any source for zone two you desire.

I have a bunch of Balanced gear, so I went with the SSP-600

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

Classe has a reputation for delivering first rate musical performance in addition to outstanding surround for movie soundtracks. I was sorely tempted by Classe when I was in the marklet for a pre/pro a few years ago.

McIntosh is a classic brand, but tends to be a bit pricey for features and performance delivered. However, it will probably last longer than you will, unlike so many other compnents that get relegated to the scrap heap -- or ebay -- withing a couple of years of first providing delight.

A few other brands worth checking out are Bryston, Integra Research and Parasound.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• tmueller
                    • Sep 2004

I really like my Parasound Halo C2. I have owned several pre-pros and I feel that this guys sounds really good in both 2 channel and ht. It may not have the connectivity you are looking for (no hdmi yet) but it definitely is up to par with the Arcam AV8 and imo surpasses Rotel's top offering with ease in terms of sound, setup and calibration/tuning. Please p.m. directly if you would like to talk more about this or other pre-pros.

Good Luck with your search.

Tyler Mueller
                    Account Manager-Next Level AV

Comment

• dortiz
                      • Mar 2005

Thanks gang,
                      Not to steer off subject but part of my tearing away from Classe and over to the Mac was the XLR outs. The Cam 400s take XLR in. I wont use any true Balanced sources though. Thoughts regarding if this should be a deal breaker.

If so SSP-600 is too steep but the other choices let me go XLR out to amps.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                        • Apr 2005

Thanks gang,
                        Not to steer off subject but part of my tearing away from Classe and over to the Mac was the XLR outs. The Cam 400s take XLR in. I wont use any true Balanced sources though. Thoughts regarding if this should be a deal breaker.

If so SSP-600 is too steep but the other choices let me go XLR out to amps.

Thoughts?

Thanks
                        Yes,
                        they do let you make an XLR connection, but does the Mac have true balanced signal path... Nope. It converts the XLR to a single ended at the input.

It's not a true balanced board topology.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

The Bryston unit would offer you exceptional music as that's what they're known for. Its not long on features but if musical purity is what you want its hard to beat. I can't beleive I forgot the Halo's as well ops:

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

I've always been a big Bryston fan As Andrew mentioned there's not as extensive list of features as some other brands but the sound quality's there. Then again Classe's no slouch either :lol:

IMO balanced is a waste of time and money if you don't have EXTREMELY long and/or noisy cable runs, ESPECIALLY when your not using a 100% true balanced signal path.
                            Jason

Comment

• Pieter
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                              The Bryston unit would offer you exceptional music as that's what they're known for. Its not long on features but if musical purity is what you want its hard to beat. I can't beleive I forgot the Halo's as well ops:
                              I use the SP1.7 in Stereo Bypass mode and am very happy with it.

I've never used its digital capabilities, so can't comment there.

As Andrew says, it definitely lacks features and has a retro 70's look (good/bad).

I wouldn't buy one now, I'd wait to see if they up their hand in the coming version. Could be a while before they commit.

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

Actually that's a good point Pieter. With HDMI and HD-DVD/BluRay etc all on the cusp, if you need something RIGHT NOW, maybe you'd be better off with an "intermediate" pre/pro at say half your budget and then upgrade ina year or two once all those newfangled devices/connections are sorted out
                                Jason

Comment

• eddiem67
                                  • Jun 2004

The Bryston is the way to go if your a music buff, I love mine in bypass mode.
                                  My Car Audio

Comment

• Pieter
                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by eddiem67
                                    The Bryston is the way to go if your a music buff, I love mine in bypass mode.
                                    'Tis lovely isn't it!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2003

Dortiz,

One more thought - the Halcro SSP-80 as per http://www.halcro.com/logic/productsSSP80.asp is an interesting option. You'd need a discount to get it into the price range though...

Sounds amazing and has the HDMI etc switching...

Geoff

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Apr 2001

Anthem Statement D1. It's got all you need and more. The ugpradability is the big thing. It will have built in HDMI switching and scaling(unless something has changed).

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                          • Oct 2002

Another vote for the Anthem D1 in this price range.

I have try the Arcam AV8, Bryston SP1.7, Rotel RSP-1098, Integra 7.1, Parasound C1/C2.

But between all of those, you can't go wrong. They are all pretty good. Try to go out and try them if you can to choose the one YOU prefer.
                                          To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Adz
                                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Pieter
                                            I use the SP1.7 in Stereo Bypass mode and am very happy with it.

I've never used its digital capabilities, so can't comment there.

As Andrew says, it definitely lacks features and has a retro 70's look (good/bad).

I wouldn't buy one now, I'd wait to see if they up their hand in the coming version. Could be a while before they commit.
                                            As I mentioned in an earlier post, Bryston will shortly be announcing a major upgrade to the highly touted SP1.7 surround sound processor. The upgrade is focused purely on the digital side of things to bring the unit up to date and improve on its already top notch sound. Although many of the enhancements are already found on most of today's pre/pros, the upgrade wil be anchored by an all new digital board with one of the most powerful DSPs on the market, the Texas Instrument Aureus T1, which just by having the additional processing power by itself, I understand, should improve on the overall sonic quality of the unit (comments are welcome on this last point but that's what some knowledgeable audiophiles have pointed out).

Owners will need to send in their unit directly to Bryston for the upgrades as the old unit will need to be completey retrofitted. Cost to be announced shortly, but "it appears" (now nothing is certain until announced!!) that Bryston has once again proven to its loyal customers that they are truly committed to providing both hardware and softwares upgrades at a fraction of the cost of a new unit so customers can sleep at night knowing that they will not need to buy a new unit every 2-3 years as is the case with most other pre/pros (and certainly receivers) at the same price point.

Here is a list of only some of the New Features:

·New TI Aureus Audio DSP Chip

·7 x greater Processing Power

·New faster Micro-controller Board

·DTS 96/24 5.1 Surround Decoding

·Dolby 96/24 Two-Channel Surround PLIIX Decoding

·Four Independent Hi-Pass Subwoofer Crossover Points:Left/Right Front, Center, Left/Right Surrounds, Left/Right Backs

·7.1 Decoding from 2-Channel source in Dolby PLIIX Music & Film Modes

·7.1 Decoding from 2-Channel source in DTS NEO6 Music & Cinema Modes

·7.1 Surround Effects Decoding from 2-Channel sources

·96/24 Matrix Surround Modes in 5.1

·Dynamic Range Adjustment per Individual Input

·RS-232 Software Updates

·DSP Firmware Updates via SPDIF
                                            Last edited by Adz; 09 September 2005, 21:11 Friday. Reason: Spelling, etc.
                                            Adz

Comment

• Al Garay
                                              • Jan 2004

A friend of mine who has the same front B&W speakers (and 803s for rear) uses Mark Levinson preamp for music, also has Mark Levinson amps, bought Outlaw P990 for HT. Using balanced connections. Has it setup so he can bypass the Outlaw when listening to 2 channel music where the Mark Levinson is noticeably better in detail but you really have to pay attention. The Outlaw was suprisingly good for music, very good for DTS (multi-channel) and movies.

Relatively low expenditure that comes with 30 day trial. They have good resale. So, you will be in good position when the new formats are released, supposedly next year.

With all that said, I don't think you will be dissapointed with either the Classe or the MacIntosh. And if I alrady had the Classe m400 amps, I would give the advantage to the Classe and negotiate hard to get the Sp600 for the price you want. Then you'll have the balanced outputs you desire.

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                                • Oct 2002

Anthem just announced at CEDIA 2 major things coming for the D1 (D2):

-Room-eq is done and will come in soon

-Gennum VXP GF9350 : world class scaler

And just to think that Bhuskins, an HTguide sponsor talked about a "sub-par" scaler for the Anthem pre/pros a couple of months ago... You would have to pay around 3000-4000$ just for a Crystalio II or Optoma VX3000 scaler with the Gennum chip... Gennum is the Realta HQV direct competitor.
                                                To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• bhuskins
                                                  • Aug 2003

More bait?

You could get the Gennum processor for free in a Marantz S4 as well...

Too bad the Anthem units don't succeed in the sound department. :B :B :B

I couldn't resist.

LEVESQUE - You at the show...we should definitely meet up and compare notes. When is Anthem coming out with a player...did you see the D3 universal player from Halo?

Brent Huskins
                                                  Media Design
                                                  HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• gostan
                                                    • May 2003

With CEDIA this weekend, you will have to decide whether to jump in now or sit on the sideline and wait for one of the new upgraded hdmi switching pre-pros with new processor power. For example, Arcam has shown the new AV9 to replace the vernerable AV8. Here is a picture, but little info is yet available. I think the suggestion of purchasing an interim pre-pro and waiting for one of the newer upgraded pre-pro's is a good one and that is why I chose the Arcam AVP-700, which is absolutely fabulous for 2 channel. Lots of luck with your new purchase.
                                                    Attached Files
                                                    Stan

Comment

• Pieter
                                                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Adz
                                                      As I mentioned in an earlier post, Bryston will shortly be announcing a major upgrade to the highly touted SP1.7 surround sound processor...
                                                      Shoooooooooooorrrrrrrrrtly?

Comment

• Adz
                                                        • Jan 2004

Shoooooooooooorrrrrrrrrtly?
                                                        I know, really.
                                                        I understand that at CEDIA this week, Bryston had on display the new pre/pro called the "SP2" with an official announcement scheduled for the end of this month (Sept).

<link to other forum deleted by admin. Information needs to be from more official sources, plus this has drifted pretty far from original thread request.>
                                                        Last edited by Adz; 11 September 2005, 16:20 Sunday.
                                                        Adz

Comment

• dortiz
                                                          • Mar 2005

Not really. This is exactly what I was looking for. Processors and what new versions are out there. Stay with it.

Comment

• Adz
                                                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Adz
                                                            I know, really.
                                                            I understand that at CEDIA this week, Bryston had on display the new pre/pro called the "SP2" with an official announcement scheduled for the end of this month (Sept).

<link to other forum deleted by admin. Information needs to be from more official sources, plus this has drifted pretty far from original thread request.>
                                                            I respectfully disagree with the admin here for deleting my post to another forum. Here are my reasons:

1. The forum I referenced was from the manufacturer's circle sponsored by Bryston where James Tanner VP and part owner of Bryston Ltd. is the moderator. So, I would call that as "official" as you can get, no?? The thread I referenced discusses the new pre/pro and several posts are by Mr. Tanner himself. Again, pretty official to me.

2. Has this thread drifted? Absolutely not. The original author of this really good thread asked for info on pre/pros in the $4-5k range. Bryston is coming out with a new pre/pro and its in the $4-5k range. Can't get any more on point than that.

Imagine if the poster (dortiz) went out and bought the Bryston 1.7 and then less than a month later, the new version came out. That would really suck for him. So, I am bringing real information to this forum to help people out such as this poster so they make informative decisions. And he must agree with me, look at his post directly above this one.

Was I so naive to think that only "cable" talk was restricted? Anyway, I appreciate the ability to at least voice my rejection.
                                                            Adz

Comment

• Pieter
                                                              • Jan 2005

Could we see that link again, please?

I did not catch it, and would like to.

Comment

• Adz
                                                                • Jan 2004

Could we see that link again, please?

I did not catch it, and would like to.
                                                                You need to email me directly. I am prohibited from posting the link for some reason. Sorry about that.
                                                                Adz

Comment

• Pieter
                                                                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Adz
                                                                  You need to email me directly. I am prohibited from posting the link for some reason. Sorry about that.
                                                                  Thanks for your e-mail; got it.

Comment

• Adz
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2004

Update to Bryston Release of SP2:

Bryston customers and other loyalists convinced the owners to include an EQ option in the upcoming SP2.

- New digital board will do basic global EQ for bass and treble.
                                                                    - Up to 32 bands of Parametric EQ active
                                                                    - Downloadable software upgrade

Imagine trying to get that done with another company.
                                                                    Adz

Comment

• Pieter
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Adz
                                                                      Update to Bryston Release of SP2:

Bryston customers and other loyalists convinced the owners to include an EQ option in the upcoming SP2.

- New digital board will do basic global EQ for bass and treble.
                                                                      - Up to 32 bands of Parametric EQ active
                                                                      - Downloadable software upgrade
                                                                      Hmmm! Now that would tempt me to upgrade my SP1.7.

Comment

Working...
                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                      Search Result for "|||"