An interesting thread regarding amplifiers.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LNeilB
    • Jun 2005

An interesting thread regarding amplifiers.

Worth a read.
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

LNeilB, please summarise the interesting points for us.

Comment

• LNeilB
      • Jun 2005

Sure.

What I find most interesting is the fact that this has not degnerated to the point of a knock-down-drag-out fight as this topic often does.

And people are thinking more (than I have seen in recent memory) about the how and why. It's sparked intersting conversation.

Like here

That was my point.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Heck, I even posted on that Mad thread when I saw it this morning-

I've been so busy the last few months I don't often get over there these days- have to cut back somewhere...

~Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by LNeilB
          It's sparked intersting conversation.

Like here

That was my point.

Cheers,

Neil
          Yes Neil, I agree that is interesting. After reading tboooe's post at http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...066#post189066 I felt like dumping my inadequate Rotel RB-1080 amp immediately, but after reading that thread I'll hold off going to the rubbish tip for the meantime, confident that I can derive listening pleasure from a wide range of equipment.

Comment

• LNeilB
            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
            Yes Neil, I agree that is interesting. After reading tboooe's post at http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...066#post189066 I felt like dumping my inadequate Rotel RB-1080 amp immediately, but after reading that thread I'll hold off going to the rubbish tip for the meantime, confident that I can derive listening pleasure from a wide range of equipment.
            I'm still not certain what you're getting at, despite having read this a few times...

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

I understood your key point to be that some people think more deeply than others about why some amps sound better to some people than they do to other people. I believe that I am one of those people. For example, I think that just because someone else listens to a particular amp in their environment and reports that it sounds less than wonderful, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is inferior. The reason for this is that there are so many variables that make the listening experience unique in each person's home, not to mention the fact that we all have different ears. My second point is all about having a positive outlook and making the best of every listening experience. I listen to a lot of music at other people's homes, frequently on unspectacular equipment. I never let the equipment spoil my enjoyment of the music being played or the circumstances in which the music is being played. I therefore consider myself to be a strong supporter of avoiding letting discussions about amplifiers or any other hi-fi eqiuipment degenerate into the type of behaviour that you mention. If I understood you correctly then I believe you and I are of a similar mind. Do you agree?

Comment

• LNeilB
                • Jun 2005

Certainly

I agree completely. Some pieces can sound bad in some systems and good in others. But some of the folks who post on these topics can't believe that.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"