X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

Longer runs of audio or video cables?

Hi members, got a question for all you again. I'm going to be setting up my system in a new room in the next couple of weeks and need some advice from your experiences. The projector will be towards the rear of the room, so I'm not sure where to put all the components. If I put the components near the projector, I'd need longer speaker cable runs to reach to the mains and the center channel which will be towards the front of the room. If I put all the components further away from the projector, I'd need longer DVI cable to the projector. Which way will be more of a sacrifice in performance? I guess what I'm asking is, what would you do and which way sacrifices performance the least? Thanks.
  • Snap
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2005

Blaze,
    Speaker wire is definaly cheaper than DVI cable. If location and looks are not the issue then save money and move the gear closer to the projector. How many feet are we talking about any ways? my .02
    The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• K.K.
      • Jul 2005

I thought about this too a few months back. In the end I settled for running one long HDMI cable (15m) and keeping my equipment in front next to the speakers. In my case, the 15m HDMI cable is definitely cheaper than 3 long runs of bi-wired loudspeaker cables!

I did have a concern regarding using long HDMI cable since this normally don't work well beyond 10m. I was lucky to get away with it. I've also read that there are now booster devices available that can join two shorter HDMI/DVI cables without signal degradation.
      Last edited by K.K.; 08 August 2005, 13:21 Monday.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
        • May 2004

well...my room is much smaller than your guys and I for sure won't need it as long as 10 meters, either way. If I go with longer speaker cables, it'll be about 20 ft for the mains and center. If I go with longer video cables, it'll be about 20 ft. of DVI/HDMI cable.

Comment

• Snap
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2005

Blaze,
          It sounds to me then it will all go down to, "were do you want your AV gear to be" That short of distance is not going to be a factor.
          Good luck man!
          The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"