X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Armbender
    • Jul 2005

Subwoofer Help

I am looking to upgrade my currrent subwoofer to go with my B&W 604/Bryston system.
    I have tested the earthquake MK IV 12 which sounded good but winded when it worked. (Mixed reviews for 5-Ch use)
    I havent heard the B&W 675 but had good reviews. If i chose this setup I would get two.
    Or the Veledyne DD18 which was awesome at the store in 5-Ch but unsure about its 2 channel capability

I want something tight for 2-Ch but nice and deep for 5-Ch.
    I will be upgrading my 604's for 802's in the next couple of years so I want my choice to be compatible with both systems.

Any reviews on theses 3 set-ups would be great
    Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

I've heard the B&W and the Velo DD series. The DD series is the best of the 3 but it is also the most expensive by a large margin. They utitilize Servo controlled technology which has some issues. It's not perfect by any stretch. My friend had one(HGS series) before he replaced it with his SVS setup. The biggest thing that is going for the Velo would be the EQ.

The B&W is "musical" if you wish to use that word but deep bass is not its forte'.

Alternatives to these would be:
    DIY(DO it yourself): Not all of us can do this
    Paradigm Servo 15v2: 1/2 price of the DD18.
    HSU VTF3MK2: A pair of these would give all 3 of these a run for their money.
    SVS Pb12/2 Ultra: still cheaper than the DD and would outperform it in the deep bass.

AVTalk is doing some comparison tests(measurements) on their board. I'd like to see the #'s on the new Servo 15. Supposedly they are vastly better but they should be for the huge increase in price.

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

They utitilize Servo controlled technology which has some issues.
      And what might those be?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Given your location the Paradigm Servo 15 is going to be difficult to beat for the dollar unless you are willing to consider the custom route.

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

David,
          The main issue is basically a limiter built in it. As distortion goes up, the servo kicks in to limit it. The more this happens, the quicker compression sinks in which basically limits the output. For some this can happen past the point where it matters, for some it happens to soon. I treat it just like this: Your wife has the volume knob and decides when to turn it down.

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Granted, the servo mechanism does minimize distortion by comparing the incoming and outgoing signals several thousand times a second and then modifies the output to correct it. And within that function is does limit the output to a degree, but the limitation varies from brand to brand and model to model. In Tom Nousiane's uber-comparison of subs, the Velodyne FSR-15 (which I run) was measured at 109.1 Db of output in his 2400 cubic-foot room. And just to re-iterate, because of the servo-mechanism, it's the true bass signal being produced, no bloating, etc.

Comment

• Snap
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Shane Martin
              David,
              For some this can happen past the point where it matters, for some it happens to soon. I treat it just like this: Your wife has the volume knob and decides when to turn it down.
              Wow what a great analogy Shane. Well said :amen:
              The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

of output in his 2400 cubic-foot room.
                His room is 3x that size. That # is also at 25hz. Sadly the Energy 12.3 outperformed it(by a little) recently for 1/2 the money.

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Please describe the performance parameters you consider important in a sub.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2001

Thanks Snap. Edward JM aka Ed Mullen depending on which forum you go to(avs or HTF) has a better description of what is exactly going on technically with a servo. He's more technically inclined than I am. Obviously other manufacturers have figured out how to make the same bass louder for less not using the Servo mechanism.
                    If servo was all that, everyone would be using one

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                      • Jan 2004

If you want a truly musical sub for 2-channel then go dipole, if you want real infrasonic high output and very musical then go IB. Either way it will be custom or DIY to get what you are asking for. IMO after hearing box-less subs you cant go back to a box ever again, too many nasty sounding side effects unless the box is huge.
                      My Center Channel Project

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"