X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

Which Home Theater will fit?

Gentlemen and Ladies I would like to start a discussion on which system is best used in what size room.

To clarify..................Many Home theater receivers are 5.1 / 6.1 / 7.1
    How does one determine which format/receiver would best fit a room. What are the benifits of a 6.1 system over a 5.1? Also what are the rules with speaker placements?

Tell me or show me why you chose yours.

Also does THX really matter?

Thank you.
    CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
  • JetFlyGuy
    • Jan 2005

I don't beleive that THX makes any difference at all, as it does not guarantee that any particular product is well suited to a specific application. A novice who atenmpted to match components simply because each was THX certified would not be assured much success, and an experienced HT enthusiast would have not need such a certification in order to have success, so beyond being a marketing tool, I do not feel that THX has much relevance in the consumer market.

As for 5.1/6.1/7.1, My fear here is that people are going to try and stretch their dollar further in attempts to get more channels, and in the process sacrifice quality for quantity. I am very conifident that a well implemented 5.1 system will always outperform a 6 or 7 channel system that is designed to sell for the same price.

Comment

• Snap
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2005

Uncle,
      Great topic...

My AV is 3805 that has 7.1. How ever I got it for Power and a host of other features, not becuase it has 7.1.
      In my case there is no way that I can have anything more that 5.1 surround.(Not that the wife will allow ) I have no side walls in my living room. (they are BIG walkways) The sofa is against the back wall. So I have 2 walls to work with. That leaves 5.1 the only system that will work for my living room. (aside from having everything in the middle of the living room, and it making my living room look ugly and my wife getting mad)

As far as THX goes.... I wanted Denon.....Denon THX stuff is $$$$$$$$... so I did not get it. It was a Money thing more than a sound thing to not get a THX. Jet might be right though about the sound regarding THX stuff and NON THX stuff. I am definatly NOT the expert on THX certification. (I have not heard the difference. in a THX vs no THX receiver. Like 4806 and a 3805 Denon) First glance it seems to be a waste of money.

So..... ops: wondered sorry... I would buy what you need and will use. I did not need 7.1 surround I needed power. I got the power, which just happend to bring the 7.1

Personal pref. Spend more time and money on speakers than the Reciever.
      The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Uncle Clive
        Former Moderator
        • Jan 2002

Point taken.

In what type of room size and layout would your denon be most suited to be able to use all seven channels?
        CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Snap
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2005

I would need a room that the rear surrounds could actually be behind the sofa (not on the sides like they are now), and either walls on the sides of the room, or not care that there were speakers on stands in the middle of the room right in the walk way.

I do like the power of the Denon though. :T
          The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"