X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thoom
    • Jul 2005

Center Channel Placement: Above or Below

I think it is understood that the ideal placement for a center channel is BEHIND the screen but since many of use do not *yet* have projectors and perforated screens we are using projection or panel monitors. I would like to start a current discussion, based on experience, on the pros and cons of placing a center channel BELOW the screen. Thanks
    GOOD
    89.29%
    BAD
    10.71%
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Mine is below the screen and angled upward.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Stoney
      • Dec 2004

Mine sits on top of the TV, angled down. I also frequently use the "center in" option of the TV which feeds the center channel data to the TV speakers (below the screen) in addition to the center channel above powered from the amp.
      Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
      Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
      B&W DM605 S2 Mains
      DM602 S2 Surrounds
      DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
      CC6 S2 Center.
      ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• zac108au
        • May 2005

With a perferated screen do you have to compromise on picture quality?

Comment

• junior77blue
          • Nov 2004

I believe all movie theathers have preforated screens...since most speakers are behind the screen.

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Most movie theatres have perforated screens, a few have soild screens that curve, they are built in a box and a vacuum draws the screen inward giving a concave shape. In this type of install the special made speakers sit above the screen and fire downward. In my opinon they sound terrible that way. If you visit any AMC theatre that was bulit in the late 90's early 00's you probably have seen one.
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I've had my CC in both positions. In my first HT it sat on top of my 36" tube-type TV and then in number two, for a time, it sat on top of my 58" RPTV. I recessed the RPTV into the wall and moved the CC to sit just below and in front of the screen with it angled to point directly at ear height in the listening position. I prefer the last arrangement for a couple of reasons. First, the speaker is totally de-coupled from the structure of the RPTV and thus there is no chance of adding any boominess or "muddiness" to the CC's sound. Secondly, it's a much less obtrusive look as the speaker is a black ash finish and blends very well with the front of the Pioneer. With the speaker just below the bottom of the screen, there's no sense of directionality at all. Voices appear to come right out of the picture.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• RobP
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Hey David, that is the same way that I have mine, I first had my HTM2 above my Pioneer 58" then when I purchased my HTM1 I put it on a stand in front , I have to say that I prefer the sound on the stand rather than above. By the way, dont you just love that Pioneer?????
                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• sdecker
                  • Jun 2002

I have my center on top of my TV. I'm using a Klipsch kg 4.2 upside down, it sounds great

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                    Most movie theatres have perforated screens, a few have soild screens that curve, they are built in a box and a vacuum draws the screen inward giving a concave shape. In this type of install the special made speakers sit above the screen and fire downward. In my opinon they sound terrible that way. If you visit any AMC theatre that was bulit in the late 90's early 00's you probably have seen one.
                    That's just one of the reasons why I sit three rows from the top!
                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

A big DITTO here David! Like SG, been there done that. I too have my RPTV recessed and center bottom mounted on an isolated speaker stand and angled 8 degrees toward the listener. Best way to go in my book.
                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                        • Sep 2001

A few years ago when I was using a 32 inch XBR direct view set, I had a somewhat smaller (than I am using now) center channel speaker sitting on top of the TV. Given the design of the cabinet, it was tilted toward the listening area ear height without any additional wedging. The main tower speakers were aligned adjacent to the sides of the TV (but forward of it).

Given the small size of the video image, the sound -- left, right and center -- was always "larger" than the postage stamp picture, and there was no illusion that much, if any, of it was coming from that area.

That changed with front projection. The newer (somewhat larger) center channel speaker would not fit on the edge of the wall mounted projection screen :>) so it got placed on a stand slightly lower than ear height below the screen at an equal distance from the sweet spot as the front and right main speakers (they are positioned on an imaginary "semicircle").

The center is tilted slightly upward to fire directly at the listeners’ ears, and when the lights are off and a movie is playing, the illusion of voices coming directly from the actors' mouths at their positions in the picture is uncanny.

Bottom line -- another vote for "below the screen". However, my “real vote” is for “whatever works best for you with your equipment in your own home environment”.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                          Hey David, that is the same way that I have mine, I first had my HTM2 above my Pioneer 58" then when I purchased my HTM1 I put it on a stand in front , I have to say that I prefer the sound on the stand rather than above. By the way, dont you just love that Pioneer?????
                          Do I ever!!!!! :banana: Even though it's the Pro Elite 610 series - the earliest one - the picture just never ceases to please.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• JetFlyGuy
                            • Jan 2005

Being that the tweeter is the highest point on the HTM3, the apparant sound is closer to the center of the screen when the speaker is placed below the screen than above.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"