What Amp to use with with N803 & N804???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

What Amp to use with with N803 & N804???

I am 50%-50% Music listner of all types of Music and an avid HT fan so I have upgraded from B&W 703 front,704 rear and now since one week NEW N803 front and N804 rear and ASW850 Sub, Center HTM1, and Rotel 1065 Amp which 100 watts. for 5.1.
    My problem is that Rotel 1065 with B&W 703,704 the sound was Agressive and full range( which I love) and brought the lows and highs to its best, but now with N803 and N804 the sound is quite flat with Rotel 1065 as I believe not enough watts. It sounds quite good on bleeding high volume and brings out all the Bass and Mids perfect but the volume must be quite high to enjoy and that bothers me and the family.
    I have just ordered the Rotel 1095 Amp which is 5.1 /200 watts per channel and the processor 1098 by Rotel..Will that do the job to drive the speakers at low volume so that they have their full dynamic range of lows and highs at low volumes and make them sing??? Or should I seriously look into another Amp. or is this more that sufficient.??For the time being, I am excersizing my new speakers by breaking them in with the Rotel 1065 but my new Amp./ Proces. will arrive in three weeks. I got the the Amp. and Processor for $5600 which I have not paid yet and can switch to any other model to drive these beautiful speakers. Do you think I should get what I ordered or spend more money well spent on lets say Krell or any other Amp. and Processor which would last for years to come and feel I did the best to get my speakers singing and not have to upgrade next year for example. I just want to get the best performance out these speakers without blowing them. I listen to Rock,Jazz,R & B, Pop, all types of Music and half the time watch Movies. So please help me URGENTLY as I have to make a decision immediately and I am totally confused because the Rotel at high volume is driving the N803 and N804 well but at high volumes so wouldn't the 1095/1098 be sufficient as they are very classy components and give very clean sound??????????????? I respect all comments please??!!!
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

I was recently in the same position, seeking urgent help. The best advice is to "listen" to Amps within your budget range. I had the 1095 driving 804S' and I switched to Krell Kav 2250 and 3250 and there was a remarkable difference in sound. There is more to it than the watts produced as more watts means more power to drive hungry speakers, but it may not mean a different sound. Many people on the Rotel Club threads talk about their experience with B&W and Rotel Amps. You can go there and read a little. Personal taste is what you will find when you listen yourself to several amps that can be offered to you. Note: IMHO Better quality Amps will sound better at lower volumes.

Comment

• chinets
      • Jun 2005

Thank you misterdogy for your kind comments. What does IMHO mean and does the i095 Rotel sound bad that you swithched? Also if I decide to stay with Rotel 1095 will it drive my speakers to sing at low volumes and get all the best out of the speakers or should I seriously consider Krell Kav 2250 and 3250? Sholud I switch to Krell Amp but stay with the Rotel 1098 processor that looks brilliant. By the way how much was the Krell Kav 2250 and 3250 ?so that I can make up my mind ,as I will follow your suggestion as you said it sounded better.You obviously switched and you are probably a very experienced Audiophile. Thanks for your time and effort!!!!I appreciate it!!

Comment

• misterdoggy
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

I would not consider myself an expert, by any means. Not on this chat group anyhow. Krell is probably double the price. I think the KAV 2250 which is 2x250 watts is somewhere in the $7000. Range You get what you pay for though.

IMHO: In my humle opinion

Comment

• chinets
          • Jun 2005

Thanks, Misterdoggy for your kind comments. I don't mind paying that difference of 200 dollars more if I will be happy for several years as I don't like upgrading every few years or so. If I get the Krells you suggested humbly will i get what i paid for. I mean just beautiful singing speakers with all its dynamic colours at low volume with that Krell set up ypu have . If you say yes..I will do just that. Otherwise I will have to opt fot Rotel 1095/1098 combo. Thanks my friend for your keen advice..I really aprreciate it. Have a wonderful day. Merci bien!!!!!!

Comment

• chinets
            • Jun 2005

I meant 2000 dollars or more..hit the key wrong!!! Sorry Misterdoggy. Can you describe for me the kell you have and is it the latest model and is it 200 watts or more and how is the processor, is it loaded?? Thanks. Chau!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• kurtholz
              • Feb 2005

Greetings

i started with Rotel to, changed to Krell, HUGE difference, i am running N803's, and htm1 front, i use the krell 7.1 showcase processor and the 3250 3 channel amp for those, i still use the rotel 1095 for the rear surrounds and rear center, i am very happy with that,very

it's worth the extra money, my previous was the new Rotel 1067 and 1075 amp, the 1095 is in my opinion a huge leap in quality sound

what i like the best is, at low levels, it just sounds great, the few moments i get home alone, cranked, and i mean cranked, the Krell just seems endless in power, soundstage still blows me away

good luck

Kurt

Comment

• misterdoggy
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Chinets,
                I'm running the Krell Kav 2250 2x250 watts for the fronts and Krell Kav 3250 for the center and surrounds with a Parasound C1 Halo Processor. At low levels there is still a warm sound with lots of detail. A sign of a good Amp. They also have the KAV TAS which is 5x200 watts per channel and less money invested. There are lots of Amplifiers out there in this price range and the best thing to do is to listen to as many as you can to makeyour own opinion.

best of Luck
                Bruce

Comment

• Adz
                  • Jan 2004

Do you have to buy from your dealer and thus stuck with only what he carries? You mention Krell which is generally a few thousand more (or several thousand more) than the Rotel at equal wattage. You might want to consider Earthquake's Cinenova 5 channel amp. Its rated at 300 watts per channel, mine tested at 351 per channel and it gets stellar reviews. Its just a tad bit more than the Rotel but far better in my opinion. It'll certainly take those B&W's to the Next Level (no pun intended, Jimmy). Further, it doesn't come with the Rotel quality control problems so many others have encountered. We all know what its like to have to make a quick decision, and don't want to make the wrong one.
                  Adz

Comment

• Brahma
                    • Jun 2005

IMHOA (In my humble opinion also) you would find a drastic improvement upgrading to the 1095 Rotel however these speakers would still be lacking somewhat because of the amp.

As others suggest there are many other amp manufacturers out there, and other possibilities of configuration if you are keeping within a budget, like utilising your current Rotel 1065 for rears only and adding a new 3 channel amp.

Either McIntosh, Classe or Krell with these speakers.
                    Brahma

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"