• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Murunga
    • Feb 2005

N803 vs N804 for surround

Room 15' x 39'
    listening = 90% HT, 10% music

I bought a pair of N802's for the front.
    I will use (future) N805 for rear.
    HTM1 center.

Now, to fill the middle, N803's or N804's? The cost difference is not that much but is there much difference in sound? Please know I will add an amp for my front mains and center. I do not plan on using an amp for the surround (or rear)speakers for quite awhile. My Denon AVR5803 will perform this task at this time. I have heard (read actually) that the 804's and 805's are extremly well matched.

Thank you in advance.

Murunga
  • johan
    • Dec 2004

If your listening is 90% HT then both N804 and N803 will be a waste of money. Go for another pair of N805 or SCM1. Then you'll have the best match possible and an easier task for your reciever. Good luck!

Comment

• Jeff
      • Dec 2004

I agree with johan on not going with the floor standing speakers. I've always thought side speakers sound best when they are elevated. These are used primarily for effects in HT. Sounds like your putting together a great system. :T

Comment

• Murunga
        • Feb 2005

Thanks guys. I just assumed for a little more the *04's would provide better sound than 805's or SCM's. But, if I am not going 803's or 4's, then I think (because I really don't know, thats why I'm here : ) ) that a DS6 might be better yet for suround. Now I did see a DS8 dipole but I think its part of the Sig line and not Nautilus line. I still may have to use floor standers as surounds though because I can't mount anything on one side (window there). I know I can mount 805's or even a SCM or DS6 on a stand but what does a dipole look like on a stand? I have floor standers there now I'm replacing and it has worked out well. Hmmm, I'll have to think on this some more...
        thanks guys!!

Murunga

Comment

• junior77blue
          • Nov 2004

Well the 804/803 is at the same height as the 805 with stands. Unless you wall mount the 805, I don't see the advantage. SCM's would be a different comparison.

Comment

• Dan Schulze
            • Jun 2003

Murunga,

I currently use N805's for both my surrounds and my rear speakers. They are both mounted on stands. I used to have switchable dipole/bipole speakers that were mounted on the wall above my head by about 3 feet. I was concerned about using the 805's on stands compared to what I was used to. Once getting the N805's (and adding the rear speakers), I have no concerns about the 805's as surround/rear speakers. IMHO, they are awesome in that task.

I still don't have my surrounds positioned exactly where I would like them, but space is the issue.

Check out my current set-up with the link in my signature. Hope this helps.

Dan
            I want to be SHAKEN not stirred!!

Comment

• Murunga
              • Feb 2005

Great set up Dan!!! How do you keep all them cables so neat? I could hardly see them!!!

Murunga

Comment

• Dan Schulze
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Murunga
                Great set up Dan!!! How do you keep all them cables so neat? I could hardly see them!!!

Murunga
                Thanks, but I have to let you in on a secret - if I was to disassemble and reassemble my system (which I have had to do on several occasions, because of upgrades) it is a several hour job. When I put my cables back in place, I painstakingly work from the bottom of my component rack to the top one by one. I try to create some type of pattern. And if you believe this, I actually enjoy doing that! Am I twisted or what!! Even with that effort, there still is a "rat's nest" at the bottom. :roll:

Anyway, although this is a bit of topic, I have attached a few photos quick photos I took of the "back stage" area.

Enjoy,

Dan
                Attached Files

Comment

• Dan Schulze
                  • Jun 2003

Here is a couple more pictures.

Dan
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"