X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boaly
    • Jun 2005

Amp Upgrade or Repair?

Hi All,
    Here's a bit of a multi part question so please bear with or skip to the next post! I've currently got an Onkyo Amp, the DS575 which I bought about 6 years ago and have been very happy with. On the weekend the centre speaker stopped pumping out speech whilst I was watching a DVD. I've checked the speaker, cable etc which are fine and now assume it's an issue with the Amp. My first question is - is it possible for the centre channel to fail and all the other channels to be ok? I can happily switch the centre to off on the Amp and listen to the centre through the front speakers but why have an Amp and a centre if I'm going to do that! So if it's the Amp should I get it repaired or should I think about upgrading. I was looking at the Onkyo tx-sr701 but as I currently have my set-top box and media pc linked directly to my Plasma tv and linked to the amp only by digital co-ax and optical, is it worth the upgrade? I used to route everything including video through the Amp but with the new HD plasma I'm hooking the picture straight in and *only* using the Amp for audio. Do I need to upgrade to a high-end(ish) Amp simply to stick a couple of digital cables into it and hook up my surround (I'll stick to 5.1 too for now) speaker system?
    Sorry if this seems like a confused question, I know what I'm doing with this set-up and money isn't an issue, I just wonder what the need is for all the inputs available in my current set-up. Will I notice a significant audio difference from my current Amp to the new THX capable one?
    Genuine questions folks and one I'm open to any opinions on.
    TIA for any feedback
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

It's a slightly confused question Kidding ... welcome to the forum :T

You may or may not need all the inputs that are available on many receivers- that depends on your specific equipment. Routing your video direct to the television or projector is fine, and recommended by some as providing better picture quality - you just give up the convenience of switching audio and video simultaneously.

A better receiver is not better solely because of having more inputs at the back, but more because of providing better sound quality, higher power (possibly), and more control over items such as sound delay, bass management, etc.

THX is a set of standards to which some brands are certified. There's nothing wrong with the THX standards, but there's also much audio equipment that's very good which is not THX certified (because for example the manufacturer is not interested in paying THX license fees).

I'd replace it, based on it being 6 years old - it's not necessarily worn out, but it maybe old enough to not spend a bunch of money on it.

Paul

Comment

• RenoReno2
      • Jan 2005

Well I went from a txds 838 (I think that was the model number, it was the lowest model integra onkyo sold) to a txsr 701 and I was pretty happy. It wasn't by choice though, the 838 kept having problems with the volume constantly jumping up and down. I then received the 701 as a replacement due to the constant problem. I've now upgraded to a B&K ref 50 and 125.7, though I still have the receiver sitting in storage. Kind of undecided whether I'm going to use it for the bar area of the basement or use the adcom system. have a adcom amp already just need the preamp.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"