best 2 or 5 channel amp for subtle mids....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • methenyfan11
    • May 2005

best 2 or 5 channel amp for subtle mids....

Hey Folks,

As noted in an earlier thread, I am struggling with strident mids in a system I am auditioning. I have tried changing room dynamics, wire, cables, breaking in more, etc, but the mids are still too strong for my ears, leading to fatigue and an urge to turn it down - which is hardly the end result I want! All the other aspects are breathtakingly beautiful, details, imaging, etc., but the mids detract. I listen to multichannel music 40%, 2 channel music 50%, movies 10%.

The commom denomiinator is the amp. ( I ran the B&W's with a receiver, and although the sound was relatively anemic, the mids were fine. I then tried my old speakers with the Rotel Amp, and they too had very forward mids compared to the way they sounded with the receiver).

So I'm in the market for a quality amp, one that matches or exheeds the build quality, detail and power of the Rotel 1095, but with more subtle mids (for example at the range of Nora Jone's voice - it should never be piercing).

Do you folks have any ideas? Classe? Mac?

System I'm auditioning:

Rotel 1068 pre/pro (love it)
    Rotel 1095 amp
    B&W 703 (but mayl also audition Def Tech 7001)
    Source is Sony DVP 975 DVD/CD/SACD, but using digitial cables for all but SACD, so the Rotel is doing the processing.
  • cuda65
    • Feb 2005

Try an Anthem Amp. The price is comparable to Rotel. I really like mine. Hopefully you have a dealer near you that will let you try it at home. Good luck in your search.

www.anthemav.com Check for dealer near you here. Also for more information on the Amps. Where are you located?
    Doug

Comment

• methenyfan11
      • May 2005

Thanks for the Anthem lead!

I had assumed that there was little or nothing to compare to Rotel right in its price range, so I am taking heart that there is something else in the same price range where I might find similar quality but a more forgiving midrange sound.

If I have to spend more I will though because it makes no sense to spend nearly 2K on an amp and not be totally thrilled w/it's particular sonic characteristics!

Comment

• Snap
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2005

What about Earthquake? They make a 3 chan amp, and with the 7 chan amp comming soon, they might be unloading the 3 chan for a reduced price?

Bryston makes a good amo from what I hear.
        The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• methenyfan11
          • May 2005

OK, thanks!

more to put on my "to try" list. A three channel could work since I could use my old receiver to run the rears if I needed to. Maybe I could get the most fidelity overall by putting the money "up front" (in the front 3), and leaving the rears to upgrade later. What do you think?

Comment

• cuda65
            • Feb 2005

That is what I did. I bought the Anthem MCA 30 (3 channel amp) and use it with my Denon 3300 for now. I may trade up to the MCA 50 if I can. But I am very happy with the 30. When I bought the 30 I also bought all my Paradigm speakers and couldn't swing the 50. I didn't want to finance them.

Have fun auditioning. :T
            Doug

Comment

• methenyfan11
              • May 2005

Thanks again! As I make a list of amps to audition, does anyone have a sense of which amps are strong on detail in the high end, but more forgiving in the mids?

Also, am I the only one who is finding the Rotel amp a bit upfront in the mids? I'm wondering if my ears are particularly sensitive in a certain range compared to most listeners or whether the Rotel is known for strong mids.

Cheers!

Comment

• gd
                • Jan 2003

I'm not sure anybody can give you a correct answer to your mid dilemma that will be a quick fix... we all hear differently, and often go on to describe the same amp differently... you might have some auditioning to do before resolving this.

Personally, I might look at alternative speakers first... although there are quite a few folks on this forum very happy with their Rotel / B&W combos... remember, you've made a pretty big move -- receiver-to-Rotel-separates -- and it will necessarily sound somewhat different... maybe B&W is not an optimum match for you anymore... maybe the Rotels just need some run-in time.

Anyway, since your attention has turned to 3-ch power amps -- and there aren't many out there -- you might look at the Odyssey Stratos: http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products.html

I think Bryston still makes a 3-ch... and if you don't mind digging deep down in your pockets, Simaudio's multi-ch Titan amp comes in a 3-ch version... the Titan is glorious -- but I honestly can't say whether it will address your mid situation.

Maybe an outboard DAC?
                greg (gd to you)
                Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• methenyfan11
                  • May 2005

Thanks for your really thoughtful insights.

I'm not attached to the 3 channel idea, but open to it, as maybe I can focus resources up front. But if there's a good 5 channel solution, I'm not closed to that at all.

You're right, I'm making a huge leap from receiver and mid-fi speakers to the Rotel/B&W set up, and it may take time for ME to break in as well as the gear! I have to say though, that when I go back to the old set up, it sounds nice and warm, but also like mud in comparison! So I guess I'm starting to break in!

Aside from the piercing mids at high volume (and a slightly "polite" as one pro reviewer put it, lower bass response in the 703's), this system is very swet and engaging.

I'm going to take your advice and try some different speakers in addition to the amps you mentioned. (The new series 7000 def techs I heard recently had laid back mids with the store's mid-fi amp, yet very good articulation. I'd like to try those here at the house).

It's like having another job checking all this stuff out! Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"