X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bitece
    • Mar 2005

The whys and why nots

I've spent alot of time on this forum and was impressed with the fervor some owners displayed toward their Rotel Gear. So, yes, visiting this forum prompted the Rotel purchase. I was also considering Adcom, B&K and Carver but the Rotel seemed the best product considering its price.
    The speakers are a completely different story. I auditioned Dynaudio, Vienna Acoustics, JMLabs, B&W (703's and 800 series monitors)and Paradigm. I had an appointment to audition Von Schweikert and received e-mails from Salk Sound and Ed Frias Technologies. But sitting at home were my 19 year-old Klipsch Fortes. I honestly didn't hear anything that was so remarkably better than what I had-- at least not for the prices I was considering. So I visited the Klipsch Forums and was able to purchase a matching center channel for my Fortes and a pair of vintage Heresy II's.
    The video equipment wasn't as well researched-- I visited a local store and walked out with a discontinued projector. I wish I had done more research-- I could have spent less money for similar performance. I bought the scaler because the common consensus is that they improve picture quality-- especially with projectors. It came with the SDI input at no extra charge and adding the SDI Denon seemed to be the best connection. I can't testify to this because I haven't actually used any of the equipment yet (except for the scaler-- I connected it to my Sony LCD-- didn't see a huge improvement).
    Best bet for anyone looking to upgrade or build a theater-- visit forums like these, ask questions and don't be afraid to admit to being a novice! There are so many posters that respond to queries with good information; your knowledge base will expand rapidly. I've learned a great deal in a short time and am completely hooked on this hobby.
    Haven't decided on a screen. Was considering a Carada but they didn't send me the samples I requested. I need to build a "screen wall" so I haven't determined the screen size as of yet. The screen wall will house my equipment, the IB subwoofer, DVD's, lp's and CD's inside a 4' wide enclosure.
    I'll probably need an IR extender and a power conditioner and there's still acoustic treatments and the analog gear and my wife's reservoir of patience to consider.
    And I just wanted a bigger screen to watch movies on!
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

Hi Bill,
    I've drifted through almost 6-8 different forums and have found this one to be my all time favorite.
    The TTP (Not Ready for Primetime) forum gets many daily comments and posts about what is going on in ones own "neck of the woods" and proves to be very interesting.

I agree, anyone with a question should not hesitate to jump right in and ask, we all learned somewhere.
    ......Pat

Comment

• Uncle Clive
      Former Moderator
      • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Bitece

And I just wanted a bigger screen to watch movies on!

Now don't we all :T It's a nasty virus and once you've got it there is no turning back. :termin8:

You have made some great choices with your gear. Take your time putting it all together and assess and set your values properly. I will see what I can do with the Carada situation but done give up just yet...............You'll get your big screen :banana:

Keep us posted on your next moves.
      CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Bitece
        • Mar 2005

The virus

Listen, when I started doing Google searches on anamorphic lenses I realized it was time to take a step back!
        One question: Is it ever enough?

Comment

• Uncle Clive
          Former Moderator
          • Jan 2002

Most of us when we started out we find so many great toys, ideas and even buddies, sources we never knew was in our reach. So we go crazy realizing the great benefits there is having such great control over machine and family time something most everone enjoys but now we've found a way to enjoy it even more. Then time and time again some dumb manufacturer finds a way to have us experience the craze enough better. new gear, cheaper prices.....................

Is it ever enough?
          CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"