X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

Can you help me choose?

I want to get either a universal player like the marantz dv6500 which i can get for 400.00 from my dealer or the panasonic 97s that everyone is talking about.The panny is considerably less but its not an issue.I realize the panny is only dvd-a which i can live with.Unfortunatly i can't afford the rotel so that is not an option.Which ever unit i buy will also be used as the main dvd player so obviously i want the best PQ i can get.I only have component connections on my hd set.Can you guys enlighten me on which of these would be my best option.I plan to get which ever unit in about a week.I did post this question at another forum but really did'nt get any responses.But i know here there is a large gathering of gurus.Thank for the help in advance.
  • Kens1
    • Mar 2005

I have the panasonic s97 hooked up to the TV through HDMI and I find the picture excellent. I have not compared it to more expensive players though. One dealer in town uses the panasonic s97 to show off the high end theater room hooked up to Bryston and B&W and a projector. Once I saw that I felt pretty good about my purchase. I'm sure there is better but for the money this player suits me just fine until the new HD format gets sorted out.
    It does a respectable job of DVD-A, but again I've never heard a really high end DVD-A player.
    Overall I think the s97 is a lot of value for the money.

Comment

• Patt
      • Feb 2005

I bought a closeout Denon 2900 universal for 600.00 and am very happy at how much better the picture quality is over a 130.00 Sony universal.

Prior to that I bought sight unseen used 5 disc carousel cd player and was somewhat disappointed at the wear and tear it endured. Those cd/dvd players have a lot of moving parts and do show their wear with more than average use.
      Unless I knew the owner B-stock or refurbished would be considered before buying a used one again used.

I'm not familiar with the ones you mentioned so no comment there. Good luck on your decisions......
      ......Pat

Comment

• Snap
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2005

:agree: I love my Denon 2910. The PQ like Pat says is awesome. I like the HD upconversion, even though it is not that much of an upgrade in PQ. (Possibly just my expectations tricking my eyes to think I see an improvment.) But none the less, the 2910 is a solid player that you can not go wrong with. That is my oppinon.

I have not delt with the other models. From Manufacture reputation I would lean towards the Marantz over the Panny. But I admit that I might be my superstition that is driving that. Product reputation means a lot to me. ops:

Good luck on your choice.
        The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• rick c
          • Aug 2004

I just found a used rotel rdv-1080 for 450.00.How would this compare to those i previously mentioned.

Comment

• Snap
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2005

How used? I always am a little bit worried about buying used gear. You just never can tell who did what with it. Sounds like a good deal, and if you know who owned it before, and how they treated it then it might be worth it. But for all you know is 2 year old tried to load a snack into it, and now it skips or somthing. :lol:

I am not sure man, I just get scared buying used electronics. That is just my personal take on it.

Good Luck 8)

Comment

• fordster
              • Feb 2005

The Rotel RDV1060 is being replaced soon so you may be able to pick it up for a bargain price, mine cost £500 in the UK, down from £750. I don't know what US prices are like but you usually seem to get better deals than us. I used to have a Denon 2800II until it died and think the Rotel is a much better sound. PQ is about the same.
              Dave

Comment

• rick c
                • Aug 2004

I would love to get a rotel but i feel it's out of my range.The only reason i'm actually thinking about the marantz dv6500 is because of the great deal my dealer is offering me.The panasonic s97 i see now is hard to come by so i'm going to have to decide between the marantz and the panasonic s77.So i'm back to square one which one do i get?Is the marantz worth the extra money over the panasonic?Especially since i only have component connects on my hdtv..

Comment

• Snap
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2005

Marantz gets my vote.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"