X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave5210
    • Feb 2005

HT Rear speaker question

Well, it's been some time since my last post, but I got some great help and I need to go to the well again. I'm struggling with my rear speaker choice/placement. Should I mount Paradigm ADP 470's in the upper corner of the back wall or replace the current low quality speaker (that's already mounted in the ceiling) with Paradigm SA-15R (round) speakers. The current placement is almost directly over the two main chairs. Is realistic surround sound possible from speakers firing from above, and will they sound as good as the 470's firing from the top/rear? Would the ADP dipoles suffer some from being mounted up in a corner?

The room is our main living room with large windows on the left wall so no side in-wall speakers are possible and 2 boys (ages 1 & 3) make it a bad risk for stand placement. Any help is greatly appreciated.....Thanks!!!!!
  • Dave5210
    • Feb 2005

any takers???? Getting the rear speakers are my next item to purchase and I wanted to make sure that I purchase the right speaker for the room. I've never been able to hear the SA-10R's and I'm concerned about mounting the ADP-470's up in a corner.

Comment

• georgev
      • Jul 2004

Go for the adp 470's in the corner and up. This will undoubtedly beat the ones firing from the top. You should not have any major issues fro them being in a corner.
      Perhaps you could place them across the corner on a frame or a mount, as opposed to hanging them flat against one of the walls.
      But better than the ones from the ceiling.
      My 2cents worth.

Comment

• georgev
        • Jul 2004

Forget to ask, what are the dimensions of your room and how far from the rear wall are your seats?

Comment

• Dave5210
          • Feb 2005

thanks for the help georgev..... the room is 15ft wide, 9ft high and 22 feet long. The back wall is really more of a partial wall that divides the kitchen, which is another 12ft beyond. There are two doorways under where the speakers would be placed. The main viewing chairs would be roughtly 8ft from the ADP's. Another question would be if I went with the ADP's in the rear, could the speakers above be utilized properly in a 7.1? Only asking because there are already speakers there from the previous set-up....thnx!

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

In-ceilings would be just about my last option. Put the 407s in the corners about 24"-30" above your head when seated and at least 24" from any rear wall (if possible). This'll give you a well-shaped null to put the seating in. In-ceilings will directionalize the sound more and depending on the type of sound, may well give you a "believability issue". For example: A Tiger tank is coming up behind or beside you. To have it sound like it's going over your head might not work so well.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• georgev
              • Jul 2004

With regards your other question, yes you could use the ceiling speakers in a 7.1 setup. You anyway have them. It might just sound pretty good, as long as you have the 407's at the rear and slightly above as David says.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"