X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wandarian
    • May 2004

7.1 rear back placement question

I am considering setting up 7.1 system in L shape multi purpose room.
    Everything is OK except rear back surround speakers.

My wife doesn't allow me to use stand because of a vigorous kid.
    Only option is wall mounting.

It's roughly 14 wide x 35 long and HT space is about 14 x 20. So if I mount real speakers all the way back wall, then it's about 22' far from seating position. Also there are lots of obstacles(probably pool tables, etc..)

I was thinking mounting those on the ceiling, but my rear - paradigm mini monitor-is kinda big.. I coundn't find how.

Thus only choice I have is mounting them on side wall and tilting little bit toward seating position.

Do you think it's OK mounting rear back speakers on side walls? or should I choose another way?

Here's my system;
    paradigm monitor 7(front)
    paradigm cc 370(center)
    paradigm adp 370(side)
    paradigm mini monitor(back)
    pw2200 (sub)
  • doubleA
    • May 2004

I had a similar problem when upgrading from 5.1 to 7.1 and, though my resolution is probabily not going to give you the best fidelity, it works pretty good for sound sourcing.
    Basically I moved my surrounds that were in little alcoves above me to the left/right positions ear level behind my couch.
    In the place of my former L/R surrounds are the Back Surrounds angled diagonally up (basically pointing to the ceiling location directly above my head).
    The theory is if you can EQ them a little and compensate for the delay distance the sound will reflect off the ceiling and give you a phantom image directly center above your head.

Now before anyone calls me crazy. The problem presented here is getting a proper sound image for your surrounds. Considering the amount (or lack there of) of audio actually going to the center or back surrounds, this is not a bad option in a pinch.

Give it a try whats the worst that can happen? (besides crazy phase discrepencies)

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Another option would be to use Paradigm in wall speakers isuch as the SM-60R that has the tilted tweeters. You could put these behind you and angle one set of the tweeters back towards your couch.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"