X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Deel
    • Mar 2006

Surround sound in a corner

Hello all,my first post
    I am in setting up a 7.1 system. My room has 4 walls with a door on every wall. I'm restricted onwhere I can put my rear speakers. Please look at my picture of the room dont laugh).I will be using paradigm speakers to match my front setup. What paradigm speakers do you suggest.
    My thoughts were to use adp-370 on positions 1&4 and mini moniters on position 2&3(with wall brackets) All speakers must go on wall.
    The purple box with a x on it is the sweetspot where i want the best sound to be.
    SYSTEM: YAMAHA rxV-2500
    PARADIGM Monitor 9 FRONTS
    PARADIGM CC370 CENTER
    PARADIGM AMS-150R REARS (DONOT HAVE TO BE USED)
    Attached Files
  • Big Deel
    • Mar 2006

Bump for some help.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Why do 7.1 if they are going to be so close? Why not just 5.1?
      B&W

Comment

• Big Deel
        • Mar 2006

Well I want to future proof my setup,but not knowing were I will be moving to
        I can't.So what would be good for a 5.1 setup? adp-370 at positions 1&4 ?
        I have had a 5.1 setup for a while now,but the speakers did not timber match the fronts. They were also directional in sound image.
        80% movies 20% music dvd's

Comment

• Skynut
          • Mar 2006

I don't have a speaker recomendation but I always figured that 7.1 is for big rooms.
          I only run 5.1 and I have 15' or more behind my listening position.
          Skynut

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Actually, skynut, if you really do have 15' or more behind your seating, you're a perfect candidate for 7.1. Yes, 7.1 is constricted in effectiveness in small rooms, but I really like the addition to the soundfield, so for anybody that wouldn't have the rear speakers literally right behind their heads, I do recommend it.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Doesn't the Dolby site have instructions for various speaker placements including corner layouts? Try searching their web page

Oh and I agree, good 5.1 is better than nediocre 7.1 any day :T
              Jason

Comment

• Big Deel
                • Mar 2006

Yes they do here http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...oomlayout.html
                I dont think it will work with my seating with direct radiating type speakers.
                I think i got myself talked into the adp's.

Comment

• Skynut
                  • Mar 2006

Unfortunatly for me the 15' behind me is kitchen and so far wifey does not want anymore speakers in the kitchen.
                  My FX1000's are on the vaulted ceiling right behind the listening possition aiming at the floor aprox 2' behind the couch. This is as far into the kitchen I really want to go with any equipment since the kitchen seems to get grease on things that just sit around.
                  Skynut

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Jason

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

THats how I had my setup last year when i moved into the house, very similar with my 2 ch setup.
                      B&W

Comment

• cbj
                        • Nov 2005

My setup is very similar to the diagram that Jason posted and it works pretty well. I actually have my surrounds in the top shelf of bookshelves to the left and right but other than that everything is the same. The only thing I would be careful about is the sub placement. I have mine behind the TV like in the diagram and it has two advantages 1) out of sight and 2) good integration with my main speakers. The main drawback is that I also have a nasty null at 57Hz. If you are able to move the sub around a bit you might find a better location, that really just depends on your room dimensions and the choices you have in locating it.

Comment

• H.T.C
                          • Nov 2003

A calibration disc such as video esentials may help also with placement of speakers such as getting the midrange right in case its offset by positioning of speakers or sub.
                          Robert

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by cbj
                            The main drawback is that I also have a nasty null at 57Hz. If you are able to move the sub around a bit you might find a better location, that really just depends on your room dimensions and the choices you have in locating it.
                            A simple way to identify possible locations for your sub is to place it in the main listening position and play tones through it. While the tones are repeating, move from place to place in your room until you get one or more locations where the sub sounds right. Then move the sub to that location and start tweaking.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• cbj
                              • Nov 2005

I agree by putting the sub in the main listening position you can then go to multiple locations, listen, and find a good potential place for the sub. I would recommend that method you are able to do so. Unfortunately my area is also the main den/living/family room and as such my sub locations were pretty limited. In the end my 57Hz null location ended up being the "Lesser of two weevils".

Comment

• brac
                                • Aug 2005

My only thought on the picture is not the sub but the rears. I believe they would need to be set at an angle to the wall so as to poit toward the back of the listener. The pic shows them at 90 degrees to each other.

Just make some wedges or get some mounts
                                Brac

Comment

• BlakeN
                                  • Jul 2005

I would not recommend the adps in your situation go with 4 mini monitors. The adps are designed to be directly to the left and right of your listening position. I would also recomend these mounts http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=17529 they might seem a bit pricey but they are worth every penny. The mini monitors are quite heavy but these mounts can handle them. When mounting my minis I used the small wood screws that are provided to secure the speakers from underneath along with the side clamps.

Go for the 7.1 you might not always have your speakers in that room and who knows when the wife will let you buy more Worst case, if you dont like 7.1 go back to 5.1 and you have a set of kick butt bookshelfs for the office

Comment

• badboyspack
                                    • May 2006

7.1 will sound better than 5.1 any day, but you will need the big room to make it sound right.

The corner is a tough thing, I hope it works out for you.
                                    Tom
                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                    Klipsch RF-7's mains
                                    Klipsch RC-7 center
                                    Klipsch RB-75's surrounds
                                    :heh:

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"