X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neverwouldof
    • Nov 2005

Parasound XLR cables digital or analog?

Do i need analog 75ohm or digital 110ohm XLR Cables for Parasound Amps?
  • Peter Nielsen
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

75 ohm cables with RCA plugs, or optical Toslink cables are needed for the digital (S/PDIF) I/O of Parasound preamps. 110 ohm XLR (AES/EBU) is not available on any Parasound Classic or Halo product.

Peter

Comment

• r100gs
      • May 2005

I'm running 110 ohms analog XLR's between my P3 and A21. Also between my P3 and external DAC.
      Jay

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by r100gs
        I'm running 110 ohms analog XLR's between my P3 and A21. Also between my P3 and external DAC.
        Hehe... I didn't see notice neverwouldof's original question is messed up! :B

For DIGITAL signals you need:
        - DIGITAL 75 ohm RCA cables
        - DIGITAL Toslink cables

For ANALOG signals you need:
        - Analog RCA cables (impedance of less importance)
        - Analog XLR cables (again, impedance of less importance)

Peter

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Please respect forum rules

To the both of you: Please follow the forum rules: change your username, or sign your posts. Thanks!

Peter
          Last edited by Peter Nielsen; 02 December 2005, 09:46 Friday. Reason: They are not new rules

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Actually Peter, though I agree with you, these are really not NEW rules. It's always been a rule to sign posts if your username is not a name you can be called. It's just enforcement of the rule is new. We'll call it a volunteer effort at this point, but I think as the movement gains momentum, the user base that is here day in and day out will begin to see the real value of this move to improve communications and as we see here, enforcement among the rank and file will begin without moderator involvement. These 2 guys usernames are really textbook examples of that situation.

Lastly, the only place 110 ohm is used is AES/EBU digital. Not analog connection at all. That's all 50-75 ohm with no 75 ohm requirement for analog audio- let alone 110. That's not saying the 110 ohm won't carry the signal, it will, but it cannot be optimal in this situation.
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• r100gs
              • May 2005

Lex, I guess I will have to talk to the cable manufacturer that sold me the 110 ohm analog XLR cables. Maybe they don't realize they are digital cables. :W

Jay Carl Jordan
              Jay

Comment

• r100gs
                • May 2005

Lex, Do you have some techinical information on 110 vs 75 ohms XLR cable being defined as analog or digital (AES/EBU).
                Jay

Comment

• r100gs
                  • May 2005

Jay Carl Jordan, AKA r100gs

Happy holidays,
                  Doug AKA Lex

:W
                  Jay

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Lex
                    Actually Peter, though I agree with you, these are really not NEW rules.
                    Lex, I know. I should have said "newly enforced rules", but I guess people could figure that out themselves by reading your post, where you clearly mention that they are not new rules :B

Actually, an hour after posting it, did I notice that I should change my wording. However, doing so will put an "edited by" statement in the post, effectively affecting the credibility of the posting or the poster. Is there any chance of having a "DELETE" button so that we could delete a reply and repost (within, say, 24 hours and/or as long as there are no new posts in the thread?) Right now, there seems to be a 30 minute (?) grace period that lets us edit without being punished with the "edited by". Is there any chance to extend this to 2 hours, or something a little bit longer than a few minutes?

Originally posted by Lex
                    Lastly, the only place 110 ohm is used is AES/EBU digital. Not analog connection at all.
                    Yep, that's what threw me off in my first reply. The combination of the words 'digital' and 'XLR' in neverwouldof's original question inevitably makes you think about AES/EBU :B

Then I later noticed the word "analog" in his post... :rollhead:

Peter

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Lex, Do you have some techinical information on 110 vs 75 ohms XLR cable being defined as analog or digital (AES/EBU).
                      Jay,

Like I said in my earlier post, impedance is of less importance when you're dealing with analog connections. From what I've heard, some manufacturers use the same digital cable for analog connections with good result.

The same goes for RCA cables, you can use a 75 ohm digital cable for analog audio. The important thing to remember is to never use an analog cable for digital signals. A digital cable will usually work fine for analog audio, but an analog cable may not work well, or at all, with a digital signal.

Peter

Comment

• neverwouldof
                        • Nov 2005

So the XLR cables are ok with 110ohm wire

Here is description of Cable....
                        (AES/EBU Digital Audio cables are handcrafted with Canare DA206 110-ohm cable and Neutrik Gold XLR connectors) So is this a bad choice?

System is Parasound C1 Proc., Denon 5910, (3) JC1's running fronts and an A21 running surround. I have a Mon...er HTPS 7000 SS that everything except two amps are plugged into because it's getting close to that 15amp barrier. Von Schweikert speakers all around. Running component video lines through Processor which not sure picture is as good which is a another story in itself (trying to prevent Lipsync).

After hooking everything up last night and into the morning (exhausted at work) a new hiss/hum in all the speakers. So i got that to look forward to. And hoping it's not the 10' Interconnects....

Keith

Comment

• neverwouldof
                          • Nov 2005

Newbie question below...

I'm possibly going to have to get some short interconnects because i might have to stack all equipment in a tall rack. Any suggestions... Do interconnects make as much of a difference as speakers cables?

Comment

• r100gs
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by Peter Nielsen
                            Jay,

Like I said in my earlier post, impedance is of less importance when you're dealing with analog connections. From what I've heard, some manufacturers use the same digital cable for analog connections with good result.

The same goes for RCA cables, you can use a 75 ohm digital cable for analog audio. The important thing to remember is to never use an analog cable for digital signals. A digital cable will usually work fine for analog audio, but an analog cable may not work well, or at all, with a digital signal.

Peter
                            Thanks Peter for the reply. I was trying to point out that my 110 ohm XLR cable is marketed as an audio cable. Since cable talk can sometimes turn taboo on this forum, I will not comment any further.
                            Jay

Comment

• garyandroes
                              • Dec 2005

Iam a new member and I will get in slowly. Been trying to put my system together for about 2 years now. at present all denon and klipsch. the klipsch are all ref. 35 series . the main 4 are RB-35, center RC-35 , SW the matching 10 inch. i all ready want to upgrade 4 main to rf 7is this wise? The power is a denon 2805 . I also have been struggling the speeker issue . do I really need to spend 400.00 on this? I do have studio 16 guage now. Im glad I was told about this site the salesman i bought from.

THANKS MAN
                              Gary Androes

Comment

• garyandroes
                                • Dec 2005

im new at this I might have submitted twice

garyandroes]Iam a new member and I will get in slowly. Been trying to put my system together for about 2 years now. at present all denon and klipsch. the klipsch are all ref. 35 series . the main 4 are RB-35, center RC-35 , SW the matching 10 inch. i all ready want to upgrade 4 main to rf 7is this wise? The power is a denon 2805 . I also have been struggling the speeker issue . do I really need to spend 400.00 on this? I do have studio 16 guage now. Im glad I was told about this site the salesman i bought from.

THANKS MAN
                                Gary Androes

Comment

• Lex
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Apr 2001

Jay, basically Peter got it right, that you can use any digital standard cable for audio, it's not necessarily "bad". It will carry the signal. In the case of the 110 ohm cable, it probably does have some redeeming analog audio qualities. Typically, you want an audio cable to measure around 50 ohm. Higher ohm cables will carry a signal, but will perhaps suffer in some area, such as length you could run a cable before the capacitance goes through the roof, increased resistance, etc etc... Basic cable laws seem to indicate that lower capacitance is better for analog audio.

Another reason not to use digital cables for analog audio is most are shielded with foil and wire shielding, foil is not a friend of analog audio as it usually just doesn't sound as good.

Some of my knowledge is just from paying attention around cable discussions in other tech areas, no real rulebook as such. Some of my knowledge is through research.

110 ohm conductors are fairly small in gauge size. I wouldn't want to carry a 110 ohm cable to far for analog audio, not sure it has the surface area needed. But in the end, yeah, the signal will be carried, so your supplier while not "wrong", imo is not necessarily to right either to use the 110 ohm cable for analog audio applications.

Doug
                                  Doug
                                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Sep 2004

Thanks Peter for the reply. I was trying to point out that my 110 ohm XLR cable is marketed as an audio cable. Since cable talk can sometimes turn taboo on this forum, I will not comment any further.
                                    I know. Lex is absolutely right when he says that 110 ohm digital cable is far from ideal for analog audio.

Personally, I would probably stay away from analog cables that are marketed as 110 ohms, since that cable was obviously designed for digital signals in the first place. The vendor probably uses the same digital cable for both digital and analog signals just because it works, and because it's convenient for him to use the same cable.

Why not get one of the cables Lex sells? That way you know it's a good cable, designed for audio and not just some generic stuff. True peace of mind! :T

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Hi, Gary, welcome to Club Parasound and the Guide! :banana:

I too use a complete set of Klipsch speakers--the Legend series based on KLF-30's. That particular upgrade that you're talking about would be good, as the RF-7's are great speakers. However, my philosophy is that when you upgrade, wait a bit, save up money, and then make it worth your while by buying equipment that constitutes a SUBSTANTIAL jump in performance. Otherwise you're spending all your original money you spent on your existing equipment all over again, PLUS a little more, for a small improvement. If you're really looking to upgrade, I would save up and then buy something that constitutes a large jump over RF-7's.

If you're wanting to stay with Klipsch, they are releasing in 2006 updated versions of some of their best speakers of all time--Klipschorns and such. This may be a good fit for you.

BTW, since you question is centered on Klipsch, I think you may find this thread better suited to Klipsch information:

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• r100gs
                                        • May 2005

Originally posted by Lex
                                        Jay, basically Peter got it right, that you can use any digital standard cable for audio, it's not necessarily "bad". It will carry the signal. In the case of the 110 ohm cable, it probably does have some redeeming analog audio qualities. Typically, you want an audio cable to measure around 50 ohm. Higher ohm cables will carry a signal, but will perhaps suffer in some area, such as length you could run a cable before the capacitance goes through the roof, increased resistance, etc etc... Basic cable laws seem to indicate that lower capacitance is better for analog audio.

Another reason not to use digital cables for analog audio is most are shielded with foil and wire shielding, foil is not a friend of analog audio as it usually just doesn't sound as good.

Some of my knowledge is just from paying attention around cable discussions in other tech areas, no real rulebook as such. Some of my knowledge is through research.

110 ohm conductors are fairly small in gauge size. I wouldn't want to carry a 110 ohm cable to far for analog audio, not sure it has the surface area needed. But in the end, yeah, the signal will be carried, so your supplier while not "wrong", imo is not necessarily to right either to use the 110 ohm cable for analog audio applications.

Doug
                                        Doug thanks for reply. I'm still confused and since you are talking about cables, Does your XLR cables use all three pins on the XLR connection? I got confused when you said foil or braid. Is foul bad and braid is not? You can move this to cable section if you want. We can continue there.
                                        Jay

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"