X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

Have a look at this home theatre...

G'day,

Dunno if this has been posted before, but I found a photo gallery of an impressive (if gaudy) home cinema. Worth a bit of a look...

--Geoff
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

Oppulence, (what some refer to as guady), is (was) a style of it's own in pre and early 20th century showhouses and moviehouses. Very few still remain. Whoever, built that theater had to put a lot of dedication as well as effort into research to stay true to style. The Ribbon & Reed details are magnificent. Truly and impressive undertaking with impressive results.
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Patt
      • Feb 2005

Well thought out for the look they were trying to achieve. The reflection of the light on the gold trim is neat. All in all it reminds me of someones great great great grandmothers home....lol

Thanks for the pictures.
      ......Pat

Comment

• hired goon
        • Aug 2004

G'day,

If you read some the articles on this bloke's site, he mentions that "it wasn't enough to have a pair of 1,500-watt Sunfire True Subwoofer Juniors pummelling the theater". So each of the motorized seats is bottom-loaded with a "tactile transducer" that "shakes in conjuction with the soundtrack". And even they are "souped up with a Behringer Ultrabass Pro subharmonic synthesizer".

--Geoff

Comment

• cuda65
          • Feb 2005

That is some project. Can you imagine waiting 2 years for your theater to be done? Not to my taste but very well done.
          Doug

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Wow, thats really great, it reminds me of the old Fox theatre in St Louis. The only thing that I would have steered away from is the domed ceiling, those add strange reflections for the sound. Other than that, Bravo!
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Reminds me of some of the older cinema houses. That fella must have sunk a lot of bucks in that setup.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Foxman
                • Jan 2003

Wonder what that must have cost? I have no clue, but I am sure it is a couple dollars more than mine.
                IMO

My Movies
                Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Nick M
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Can you imagine waiting 2 years for your theater to be done?
                  When I started piecing mine together last November I set a 9 month target... :B

That is a truely awesome looking setup. While normally I would frown on all the fancy fru-fru shananagins that room looks totally kick-@$$. Reminds me of Caesars Palace in Vegas, especially the columns and ceiling. I'm curious how it sounds though. Often enough the prettiest installations aren't the best sounding from what I hear.

Its definetly a form factor I'll never have until I chain myself down with a mortgage...

Very cool.
                  ~Nick

Comment

• Sindhu
                    • Feb 2005

It is unreal. The only thing missing is a pop corn machine and some authentic posters. The man must be paying a fortune to the cleaning lady. Saw a theater on a program called "Boys Toys" on Nat geo sometime back. There is a whako somewhere in LA who spent $10M on his HT. Came on the program saying his is still building it !

Sid

Comment

• stringzz
                      • Apr 2005

Is that Donald Trump's Home Theater? You spend all that money on a theater and all you could muster is a Marantz remote? Where is the Creston?

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Well, yeah, I just (mostly) finished my home theater, and I've been building it for 2 years. I did the same thing Geoff mentioned, in that I'm using dual SVS PC-Ultra subwoofers, and also installed Clark Synthesis tactile transducers in all seating.

That design was a little TOO ornate for me, but still nice. I've seen that one before--I'm a big fan of the sky dome look.
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• RobP
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

When I saw that ornate home theatre from the post above it reminded me of a website for the Theatre Historic Society, there are alot of pictures of old theatres on there along with details of each theatre. We have some friends in Kingman Ks, who are members, they have a old Art Deco theatre that was built in 1929. Once a year they pick an area of the country and go on tours of these old theatres. We went on a few and were amazed. You can really get some great ideas for your home theatre from the website. http://www.historictheatres.org/
                          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• saurabh
                            • Feb 2005

WOW.....its a work of art....with all those carved pillars and borders and photoframes................it looks like an imperial HTS. Truly a work of art and taste.
                            Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                              Former Moderator
                              • Jan 2002

:lol: Not bad, not bad at all. Not really my style either but alot went into the construction. Seems quite different from the rest of the house. Someone mentioned about the remote............ I on the other hand was surprised to see the name IKEA showing up on the list :nonod:
                              But then again

"One can sayeth thou anything when one doeth not have one of his own to compareth"

Sayeth I...........Clive..... on this 27th day of the fourth month the year 2005 :lol:
                              CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• ccotenj
                                • Apr 2005

wow. that is BEYOND cool... that is WAY WAY cool... i wish i had room for something like that. makes me yearn for the "good old days" when movie theatres were really like that, rather than just a big box (or nowadays, increasingly smaller boxes)....

Comment

• NMyTree
                                  • May 2004

WOW! That's an amazing theater!

It's certainly not my taste, but one has to admire the planning , the work and the craftsmanship.

Some may find it a bit grandiose, but it's all a matter of personal taste.
                                  Tony

Comment

• caleb
                                    • Aug 2004

Are we sure this didn't belong to Liberace?

Looks like his style!!

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Uncle Clive
                                      "One can sayeth thou anything when one doeth not have one of his own to compareth"
                                      EXACTLY, Clive... I've always kept this in mind while reviewing others' theaters online. We can be quick to criticize and point out flaws in others' work, or how we don't like something according to our taste. But most of us haven't ever even tried to do something like that ourselves!

Having just completed my own theater, taking years of work, but not anywhere as ornate and detailed as that in the decorations, I know that if somebody bagged on my theater because they don't like the style, it would hurt because of all the work, effort, planning, and intense involvement I invested in that project. So regardless of the outcome, I ALWAYS give credit to those who make the effort.

The credit goes to those who do try, and create something, not to us that sit back, do nothing ourselves, but say, "yeah, I could do that".
                                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Patt
                                        • Feb 2005

I just had to stop by and view it again.

Yes Clive, it is one beautifulith showplace and theatre!
                                        ......Pat

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"