Demo Disks for Revealing Benefits of Tweaks?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lylmik
    • Mar 2005

Demo Disks for Revealing Benefits of Tweaks?

Hi all!
    New member and all...
    First to say, my hat off to Aussie Geoff, really helpful guy to have to squeeze for answers!!!
    Just a short q, but answer will be long, definitely!!!!
    What soundtracks/cd's/movies/whatever do you put on to see if the system is jumping through hoops as expected?
    Friend of mine is using SW-Attack of the clones, just first scene when Amidala's ship is coming to "port" and LOTR-Fellowship, when the ring gets lopped off for bass tests.
    Just an example.
    What would you recommend?
    I did hear about Chris Rea's Auberge on one of the previous posts.
    Thanks heaps, be kind to newbie!!!
    Sam.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Lilmik,

Thanks for your kind words ops:

I have taken the liberty of splitting your post out from the Power Cords thread to be separate as it is a different topic and this way it will (hopefully) get the attention it deserves!

PS my favourites:
    Music - Tracks 1 to 4 or Nora Jones 'Come Away With me CD"
    HT - Openning Scenes of Gadiator and Daredeveil (bar fight scene)

Geoff

Comment

• billz260
      • Dec 2004

Ditto on the Nora Jones! I didn't realize the range in that CD untill I took it when I was scoping out some new stuff.

Comment

• chrispy35
        • Feb 2004

Holly Cole - Romantically Helpless (title track)
        Beck - Sea Change (Paper Tiger)

Both CDs are excellent throughout but those two tracks are usually the first I try when the CDs go in the tray.

Comment

• Bostonears
          • Mar 2004

For 2 channel CD audio:

Patricia Barber - Companion
          Possibly the cleanest live performance recording ever made, with Barber's fascinating jazzy style, silky vocals, and groovin' B-3 organ. The depth of the acoustic bass and the sparkle of the percussion will have you wondering how they possibly recorded it at all, much less in a nightclub.

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature
          Skip over the first track, which for some inexplicable reason isn't up to snuff, then feast your ears on the flawless sonics of the rest of this disc.

DVD:
          Master And Commander
          The creaky ship and the cannon booms are incredible.

Comment

• scient
            • Feb 2005

Movies:
            Master and Commander - Chapter 4. Rocks for bass tests!

Comment

• gianni
              • Nov 2002

I would suggest you visit the Cheskt labei website and see if anything there suits your taste in music. Their recordings are to die for. Their recording techniques make a bigger difference by far than say DC to DVD-A or SACD.

Some of their CD's blow away many SACD's I've heard.

Comment

• hired goon
                • Aug 2004

G'day,

Originally posted by gianni
                I would suggest you visit the Cheskt labei website and see if anything there suits your taste in music. Their recordings are to die for. Their recording techniques make a bigger difference by far than say DC to DVD-A or SACD.

Some of their CD's blow away many SACD's I've heard.
                I've got a Chesky test CD, which has a number of acoustic, jazz, and classical tracks. The acoustic tracks sound okay, but the others didn't seem anything out of the ordinary to me.

On the other hand, the Patricia Barber hybrid SACDs I got the other day (on Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs label) sound stunning, even the CD layer.

The Telarc label is also supposed to have very high sound quality. I had a Jaques Loussier Trio CD from Telarc, and it was an excellent recording.

--Geoff

Comment

• Adz
                  • Jan 2004

Without a doubt for Music as Geoff mentioned - Tracks 1 to 4 of Nora Jones 'Come Away With me Redbook CD". This CD blows away anything I've ever heard and is better than the same Come Away with Me in SACD. In fact, using the digital connection for Redbook CDs seem to sound a lot better than some of the same versions on the lifeless SACD and DVD-Audio recordings. Not sure why that it is and also not sure why all CDs can't be recorded with the same level of engineering as Norah's. By the way, I understand Sony is backing away from SACD as a format.
                  Adz

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

First, all these recordings are great for testing out your system, but if you're "tweaking" and dialing in the correct settings, I think you should be using test tones, not necessarily media material.

As for Chesky, I just got their DVD-A "Dr. Chesky's Amazing 5.1 Surround Show" which is pretty interesting. There's a track with thunderstorm surround sound that's amazing.
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• lylmik
                      • Mar 2005

Sorry Chris, that's what i meant, for testing, but because i'm posting from work...
                      Bit of a hurry.
                      Thanks for the great recommendations, much appreciated, do keep them coming!!!
                      Did already pick up a few of cd's and dvd's.
                      How do you guys like the sacd format anyway, is it all that, or are you (as Adz mentioned about Sony) not holding it to much of a high regard? It does definitely have its followers, but just asking for the opinion.
                      Anyone know if BluRay format equipment is to do the same thing as sacd?
                      I did hear it's meant to be much better than red laser because of tighter beam/better compression ratio etc.
                      And another VHS/BETA-lookalike war seems to be starting!
                      Last edited by lylmik; 11 April 2005, 21:50 Monday. Reason: correction

Comment

• lylmik
                        • Mar 2005

And also thanks to Aussie Geoff for the post split and all the help and input provided!

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Chris Rea's Auberge -- what's that? Not familiar.
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• lylmik
                            • Mar 2005

Chris Rea was fairly big in Europe in '90, very vocal tracks, pulls a bit to hispanic, fairly ambient sort. "Looking for the summer" "Auberge", "Road to hell" and quite a few more tracks were big.

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Adz
                              'Come Away With me Redbook CD". This CD blows away anything I've ever heard and is better than the same Come Away with Me in SACD. In fact, using the digital connection for Redbook CDs seem to sound a lot better than some of the same versions on the lifeless SACD and DVD-Audio recordings. Not sure why that it is and also not sure why all CDs can't be recorded with the same level of engineering as Norah's.
                              It's all about bass managment, if you have a sub and small speakers that is where the problem is, add an ICBM and it will sound night and day different.

For critical testing, try Pink Noise.
                              My Center Channel Project

Comment

• Patt
                                • Feb 2005

Star Wars...the Pod Race.

If anyone likes lots of big drums check out "Blue Man Group".

Electronic music called "Animusic" I first saw it as a demo disc then went to animusic.com to buy it. It is very unusual but very good! (DVD & CD) :yesnod:

and.. Mickey Hart / Planet Drums
                                Last edited by Patt; 12 April 2005, 19:40 Tuesday.
                                ......Pat

Comment

• gianni
                                  • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                                  First, all these recordings are great for testing out your system, but if you're "tweaking" and dialing in the correct settings, I think you should be using test tones, not necessarily media material.

As for Chesky, I just got their DVD-A "Dr. Chesky's Amazing 5.1 Surround Show" which is pretty interesting. There's a track with thunderstorm surround sound that's amazing.
                                  If you like that try Chesky's DVD-A Swing Live by Bucky Pizarelli.
                                  It was recorded in a NY night club and the surround version is one of the few that really shows the formats potential IMO. This disc has gotten great reviews.
                                  Not really my favorite music prior to hearing the DVD, but I really like it now. It just puts you right there. Incredible recording -- probably one of the very best I've heard. Great 2ch sound as well. This is a must have. As they say when they rave: "stunning".

Comment

• saurabh
                                    • Feb 2005

Before you pick any CD/DVD buy the DVE (Digital Video Essentials DVD) to fine tune your Video/Audio for best performance is what I would recommend.
                                    visit http://www.digitalvideoessentials.com/
                                    Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Saurabh, did you get one shipped to you? Cool...
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• saurabh
                                        • Feb 2005

hi chris, nope, I am still struggling to find someone locally, since amazon can ship it to me but the shipping charges are more than 50% (15 USD) cost of the DVD itself, which I am not willing to pay. Most other are not willing to ship. I am in touch with the videoessential distributor on how can I procure it locally. I am awaiting their reply.

But I know I desperately need to get hold of a PAL version :cry:

Comment

• brendon
                                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by saurabh
                                          hi chris, nope, I am still struggling to find someone locally, since amazon can ship it to me but the shipping charges are more than 50% (15 USD) cost of the DVD itself, which I am not willing to pay. Most other are not willing to ship. I am in touch with the videoessential distributor on how can I procure it locally. I am awaiting their reply.

But I know I desperately need to get hold of a PAL version :cry:
                                          Hi Saurabh,What country are you in? I think an Australian retailer would be able to post to you if you are in Asia quite cheaply .
                                          brendon

Comment

• saurabh
                                            • Feb 2005

Hi Brendon, I am in INDIA. Can you let me know of any Australian vendor who ships worldwide. I checked Australia also uses PAL B, so thats not a problem.

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"