X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiogear
    • Sep 2011

HTGuide Newbie- B&W McIntosh

Hello All,

I'm a newbie to HTGuide and the first I ever joined the forum. Been reading many of the B&W threads ever since I discovered B&W & McIntosh last year. There are lots of knowledge among all the folks here...just wanted to say thanks for enjoyment of just reading your B&W posts. I'm not as tech savy and having a some with uploading photos.....will try to in the near future as I get accustomed to HTGuide.

Just a quick question...wondering if any folks have paired 802Di with Macs C50 preamp into a home theater system.....and how does it sound?

Thanks....

Main: B&W 802Di, HTM2D, 805D, McIntosh 501(2), Elite SC09-TX, Elite BDP-09FD, Samsung 63" 3D Plasma, DefTech Supercube Reference, Monster Power 3600 & AVS2000 stabilizer, ATV2, Audioquest Gilbraltar / Cobra cables.

Second Stereo: McIntosh MA6600, Peachtree iDAC, DefTech BP7001SCs, ATV2, Elite 50" plasma, Monster Z cables/Audioquest Cobra
    Main: B&W 802Di, HTM2D, 805D, DB-1 sub, McIntosh 501(2), McIntosh MCD500 & C50, C2300, Elite SC09-TX, Oppo 105, Wadia 121/170, PS3, MacBook Pro/iPad, Samsung 63" 3D Plasma, Monster Power 7000MKII, ATV2, Audioquest Gibraltar/Cobra/USB cables.

2-Channel: McIntosh MA6600, Peachtree iDAC, SF Cremona Auditor M, ATV2, Oppo 95, Elite 50" plasma, Monster 3600/AVS2000, Audioquest Cobras/Rocket 88s
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Welcome to HTGuide! I wish I could offer an opinion on Mac and B & W gear. Unfortunately my budget is a ways off from that for now. I'm sure someone with the requisite experience will be along to help , though.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

audiogear,

First of all, welcome to the forum! :T

Now unto your question. While I have a B&W 802D's based HT set of speakers, I have a Mac HT pre-amp. It's essentially a 2 channel system and an HT processor in one chassis. I have the MX-120. I sounds excellent whether in HT mode, or stereo mode. My 2 channel listening went up after I bought the MX-120.

So for me, it's an all in one solution. I'm not sure Mac is making the MX-120 anymore, but there are likely to be some out there.

I looked up the C50, and it does have an HT bypass option. So that would be quite an excellent option in your situation. Drop it into your HT system, and watch the improvement.

Are you considering combining your systems? If you are, I might suggest the MX-150 processor. Top notch 2 channel plus awesome HT. All in one box. Sell your MA6600 to help fund this (it's quite expensive).

The improvement with either piece should be pretty noticable, but doubly so with the MX-150.

The very best thing to do is find a dealer who will allow you to demo the C50 in home.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by htsteve; 09 September 2011, 06:30 Friday.

Comment

• audiogear
        • Sep 2011

Alaric/htsteve,

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. Adding the C50 would afford me the option of keeping the existing gear at half price of the MX150. The existing MX150 is one pricey HT preamp. Trading up the MA6600 is actually not an option since I recently purchased to enjoy stereo in the bedroom. An all in one solution like the MX120/150 would be excellent! Just not the right moment....the ht bug gets worse every year!

[IMG]/Users/duyhang/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2011/Sep 5, 2011/IMG_0556.JPG[/IMG]
        Main: B&W 802Di, HTM2D, 805D, DB-1 sub, McIntosh 501(2), McIntosh MCD500 & C50, C2300, Elite SC09-TX, Oppo 105, Wadia 121/170, PS3, MacBook Pro/iPad, Samsung 63" 3D Plasma, Monster Power 7000MKII, ATV2, Audioquest Gibraltar/Cobra/USB cables.

2-Channel: McIntosh MA6600, Peachtree iDAC, SF Cremona Auditor M, ATV2, Oppo 95, Elite 50" plasma, Monster 3600/AVS2000, Audioquest Cobras/Rocket 88s

Comment

• audiogear
          • Sep 2011

Here goes...I'm hoping my photos were attached successfully. Honestly, for years, I've brushed away the idea that B&W were just for music lovers. I started and enjoyed my DefTech HT for many years....until I experienced a pair of 802Dis demoed at Magnolia AV. Wow! Now I know why this Club is so huge.
          Attached Files

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

Hi audiogear,

sorry you use a 805D as rear? (and hm2di center?)

the processor is a Denon ? A Mc mx150 will be nice... but if you go with a Mc processor you need a extra ampli for center&rear -> what do you will place in the rack?

thx,
            Style

edit: or is a Pioneer processor -> I have tested this last (susano in europa) and is very squach/I dont like this last! -> no power, no musicality, too much expensive for so one processor! fast the same price like a SSP800

Comment

• audiogear
              • Sep 2011

Hi Style,

The AVR is Pioneer Elite SC-09TX. When it was introduced years ago, I found it to be the best option to suit my HT needs. When paired with DefTech power towers, the Elite was a perfect match for HT applications. I've since moved on to more 2 channel listening when I experienced B&W 802Dis for the first time.
              You're absolutely right. The Pioneer could not keep up with the 802Dis even when bi-amped....no musicality as you've shared. Htsteve mentioned he paired the MX120 with his 802Ds and I'm sure the combo sounds spectacular! Eventually, I would like to move on to this setup...budget permitting; MX150 would mean another monoblock and stereo amps to power the HTM2Dis & 805Ds. Thanks for the raising SSP-800 option...another alternative gear I can check into. :T

Comment

• audiogear
                • Sep 2011

Hey guys,

I was advised by my dealer that the proper way to max out on the 802Dis were to biamp them like with 4 mc501s. Has anyone tried or listened to such a setup? Sounds like overkill to me.

By the way, if you're not driving 802s with Macs or Classe, what are you guys pairing them with? How do like the sound?

Comment

• ShadowZA
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by audiogear
                  ... By the way, if you're not driving 802s with Macs or Classe, what are you guys pairing them with? How do like the sound?
                  Welcome to the forum, audiogear. Hope that you have a great time here.

I'm using a Krell EVO 403e to drive my front end (3 x 802D). I'm very satisfied with this. Good recordings sound terrific, effortless, complete in highs & lows - there does not appear to be any hint of distortion when I turn up the volume & rev the system as I like to do ever so often. My amplifier upgrade path has been: Rotel RMB-1075 to Krell KAV-3250 to Krell EVO 403e. Hope that this helps.

Comment

• htsteve
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by audiogear
                    Hey guys,

I was advised by my dealer that the proper way to max out on the 802Dis were to biamp them like with 4 mc501s. Has anyone tried or listened to such a setup? Sounds like overkill to me.
                    On the surface, that sounds like a bit of overkill to me. If the speakers were in a really big room and played at pretty high levels, that might be an option. Max out is a good term. A single MC501 on an 802 should be quite excellent for almost any situation.

I have a small to medium sized room (11' X 16') with an 802D based HT system. I'm driving the 802D's with an MC402. It is an excellent combination.
                    Superb soundstage, depth, details, dynamics, etc. Smooth is also a word I also use to describe the sound.

The best thing to do is to do an in home demo with the gear. Hopefully, the dealer can accommodate that.

I still like the idea of adding the C50 to your HT system. I would do that before I got two more 501's. Better bang for the buck.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Pedro
                      • Jan 2006

I think four MC501 will be really an overkill. If your speakers were the 800/801, would be no problem. But since the power handle of the 802Di is rated to 500Wrms@8ohm you will get the double of wattage with these four beasts and willl have a terrible risk to damage your woofers. My concern is you use a great amp like our friend mentioned above (EVO 403), which is able to provide great amount of current especially at lowest impedances (I mean 2 ohms!!) you will be completely satisfied even if yours is 300W@8ohms. What is more important is how powerful it is to drive at lower impedances coz the 802Di are really demanding in this aspect to output the bass they can deliver.

Comment

• Rod#S
                        • Oct 2010

I have the 802 Diamonds and drive them with a Bryston 4BSST C series. The pairing is incredibly dynamic, very solid through the entire frequency range and crystal clear without being overly bright.
                        B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• scanido
                          • Apr 2006

I've got the 802 Diamonds and am powering them with a Mac MC205. I'd like to one day get a dedicated MC452 amp just for the fronts.

I'm using an MX150 as the processor and i can tell you that the processor upgrade alone was as much a change going from 803S speakers to 802 Diamonds. The integration between all speakers i can honestly say is seamless with the room correction. Music, and especially movies, are very enjoyable!

Comment

• htsteve
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by scanido
                            I've got the 802 Diamonds and am powering them with a Mac MC205. I'd like to one day get a dedicated MC452 amp just for the fronts.
                            scanido,

An excellent plan. That's what I did. Started with an 205, and ended up with a 402. It's a spectacular combination. The 402 needs little effort to really bring out the best of the 802's.

I went from the 205 to a used 252. About 15 months later, the opportunity for a 402 came up. Since Mac's hold their value well, I was able to get to the 402 in a couple of steps.

Comment

• scanido
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by htsteve
                              scanido,

An excellent plan. That's what I did. Started with an 205, and ended up with a 402. It's a spectacular combination. The 402 needs little effort to really bring out the best of the 802's.

I went from the 205 to a used 252. About 15 months later, the opportunity for a 402 came up. Since Mac's hold their value well, I was able to get to the 402 in a couple of steps.
                              Thanks, seems like our upgrade plans are quite similar. You can't go wrong with any of the MAC stereo amps. :T

Comment

• audiogear
                                • Sep 2011

Hi Guys!

So I finally took the plunge and Christmas came early. Picked up Mac C50 & MCD500. HtSteve, you were absolutely right. Love the way it sounds with the 802s. Last few years, I bought no more than a dozen CDs. Just bought a dozen CDs last couple weeks. I'm running Macbook Pro also for my digital files.

Thanks Guys for all your recommendations, truly appreciate it.
                                Attached Files

Comment

• dukester
                                  • Sep 2010

congrads audiogear! Sweet set-up...the blue meters look sweet, especially next to the piano black 802Di's. How does the idac sound compared to files via the mcd500?
                                  McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• audiogear
                                    • Sep 2011

Thanks dukester! I'm enjoying every moment. Actually, the idac is in my bedroom system hooked up to a Mac MA6600 integrated. I also switched out DefTech BP7001sc towers to Sonus Cremona Auditor M. Almost a perfect match for the Mac in my small room. I'm using an older Toshiba 9200 as a CD Transport; comes totally alive with the idac. It was a tough choice deciding between another pair of 805D but I went for the Sonus monitors after an A/B demo. No regrets....I love both systems!
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• htsteve
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

audiogear,

Sweet! I'm pleased that it's worked out so well.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"