X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • macvidguy
    • Dec 2004

HD over component on DVD?

Hey all,
    Been a while since I have been back. Happy to be finally here again. Can someone confirm for me ....Can you do an Upconverted HD over component from a DVD. Seems to me I remember that if your DVD upconverts to 720 or 1080 that it has to do it on a DVI or HDMI.
    Any help here?
    So rather than be able to run my DVD just through my receiver via component....(no DVI or HDMI inputs) I have to run component to the receiver and DVI straight to the HDTV or projector right?

Thanks in advance,
    Mac.
    Thanks in Advance,
    Mac.
    8O
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

There are only 1 or 2 players out there that upconvert over component. Almost all of them only do it over DVI/HDMI.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• hidefdvd
      • Jan 2005

You could get either the LG7832 or Zenith DVB318, and both with upconvert over component with a specific firmware that can be found on the web. To be honest, I've had the LG and now a Denon 2900. The PQ of the Denon is much better than the LG. Get yourself a good 480p player and skip the upconverters. Not to mention the Denon is built like a tank, the LG an Edsel.
      Last edited by hidefdvd; 30 March 2005, 00:26 Wednesday.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by hidefdvd
        The PQ of the Denon is much better than the LG. Get yourself a good 480p player and skip the upconverters.
        Couldn't agree more with that :T
        Jason

Comment

• billz260
          • Dec 2004

So are there any really good review sites / articles on this? Specifically the best for your money? Currently I have a $35 PG player that looks great, but I'd like to see what the difference would be on my 50" dlp with another player.

Comment

• Bostonears
            • Mar 2004

The primary reason most DVD player manufacturers don't provide upconversion over component video is to mollify your "friends" at the Motion Picture Association of America, who are concerned that component video is unsecure compared to DVI or HDMI.

Comment

• billz260
              • Dec 2004

"unsecure" what does that mean exactly?

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

Unsecure meaning unencrypted. Chances of ever seeing an upconverting player over component from a name brand in the future is slim and none and slim left town a while ago. Everything I've read says that future HD-DVD/Blu Ray players will only output the HD via HDMI/DVI.

Comment

• hhcan
                  • Mar 2005

Do you know where to download the firmware for Zenith DVB318 to do upconvert over component? I have this player using component connection and able to select the upconvert to 720p and 1080i. They look the same on 480p and 1080i so I'm not sure if it really upconvert even though the picture quality is superior.

Comment

• drgolfnut
                    • Jan 2005

I just got the Denon 2910 and couldnt be happier. It upconverts through HDMI to my plasma and in all honesty, it looks noticeable better than through component. I upconvert to 720p instead of the 1080i. The sound of music and video quality were excellent.

Comment

• hidefdvd
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by hhcan
                      Do you know where to download the firmware for Zenith DVB318 to do upconvert over component? I have this player using component connection and able to select the upconvert to 720p and 1080i. They look the same on 480p and 1080i so I'm not sure if it really upconvert even though the picture quality is superior.
                      Here's the link.

Firmware

If your TV locks into Full mode at 1080i then you shouldn't be able to change the aspect.

Comment

• macvidguy
                        • Dec 2004

Thanks all

Thanks for all the info. I have the Denon 2805 and might as well follow suit on the DVD. I had look at the Samsung 941, with Faroudja (not the 841) but haven't made up my mind.
                        Denon will most likely get the nod.
                        Mac. :T
                        Thanks in Advance,
                        Mac.
                        8O

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"