X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajpoe
    • Jul 2004

Power needs analysis...

What do you guys think about this? My Studio 60s have a sensitivity of 91.

CHART:
    Watt(s)...SPL(dB)
    1.........91 (Studio 60s rating)
    32........106 (Dolby Digital Home Theater SPL Level)

Based on this chart, I only need 32 pure watts to achieve the DD standard, which in a home environment is quite loud and most people don't even listen at these levels. 64 watts gives you some cushion just in case... I am using a Rotel RMB-1075 which is rated at 125 watts per channel. I'm guessing it's safe to say that my amp is never clipping and I don't have a need to upgrade as long as I keep my 60s?

I don't plan on changing anything. I love my setup. I just thought I would post this to get a conversation going and see what others thought. I got this information from the guy who posted the different receiver power ratings and found it to be interesting.

AJ

P.S. - I know the power ratings for the various receivers has been posted before, but I had never really calculated it out like this so sorry if this is a repost as well. For anyone who is interested in the power ratings site, here's the address.
    AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I have found many mainstream manufacturer's data for efficiency to be anywhere from slightly off to outright lies. Descrepencies of up to 4-6 dB.

The Studio 60's are a floor standing two way in what is referred to as a 2.5 configuration, as the seond woofer is rolled out relatively low and provides baffle step compensation of the bottom end. Good 7's that will deliver low end extension in a larger cabinet like this typically have a nominal sensitivity around 87-88 dB. The second driver essentially provides the additional output needed in the conversion from 2pi space to 4 pi space because of the baffle size (baffle step compensation). Considering the "Anechoic" rating from Paradigm is 88 dB, that's probably an "honest" FTC style rating. .

Recalculate based on that, not the more optimistic 91 dB rating.

Note, 3 dB = 2X the amplifier power.

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ajpoe
      • Jul 2004

Thanks John, I was hoping one of you smart guys would chime in. If I recalculate at the rating of 88, then I'd need 64 pure watts to achieve the DD standard instead of 32 since it starts at 3 db less. Since the Rotel conservatively provides 120 watts x 5, I'd say its safe to say that I have plenty of power. I calibrated my system and I'd have to have the volume around 82 on my 1068 to be at the directors intended levels. This is extremely loud and I generally watch a movie around 70-72 if its DTS or 72-75 for DD (the later if no girls are present... why don't chicks like loud movies? LOL)

Comment

• hidefdvd
        • Jan 2005

Try this db calculator. It should give you an idea how many watts your using to reach reference level. The other 3 speakers in a 5.1 setup add to the overall db level.

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ajpoe
          Thanks John, I was hoping one of you smart guys would chime in. If I recalculate at the rating of 88, then I'd need 64 pure watts to achieve the DD standard instead of 32 since it starts at 3 db less. Since the Rotel conservatively provides 120 watts x 5, I'd say its safe to say that I have plenty of power. I calibrated my system and I'd have to have the volume around 82 on my 1068 to be at the directors intended levels. This is extremely loud and I generally watch a movie around 70-72 if its DTS or 72-75 for DD (the later if no girls are present... why don't chicks like loud movies? LOL)
          Don't forget there are peak to average issues- you may playback at an average SPL in the mid 70's to 80's, but short term peaks can be 20 dB higher. Still, I agree that the Rotel your should be up to the job just fine.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ajpoe
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by JonMarsh
            Don't forget there are peak to average issues- you may playback at an average SPL in the mid 70's to 80's, but short term peaks can be 20 dB higher. Still, I agree that the Rotel your should be up to the job just fine.
            John, I was under the impression that the rating of 106 db for DD was at the peaks and that normal dialogue and more quiet scenes would be much less. So as long as my power/sensitivity calculations are fine to those peaks at 106 db, everything should be fine. Is this a correct assumption? According to the charts, I only need 64 pure watts to achieve this, but I have some cushion just in case.

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

That should be a correct assumption. Of course, some peaks are longer than others... and the unfortunate thing that comes out is that multi-channel receiver power ratings have a lot of gamesmanship involved- often power rating is quoted mainly for 2 channels driven out of 6 or 8 (5.1, 7.1), then somewhere in fine print they may have a rating with all channels driven, in which case the power supply is working very hard, there's a lot of voltage ripple on the power supply rails, and the sound quality suffers. For this reason alone I would recommend having a 3 dB power margin over calculated results, unless using seperates with clearly defined ratings for all channels driven simultaneously.

But I'm a bit of a stickler and luddite....
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• AndrewM
                • Oct 2000

Oh just go pick up a nice pair of 600W monoblocks already

Andrew
                High effeciency and high power make a nice combo

Comment

• ajpoe
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                  That should be a correct assumption. Of course, some peaks are longer than others... and the unfortunate thing that comes out is that multi-channel receiver power ratings have a lot of gamesmanship involved- often power rating is quoted mainly for 2 channels driven out of 6 or 8 (5.1, 7.1), then somewhere in fine print they may have a rating with all channels driven, in which case the power supply is working very hard, there's a lot of voltage ripple on the power supply rails, and the sound quality suffers. For this reason alone I would recommend having a 3 dB power margin over calculated results, unless using seperates with clearly defined ratings for all channels driven simultaneously.

But I'm a bit of a stickler and luddite....
                  Excellent! I have a 3 db margin based on my calculations (or very close) and Rotel is rated all channels driven at 8 ohms 20 hz - 20 khz. :T

Andrew, 600 watt monoblocks would be nice... if you'd like to donate a few, i'd be more than happy to keep them warm for you! :B

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                    • Jan 2004

That chart would be of use only for an active system where the drivers are directly coupled to the amps output. Passive crossovers dissipate as much as 80% of the input power into heat, so I've read. So it depends on how many passive components and how much series resistance is in the crossover.
                    My Center Channel Project

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"