X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Penningtonsm
    • Jan 2005

Need a new receiver

Hey guys, I kinda started this on a different thread but i decided to start a new one just in case people dont read all they way to the end. It has become very clear to me that I need a new receiver. (i am very new to all the HT stuff so i just grabbed the receiver that I had and used it) I dont have a very high budget, about $300 so my options are not very long. I was looking at a few of them though and was wondering if someone here could point me in the right direction. Here are the ones i was looking at so far:

Yamaha HTR 5760
    Harmon Kardon AVR 235
    Onkya TXSR502

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

Hi Steve,

Never been looking for an A/V reciever before but harmonaudio.com sells reconditioned and they are authorized. Maybe they could save you a few bucks.

Locally Harmon Kardon is sold retail and I read somewhere they are one of the few A/V' reciever's that are conservative with their power ratings.

Some Klipsch followers seem to like the sound of them for taming the horns.
    ......Pat

Comment

• freon
      • Mar 2005

harmonaudio.com has an ebay store also, I picked up an avr-630 for only 5 big ones :T
      My Media room construction page

Comment

• Penningtonsm
        • Jan 2005

Are you happy with your Avr 630? I'm checking out harmonaudio.com tonight. Thanks for the info.

Comment

• whoaru99
          • Jul 2004

You may want to consider the Panasonic digital receivers. They are relatively inexpensive and seem to have a pretty good bang for the buck and have received some favorable comments/reviews. I think the lower priced model is SA-XR50.
          There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Patt
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by whoaru99
            You may want to consider the Panasonic digital receivers. They are relatively inexpensive and seem to have a pretty good bang for the buck and have received some favorable comments/reviews. I think the lower priced model is SA-XR50.
            There is some fellow, (Levesque) that has one of those panasonic Digital's in a bedroom powering Paradigm Studio 40's to his satisfaction.
            ......Pat

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
              • May 2003

Ya i have that setup also.
              The pannie is an incredible receiver for the money.
              It easily beat out my Onkyo.

Here's a quick review here
              "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
              -Dark Helmet

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I'd recomend the digital panasonics as well :T

Comment

• Penningtonsm
                  • Jan 2005

Hey guys is there certain things I should look at when shopping for a receiver. All I look for is the watts (which I know at times can be bogus) and make sure its Prologic II and some DTS. Are there other important things to look for in a receiver that I dont know about? Thanks for all your help guys.

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

A few I'd recommend:

1) Output wattage with all channels driven simultaneously
                    2) Signal-to-noise ratio
                    3) A true stereo bypass - for better music listening
                    4) An owner's manual written in something approaching English (Denon owners know what I'm talking about :B )

There's lots of others, but these'll get you going in the right direction. Good luck!

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Penningtonsm
                      • Jan 2005

Thanks alot David. A huge help. I'm thinking about going with the mentioned pannie receiver. Its within my budget and the numbers seem to look good too. I shall let everyone know how it turns out. Oh by the way, in which section do people post pics of there HT system. I am about to complete mine and would like to post.

steve

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Steve, since we moved to vBulletin we don't have a true "Gallery" section so just whereever. . . . Let's pester Lex and Kevin about one and see what happens. :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"