X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I'm gonna split! (Directv question)

No, I am not leaving, but wanting to split my satellite signal. As it is, I have 1 cable coming off a triple LNB for local channels/high def. So, I had a single receiver. Well, I want one in my bedroom now, so the thing is, I tried a digital splitter, it don't work.

Directv said when you split the signal, so much goes to one side, and so much goes to another. (usually useless info) That is even with a digital splitter.

So, the question is, is there nothing out there splitter wise, designed to separate a Directv signal into equal same parts? Ideally, I want 4 connections. Directv says I have to have 4 coaxes coming off the LNB. Say it ain't so!

Apparently there are perhaps multiplexers that are capable if creating 4 connections from 2, is that accurate?

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

AFAIK the way satellite works is the "tuner" that chooses what channel you receive is in the LNB on the dish, meaning that one LNB can tune one channel at a time. That's why you have dual/triple LNB dishes for installations that have more than one receiver (or dual-tuner PVR boxes). I don't think you can split the signal from the LNB. Even if you could split the signal, you'd be limited to one channel (or maybe band/satellite frequency) at the same time per LNB.

Now you said you have a triple LNB, right? Unless you specifically need a LNB for local, another for HD, etc. couldn't you run one of those LNBs to a 2nd receiver? You'd have to run separate coax to it.

Another option is to split at the output of your receiver, but then you're limited to watching the same channel in the two locations.

As a last resort, you could install another dish.

Comment

• ajpoe
      • Jul 2004

I had this same issue when I added a Tivo and wanted 2 tuners at one location. I believe the triple LNB dish has a 4 way multiswitch. This means it will allow up to 4 receivers to be run off that single dish. The catch is that you have to run a new wire from each output on the dish to each receiver. You can however get a second multiswitch or may be remove the one from the satellite to somewhere inside the house (can't remember if it comes off) so you can run the various wires out to their receivers from there especially if you're not wanting 4 wires coming from the dish.
      AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• Neal_C
        • Feb 2003

You will need a multiswitch. One coax will come out of each LNB and into the multiswitch (and you can even run your antenna into it as well), and then one coax will come off the multiswitch and to each receiver.

Different channels are picked up by each LNB. The multiswitch gives each receiver access to all available channels, and the antenna if it is hooked up as well.

My triple LNB satellite dish has a 4x4 multiswitch mounted right on the back of it, and I'm pretty sure it came from Directv that way.

Neal

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

I didn't know about the multiswitch. I guess I was right about the 1 coax/1 channel at a time per LNB though.

So, Lex, get a multiswitch and you'll be good to go. With a triple LNB you can tune 3 channels at once (e.g. watch one in bedroom, another in living room, and Tivo the third).

Comment

• Neal_C
            • Feb 2003

Well actually, the number of tv's and channels is just dependent on how many receivers you have and the number of outputs on your multiswitch. I just mentioned the 4x4 because that is what I have.

I haven't done much research on them, but they make other varieties as well. I know I have seen a 5x8 (5 inputs for lnb's and antenna and 8 outputs to go to 8 different receivers).

Link to 5x8 multiswitch

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

well, I'm not quite good to go, there is the matter of additional wiring. (bummer), additional wires coming into the house, (another bummer), and the 100.00 that Directv wants to send an agent out to do the wiring. According to them, I won't have to buy anything else, even if there is no multiplexer on mine. Technically, that is for 2 wires coming in, well I already have 1. i can get by like that with a multiplexer in the house if I have to (2 makes 4).

I'd like to do this as cheap as possible. Unfortunately, that's not to cheap regardless.

Thanks for the input guys. Sometimes, Satellite is a pain I guess.

Ok, why would I not do the wiring?

1. I don't have drills for masonry.
              2. I don't like to do under houses either. I avoid that if possible.
              3. I'm not a Directv tech. I'm a wiring guy.

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Well, the Terk has a price close to $100 and it won't run the cables for ya. I'd go with the service tech Lex. That way any problems are covered by DirecTV.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ajpoe
                  • Jul 2004

Probably the best thing to do is just pay DirecTV to come out and run the wire. They will most likely run it along the outside of your house and then just drill through where you want it to come in. I was able to get this done for $50 when I got my Tivo. If you got a new unit, you probably can too. Your dish certainly has a multiswitch on it already. But, for the price of buying the cable myself and the time to do it, it was well worth the $50.
                  AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                    • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Kevin P
                    I didn't know about the multiswitch. I guess I was right about the 1 coax/1 channel at a time per LNB though.

So, Lex, get a multiswitch and you'll be good to go. With a triple LNB you can tune 3 channels at once (e.g. watch one in bedroom, another in living room, and Tivo the third).
                    Actually the triple LNB is used to pick up three different satellites. They all run into the switch and from the switch you can go to the different satellite receivers.

Lex... you have two receivers right... the HD and a regular SD? I know the HD recevier does not have a 75ohm output but I believe the regular SD receiver has a 75ohm output on the back of it. You can come out of it and split it with a regular ole joe blow 75ohm splitter... and go to as many TV's as you wish. Just tune your TV you are running it to... to channel 3. You'll have to get up and go change the channel when you want to watch something else or have one of those remote extenders.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"