X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajpoe
    • Jul 2004

Calibrating your speakers

I have kind of a unique question because I don't use a .1 sub. I have a powered sub on each of my front L & R and rear L & R so I have 4 full range channels for movies and 2 full range channels for music. I have my center set as small at 80 hz.

I had my system calibrated based on test tones from my 1068 and an SPL meter, adjusting the bass to my liking. I picked up an AVIA DVD the other day and did some sine wav testing. How "flat" do you guys really have your system?

My studio 60s are pretty flat through the whole test tone and as they blend into the subs. Now once I start getting into the lower frequencies in my subs, the SPL meter levels gradually get higher until they roll of at really low freqs. If I set the subs to stay more flat with the high frequenices and then play some music, it doesn't seem to be enough bass. Am I just conditioned to having more bass because that's how I am used to hearing it or do people generally have the levels a bit higher for lower frequencies?

Movies have more punch in the low freqs and I have a TST for the really low effects so I guess I am noticing it more so in music. If you set the db for low frequenices higher, how much higher should they register on the SLP meter. 5 db, 10 db? I set the SPL meter at C and slow response to do my measurements. Any input would be much appreciated!

AJ
    AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
  • Foxman
    • Jan 2003

I think it's at the listeners discretion. I recalibrated my system over the weekend because I made the cardinal sin of pushing the wrong button and resetting all of my settings to the default settings. Anyway, for me my sub usually runs 7-10 dbs hotter than my other speakers. I also run my center just a taad hotter than my mains and surrounds, I mean about .5 DB.

There are some that probably set theirs flat all the way, but I think the majority set the sub a bit hotter.
    IMO

My Movies
    Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• PiDD
      • Aug 2003

AJ,

Are you using the Radio Shack meter? Are you using the adjustments for it?

Comment

• ajpoe
        • Jul 2004

Yes, I'm using a Radio Shack SPL meter.

Comment

• PiDD
          • Aug 2003

The RS meter is a good meter but it isnt very acurate in a few frequencies. It can be out as much as about 10db. When you take your settings you have to adj the reading on the RS meter. I have an Excel spreadsheet that does it all for you. Let me know if you want it.

Rob

Comment

• PiDD
            • Aug 2003

AJ,

I cant mail out the spreadsheet and sine waves.. the files are too big.

You can download them off my ftp. ( I didnt make the excel file and dont take credit for it )

The FTP info is

ftp.pidd.ca
            logon:htguide
            password:htguide

If anyone else wants it feel free to download it.

Rob

Comment

• ajpoe
              • Jul 2004

i'm getting a time out...

Comment

• roundmound
                • Sep 2004

Thanks PiDD.

I transferred the files and will adjust the readings of my meter.

Darin

Comment

• PiDD
                  • Aug 2003

i'm getting a time out...
                  hhmm try again. Also look at your firewall settings.

Comment

• ajpoe
                    • Jul 2004

it must have been something with my home computer. my laptop was able to get in. thanks again!

Comment

• PiDD
                      • Aug 2003

No Problem, enjoy the tweaking!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"