X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob
    • Feb 2001

Calibrating speakers

Hello,
    Im curious as to how you should properly calibrate your speakers. Do you keep the SPL meter in one position for all your speakers? Or do you angle it to each individual speaker as the test tone comes up?
    Thanks in advance,
    Rob
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I keep/kept mine in the same position.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I keep mine pointed up at about a 60 degree angle pointed towards the centre channel for all tests. For the most accurate tests use a camara tripod also so you don't get interference from your body as you take readings.

Comment

• den497
        • Aug 2002

Hi Rob
        I have a analogue and also handheld spectrum analyzer.I use both vertically where my ears would be when seated using a tripod to hold the device.Vertical is the way to go as these condenser mics have different disperstion patterns relative to the mic ie: less sensitive on sides of mic then the front. Simple test click in front of meter and sides and behind at the same distance from mic. If you point at the front speakers you get the rears way out.Stand away from the mic so your body doesnt interupt the speaker thats being read.Using this method you get the rears exactly the same as the front.This can make a huge difference to the imaging.I set up some other peoples setups and amazed how far they are out of wack.
        best of luck Dennis

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I use a tripod and place it at the listening position , set at about a 60 degree angle pointing toward the front of the room.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Hi Dennis, welcome to the forum!

When you say you've analyzed other systems that were way out, do you mean systems that were balanced using Video Essentials or Avia?

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• den497
              • Aug 2002

Hi David
              I had video essentials and gave it away.I have avia but rarely use it.I do installs and was referring to angling the sound meter/spectrum analyser.I have found holding it verticle gives the best reading to balance speakers.It makes the imaging better.The mics loose quite a few db. to the sides and behind so verticle gives the db reading much more accurate.these mics tend to be fairly directional.Setup how I do it you get imaging that blends good front to back. I am looking into having a simple dvd made with pink noise that can easily be accessed and sent to any channel manually. I find no one yet makes a really good user friendly disk.

Comment

• den497
                • Aug 2002

try experimenting .I think even more accurate would be to have the meter on a swivel that does 360degrees horizontaly.Placed on a tripod at the listening position, then point at each speaker to get a reading

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I find no one yet makes a really good user friendly disk.

Agreed.

Hmmm, interesting train of thought. I've used a tripod to support my SPL meter, but never thought about pointing the pick-up at each speaker. Seems like that would give you a lower overall sound level tho'. With the meter pointed up, that would require a slightly higher volume to reach the 75db level that it would with the mic pointed straight at the speaker.

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• PMazz
                    • May 2001

According to Dolby, point the mic at the center for the front three speakers and to each side for the surrounds.

Pete
                    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

Dennis, I would check with Don Holland over at Custom HT, and Ralph LaBarge at Alpha DVD. One or both of those guys might be able to produce a disc and both happen to be sponsors here.

I had always heard that vertical was correct, so I am going to agree with Dennis on this one...

Lex
                      Doug
                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                        • Sep 2001

Since I don't turn my head to listen to the surrounds, I measure everything from one position (where I sit) with the "business end" of the meter pointing up and just a little bit forward at the level of my head rather than pointing it toward each speaker.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• den497
                          • Aug 2002

Hi David
                          I dont go for specificaly 75 db I go for what ever is comfortable.I generally ask at what level a customer is going to listen.Some people like it louder some dont.I tune a system at the individuals preferred listening level.The spectrum analyser or sound pressure meter only gives me reference to balance a system.I have heard on a system well balanced a bird in batman forever I think it was going left to right.It sounded as though it was very close to me and a perfect pan across.It did not sound just like it was going across the front speakers.It is time consuming to get it right but once you have, a system comes alive.
                          dennis

Comment

• den497
                            • Aug 2002

Hi Lex
                            Thanks for the info on the discs.Will follow that up.I would love to have a setup Dvd with only pink noise alternating around the 5 speakers.It would make setting up systems a breeze instead of fumbling through menus.X-men DVD has THX setup.Most 5 channel amps have a sound source for balancing speakers.But not real happy with that myself
                            Dennis

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

I understand completely! I am really hesitant to say one is more adept at this than the other, but Ralph at Alpha did "Author" Avia DVD. You can take it from there...

Lex
                              Doug
                              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dennis
                                I dont go for specificaly 75 db I go for what ever is comfortable.I generally ask at what level a customer is going to listen.Some people like it louder some dont.I tune a system at the individuals preferred listening level.

Oh, I don't listen at 75db - ouch! I just balance the speakers' output at that volume and then lower it to my preferred range.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                Our "Theater"
                                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"