X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim-surround
    • Feb 2005

Surround Suggestions

Need some suggestions for surrounds that would match my Dynaudio Audience 52 mains, Dynaudio 42c center and Sunfire True Sub. These are the cleanest, most precise speakers I've heard in their respective classes.

With regard to surrounds, the more I research, the harder it gets (way too much information).

If I bought another pair of Dynaudio's my wife would get mad and have to sleep on the couch, which is not a good thing. I need some quality surrounds that won't break the bank. They must be wall mountable.

Any direction you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    We're all Bozo's on this bus.
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

Unfortunatly, you should stay with the same brand/line of speakers to get the best timbre match or else the surround sound may seem to jump around on you. I'm sure that Dynaudio makes a matching surround for the Audience series. You may just have to convine your wife that this is a necessity.

There might possibly be some other inexpensive brand that would work temporarily, but that may be a hit and miss proposition. Sorry.
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Gordon Moore
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Feb 2002

I'd say get cheap-o surrounds for now....try a few Best-Buy brands since their return policy is liberal and see what sounds okay to you. Don't get hung up on the change in timbre (tam-brr) if you listen to a test tone. You might be suprised how little of a difference you REALLy HEAR when listening to source material.

When you are ready and your wife is okay with the situation then sell the old and upgrade to brand matching surrounds.

No sense in raising the ire of your spouse....it's not worth it. I'd disagree on the convince your wife thing....it just leads to undo marital stress....don't push the issue as you are a team. Trust me, I know from what I speak

Just keep watch on the Dynaaudio brand to make sure the model you want isn't due for an upgrade (change in electronics or driver ) that might buggar timbre matching in the future. If it's due for an upgrade then you may want to explain the situation and see if she'll change her position. Might take a wee bit of compromise.

Good Luck.
      Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Jim-surround
        • Feb 2005

I didn't think I get much on this one.

I'm probably going to go with one of the following for surrounds:

Polk FXi5
        Axiom QS8
        NHT SB2

Thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

You're far less likely to notice none matching speakers for HT use. If SACD and or DVD-A are important then its more critical but for movies its much less an issue. Still you might want to check out www.audiogon.com and see if there's any used Dyn's available that would suit both you and your wifes needs.

Comment

• Jim-surround
            • Feb 2005

An interesting link. Thanks.

I can't go with Dyn's because they don't wall mount easily and I have to wall mount my surrounds.

Since I play music in stereo, I suppose matching isn't too much of an issue for movie viewing.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• Jim-surround
              • Feb 2005

To bring an end to this, I bought the Axiom QS8's.

I was driving myself nuts.

Thanks to all.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"