X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brian Barnes
    • Jul 2004

Denon 1910 DVD Player vs Zenith DVB318

Which one would u choose? Are there any true differences other than the Zenith being about $75 less?

Thus here is my Current Selection for my $3000 HT Challenge!

TV: Sony 30" Wide Screen HDTV model :KV30HS420 $999 (35 3/8" O.D.)
    DVD player: Zenith DVB318 or Denon 1910 $200 vs $275
    Receiver: Denon AVR 1804 $400
    Speakers: Energy Encore $1000

Equipment Total: $2600 (plus cables / connectors , etc....) approx $3000

Thanks for the Help!

Brian B.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Denon...no question. Looking good otherwise too :T

Do check out the Toshiba 30HF83 as well.

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• Brian Barnes
      • Jul 2004

Toshiba Vs. Sony

Aud19:

Why would you get the 30" Toshiba over the 30" Sony? The Toshiba is $500 more.

Thanks,

Brian

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

I'm assuming you're looking at the MSRP on Toshiba's web page. Trust me, in stores it will be less. Toshiba's web MSRP's are always high for some strange reason. You should be able to get it for the same or less than the Sony. I'm just saying make sure you have a look at both as one may have a nicer picture/option/feature so compare the two to see which you prefer and see which you can get for less.

If you're buying all/most of that stuff in one place you should be able to get a good 15% off sticker too. Ask for 20%, settle for 15%. (Take a calculator )

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Also keep in mind that new TV's and DVD players tend to come out late summer/early fall so you might be able to get even better deals based on clearing out old stock etc.

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
            • Jan 2002

Just to throw in a little mix here I'd consider the 318 at $160 at http://www.gochnauers.com/ and apply the difference to a Denon 2805 at ecost.com for about $525. You'll be spending about the same but what a wow difference in receivers you'd be getting. Now... at that price the 2805 is "reconditioned by Denon" but they are just as well brand new. I got my 2900 from ecost (or maybe it was clubmac or macmall - one of those places - they are all the same) and it was just like a new one but at a great bargain. Search around... I don't think you'll find too many unhappy campers with the ecost deals. I believe they are expecting a shipment of the 2805's on the 30th.

Just something else to think about if you haven't ordered yet. If you have then oh well.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
              • Jan 2002

Then again... I was just reading the other link about the Denon 1910 and those sound like they are gonna be impressive units for the price.

Still I'd consider one of those 2805's.

Comment

• Brian Barnes
                • Jul 2004

what does the 2805 do for me that the 1804 does not? Note: I am leaning towards the energy encore speakers so I don't know why I would need more than the 1804.

Thanks

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                  • Jan 2002

The 2805 is a newer model with a tad more power at less distortion and adds:

* Dolby Pro Logic IIx: Dolby Pro Logic IIx furthers the matrix decoding of Dolby Pro Logic II to decode audio signals recorded on two channels into up to 7.1 playback channels, including the surround back channel. Dolby Pro Logic IIx also allows 5.1-channel sources to be played in up to 7.1 channels. The mode can be selected according to the source. There are 3 Dolby Pro Logic IIx modes: Music, Cinema and Game. (The Game mode is for 2-channel sources only.)

* Additional Surround Modes:
                  Dolby Pro Logic IIx
                  DTS-ES Extended Surround
                  DTS 96/24
                  Denon Original Surround Modes (DSP)
                  Wide Screen
                  Super Stadium
                  Classic Concert
                  7CH Stereo

* Two-channel Music Modes: There are three 2-channel playback modes exclusively for music: Pure Direct: plays back music with an extremely high level of sound quality. All the video-related circuits and the front panel display are turned off so that music signals are reproduced with high quality. When an analog mode is selected, the digital processing circuits are also turned off to achieve the highest purity.
                  - Direct: audio signals bypass the tone control circuits, and are transmitted directly, resulting in good quality sound.
                  - Stereo: allows you to adjust the tone to achieve the desired sound while watching video images.
                  - AL24 Processing: The receiver includes Denon's renowned 24-bit ALPHA processing technology that reproduces digital signals in a waveform with the smoothness of analog signals. This technology thoroughly suppresses annoying quantization distortion and faithfully reproduces the delicate musical details of low-level signals. AL24 processing works in 2-channel Stereo, Direct, Pure Direct modes.

* 24-Bit, 96 kHz D/A Converters: The AVR-2805 uses highly accurate Burr Brown PCM-1791 Digital-to-Analog converters, two for each channel, for a total of 16. The 96kHz sampling and 24-bit word length capabilities of the DACs allows you to play high-resolution recordings and hear the increased clarity, detail and dynamic range of those recordings.

* Auto Setup/Room EQ: The receiver is equipped with an Auto Setup and Room Equalization function, to achieve the most ideal sound field for your room. With the supplied DM-S305 microphone placed at the listening position, the 32-point DSP automatically and accurately analyzes, adjusts and sets the speaker configurations of your system. The receiver also analyzes and adjusts the frequency response of the speakers to the room with an 8-band parametric equalizer. You can also manually adjust the 8-band equalizer from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5dB steps at 63Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz and 8kHz.

* Room EQ Memory: Once the Auto Setup has been performed, the receiver can memorize a maximum of 4 equalizing curves called "normal," "front," "flat," and "manual," allowing you to recall your favorite EQ curve without having to run Auto Setup each time. You can also "assign" an EQ curve for each surround mode, plus select the EQ to be on or off for the Pure Direct/Direct modes.

* More Subwoofer Crossover Frequencies: You can adjust the cutoff frequency of the subwoofer output from 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 200Hz or 250Hz.

* Video Up Conversion: The receiver's video transcoding technology converts composite and S-Video signals to component video signals and output to the monitor. This allows you to enjoy the highest picture quality from all video gear connected to the receiver. In addition, composite video signals are up converted to S-Video and S-Video signals are down converted to composite for connecting convenience.

* HD Video Switching: The unit has three assignable component video inputs and a high-performance relay that is used to switch the signals. The switcher has an extended bandwidth range of up to 100 MHz, making it compatible with progressive DVD (480p) and HDTV formats (720p and 1080i).

Dang... almost makes me want to sell my Rotel 1066 and Sunfire Cinema Grand and buy the mother Denon receiver with all these features.
                  Last edited by Sonnie Parker; 30 July 2004, 17:54 Friday. Reason: *As I understand... the 2805 does not have DDSC as I first indicated.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"