X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofreak7
    • Feb 2005

Audioquest vs Monster Cable

Hi fellaz,
    Concerning interconnects, can anyone say there is a definite audible difference between the 2. I know Audioquest uses more silver in their cables, but in a blind test would anyone really be able to tell. Asking this cuz I'm in a quandry about which to purchase. And why does Monster not sell balanced XLR interconnects? :roll:
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

You should give Doug a shout. Doug owns this forum and he is also the owner of Cat Cables. He makes great cables.

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• hidefdvd
      • Jan 2005

:naughty: I suggest you read the forum rules on discussing anything but Catcables. You'll find your topic is not allowed.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

I am going to let this topic stand because it does not violate the web brands rule. However, the second this topic takes a turn for the worse, locking/deletions will occur.

These are both major store brands, so the discussion is allowed between those 2 only at this point.

Aside from that standpoint, I believe you will find that most likely only AQ uses silver from those 2, and even that is only in their very top models that are mega-$. You could save considerable money and still have great cables at prices below that that still have silver performance.

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• whoaru99
          • Jul 2004

I saw Monster XLR's just a couple weeks ago at Ultimate Electronics. At $140, I passed...
          There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Kyle
            • Jan 2005

Not only are Monster cables way overpriced, they really aren't built all that well. Not to sound like a cat cables fanboy (Disclaimer: I am), but in my experience, out of all of the generic, monster, audioquest and acoustic research cables, the cat cables I have are far, far nicer.
            My gear

Comment

• Jeff
              • Dec 2004

I currently use only AQ cables. I think you will find dollor for dollar AQ is much better than Monster. Monster low end products just don't deliver. I purchased AQ King Cobra and CV-6 with 36v dielectric. I immediately retired all my Monster cables and wire.

I would expect a lot from AQ silver interconnects and speaker cable. They are very good. HOWEVER, the price of these cable are boardline illegal.

Although I have not heard Cat Cables I've read good things about them on this web site from those who know audio. Click on the Cat site and check em out or perform a search on this site. The prices are much more reasonable. If I was going with silver, cat cables would be on the short list.

If memory serves me correctly Cat Cable offers a $ back guarentee. I'm not sure what your cable buget is, but the Cat web site also has prices. Do some screen prints and take them to your retailer for a comparison.

Regarding your comment about AQ having "more silver" in their cables. It's either all or nothing. They don't mix copper and silver.

Comment

• Marshal
                • Feb 2005

AQ is more expensive especially silver cables. Monster is better value. Most popular interconnects are M850 and M550. They both sound nice and have good bass.

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Marshal
                  Monster is better value.
                  Now that's something you don't hear a whole lot.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• mtodde
                    • Jan 2005

I have moved to another brand of cable but I found Audioquest to be suprerior to Monster at every price point I tried the two of them at. You may be able toget some good deals on used cables on either eBay or Audiogon...I look at used cables as being broken in, LOL.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Every one will have a different opinion, and it depends on system synergy and system resolving power.

Perhaps I shouldn't generalize, but I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that Monster is the Bose of cables- they produce at best a very MOR product, and invest most of their money in sales and marketing. There focus is J6P, who is unlikely to have a component with balanced connections- that's too "high end".

If you're looking for good XLR's, by all means check out CatCables in addition to the name brands- be warned that Lex's and Jeff's comments are correct- I have a couple of pairs of AQ silver XLR's, they're good, but they're VERY expensive- I acquired those quite some time ago- they're over ten years old if memory serves me correctly.

As I've pointed out before, for a lot of components, a balanced connection is provided by an additional op amp converter connected to the internal unbalanced signal, and unless you have long runs, may not be worthwhile, and may even degrade the signal. Short runs of balanced cables make sense for components that are inherently true balanced diffferential, and are converting to single ended for RCA's, like Ayre Acoustics or Theta Digital products, for example. I'm sure there are others.

If you do have a need for XLR's, why not checkout Lex's SilverCats in XLR? The price is very reasonable for what you're getting- which is great build quality and a lot of musical detail at a very reasonable price-
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                      Obi-Wan
                      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jimmyp58
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

I'd echo Jon's comments about LEX's SilverCats in XLR. I own them and love them!

Jim
                        jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

In the past 2 weeks, I've built 24 Silvercats. you be the judge, lol.

In fact, the gold connector Silvercats are such a value now, that they won't stay at this price forever. They can't. I anticipate a silver cost increase soon, and the lower margin will be adjusted at some point. Yes, I've been giving people a great value in these for now.

Right now, I'd build 1 meter pair XLR for about the same price as those. RCA 106.88. XLR 112.88 a pair for solid silver! $ To be varied at some point I'd anticipate a 10% increase at least-

Lex
                          Doug
                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"