X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

Progressive Scan DVD Player

So, if my hitachi TV upcoverts all my signals into 1080i, what's the purpose of having a progressive scan DVD player?

Wouldn't it make more sense to 'feed' the TV with a raw signal as opposed to feeding it the progressive scan signal, and then having the TV upsample that once again.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated?

Anyone know of a good website comparing the Panasonic DVD-A7 vs. Denon 2800mkII.

The panasonice has DVD-A capability, while the denon does not, but the denon is progressive scan while the panasonic is not.

I'm debating which one to use with my hitachi 60810 LCD RPTV.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

So, if my hitachi TV upcoverts all my signals into 1080i, what's the purpose of having a progressive scan DVD player?

Wouldn't it make more sense to 'feed' the TV with a raw signal as opposed to feeding it the progressive scan signal, and then having the TV upsample that once again.
    That depends on the quality of the scalar in your TV. Give this report a read if you haven't already...esp the bottom part. Essentially since the image is stored on the DVD as a progressive image your best bet is usually to let the DVD player send out a progressive image...but if you own both DVD players it would be easy to flip between interlaced and progressive scan and see for yourself which you prefer.

Anyone know of a good website comparing the Panasonic DVD-A7 vs. Denon 2800mkII.

I'm debating which one to use with my hitachi 60810 LCD RPTV.

Denon 2800

There isn't a review of the A7 or the similar Technics A10 and I don't know which panasonic would be most similar from a video stand point...I'd guess one of the RP91's would be closest

Comment

• junior77blue
      • Nov 2004

ok, well I will read your posts...

Damn Andrew...I appreciate the help!!

Umm....well now I have conflicting information from the TV manufacturer. They now claim they upconvert 480i signals but do not upconvert 480p signals.

I bet if I call again I will get a different answer!

So, it seems like the 2800 has better video performance....but the best way is to test them out.

Any tips of what movie or source to watch to get the best comparison?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Any tips of what movie or source to watch to get the best comparison?
        Depends what you want to test. For the chroma bug the opening logo for Toy Story is the most common test while things like dropping of flags etc is more difficult. Layer changes are easy enough to test as is menu speed etc. Basically pic some reference quality DVD's and flip between interlaced and progressive on a player and see what you think. If you have a friend with a common DVD maybe connect both players up and sync their video so you can toggle between them...just make sure that both are calibrated to the same levels and the video cables are the same or similar (maybe swap cables if you pick a sure winner just to rule that possibility out)

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"