speaker recommendations - 5.1 theater ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sickmint79
    • Mar 2004

speaker recommendations - 5.1 theater ??

hey all, i am looking for speaker recommendations for a 5.1 theater. at present i just have a couple things; a pair of nice rhapsody cables and a rotel rmb-1075 (120x5).

i am looking for recommendations on some nice stuff for a home theater as well as music. i am perfectly willing and happy to go used. thx stuff would be cool if there is something that would fit in budget as well.

as far as music, i assume listening to something in stereo i'll be able to use the sub for extra bass still, but would like a pair of full range front speakers regardless. i like good bass but i am a real sucker for women's voices and strings. violin or piano with a pretty voice and i like it... i am a big fan of sarah mclachlan and vanessa carlton. i might as easily throw in some tool or ludachris though!

these are the speakers i have picked up so far - little concerned if i have enough power for all the b&w's though? or if b&w is my best bet - if i'm paying too much a premium for name when i could have spent the same and gotten a lot more speaker. here's what i have picked out so far - what do you guys think? any comments on this setup, or comments as to some alternatives at the same (or lower) price point? thanks.

b&w 704 fronts
    b&w htm-7 center
    b&w ds-6 rears (thx)
    paradigm pw-2200 sub
  • Juan Cortez
    • May 2003

You have a really good set up there. Both Paradigm and B&W make top quality speakers. I myslef own a Paradigm Monitor set up with a PW 2200 sub and I am really happy with the set up.The Rotel should have enough power to drive them.

What have you set for your budget?
    Jason

Comment

• sickmint79
      • Mar 2004

let's say $3000 give or take 500. i see a lot of ads for axiom but not a lot of owners it seems? anyone have any experience with them?

Comment

• Juan Cortez
        • May 2003

You can get a really good set up going for that price. Axiom makes really good speakers. I am not sure of owners on this forum but I think there are a few. From what I have heard they are fantastic speakers, and give very good preformance. Also check out Paradigm Monitors, and Studios, B&W 700 and 600, Energy, JBL all make fantanstic speakers.

Take your time and listen to as many brands as you can

Good Luck

Jason

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

sickmint79,

That's a really good set up. I own a B&W HT powered by a Rotel amp. They work very well together. Also, I've found the B&W generally compares very well to speakers in the same price range. As for power, the 1075 is adequate. Rotel tends to be conservative in their power ratings. Your actual performance is most likely better than 120W/channel. I had my 1095 tested and it came out 10-15% greater than the rated power. What is your processor? You've got very nice speakers and power. A very good processor will complete the job. Hope this helps.

Comment

• sickmint79
            • Mar 2004

i've got a thread in this same forum asking for preamp recommendations, so far rotel rsp-1066 is looking good, was eyeing it before the thread as well...

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"