Is this too much receiver for my speakers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • menancyandsam
    • Dec 2004

Is this too much receiver for my speakers?

I own JBL LX-44 speakers (rated to 150w), plus the usual aray of mid-priced surround speakers. I'm looking to buy a receiver for HT use (30%) & music only use (70%)-(by the way I like listening to Classical & to rock music & my room size is 14x30). I would also like to listen to seperate source in another room, which can be controled in the other room.

I've read great review re: Rotel 1056 and then getting a power amp to power my front speakers.

My question is are my current speakers worthy enough for the Rotel. Or maybe I should save money & get lower price receiver. Please help in selecting a proper receiver (combo). I am not an audiophile so I doubt my ears can discern any slight differences in music quality. But if I'm going to spend up to $1,500 I would want to be sure I'ts worth it.

Thank You.
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

Well, I have not listened to any of the equipment you have. HOWEVER, I think some general opinions may suffice.

First, don't worry too much about watts of the speaker and watts of the receiver/amp. The speakers will tell you when there's a problem; if it sounds harsh or distorted just turn it down. Again, these are kind of "glittering generalities" but I think not too far off track.

Second, if you like the sound of the speakers you have, upgrading to a better receiver/amp should (but not in 100% of all cases) improve the sound.

Lastly, better speakers generally can improve the sound of a lower priced receiver/amp more so than a better receiver/amp will improve the sound of lower priced speakers.

One time I had heard or read that a good rule of thumb is to spend at least half your budget on speakers and the rest on the electronics. I don't know if it still holds true today, but the moral of story is that speakers are the last word on the sound and have more influence on the sound of your system than any other component.

Hope this helps!!
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"