X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dondon
    • Apr 2006

Separated amp and Receiver to improve audio sound quality

Hi, I am new here. I would like to seek your kind advise on this.

I have the HT set up with Marantz SR8500 receiver + B&W 704 front L/R, LCR600 center, ASW600 subwoofer and DM600 L/R rear. I play movie with Marantz DV6500 DVD player.

I am pretty satisfied with the HT system. However, when I play music CD (audio CD) with Marantz DVD player. It just not up to the standard.

Question:
    1) How can I improve the sound quality when playing audio CD?

2) Do i need to buy a separate CD player + Amp?

3) I have the old model of Denon CD player and Integrated Amp + Mission book shelf speaker. Can I reuse those stuffs?

4) If I have to buy a separate CD player + amp, how am I connect it to my existing receiver ?

Those might be stupid question to you all, sorry about that. But your advise is highly appreciated.
  • Vinny
    • Mar 2006

The best move maybe just get a dedicated CD player first? The technology for cd players have been advancing(til today, still) so I believe you would be better for the new one.

Then decide whether you need a new amp from there or not :T
    Pioneer KRP-500M
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Parasound 5125
    Oppo BDP-83
    Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
    SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• gd
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by dondon
      sound quality... It just not up to the standard.
      That could mean anything... can you elaborate in detail?

You are running very good equipment... check the following:

1. Your room acoustics and the speakers' positioning therein... simply repositioning the speakers can have a great effect... assess your room for hard vs soft surfaces, as well as its overall size, before adding new gear.

2. Your DVD player, though pretty good, may not be the best source component for music... if item #1 above is in order, you might consider a dedicated CD player (try your Denon) or an outboard DAC connected between your player and receiver (search DAC on this forum)... in either case, connect via analog, and play back thru the receiver as 'Source Direct' or '2-CH Direct' for the cleanest signal.

3. Adding an outboard amp, even if only a 2-ch for the fronts, can also be helpful with music playback, especially if you're trying to fill a large room (15x15 or more).

There is no consensus definitive "sound quality standard"... your sense (and description) of that is likely different than mine or anyone else's... if you can describe the details of what you're hearing, others may be more able to help with a suggestion.
      greg (gd to you)
      Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
      production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• dondon
        • Apr 2006

Thanks for your valuable comment.

I will try to get a new CD player. Any recommendation? Marantz or Rotel or others brand? I believe my old CD player (Denon) can't match with today technology in functional wise.

Speaker position and room size (10' x 15') should not be a problem in this case.

Hard for me to elaborate in detail of the sound quality but compare the sound quality with those set up at audio/video retail shop.......the different is there..... :cry:

Aanyway, I am very much appreciated your kind comment. Thanks

Comment

• dondon
          • Apr 2006

I will try to get a new CD player. Any recommendation? Marantz or Rotel or others brand? I believe my old CD player (Denon) can't match with today technology in functional wise.

Speaker position and room size (10' x 15') should not be a problem in this case.

Hard for me to elaborate in detail of the sound quality but compare the sound quality with those set up at audio/video retail shop.......the different is there..... :cry: ......Even though there are not hi-end system.

Anyway, I am very much appreciated your kind comment. Thanks again

Comment

• gd
            • Jan 2003

Trying to re-create at home what you heard at the retailer is not as easy as simply installing the same gear... the biggest differences will be caused by room characteristics, particularly hard / soft surfaces, and room volume / size.

But if you want to correct your issue by changing CD players, I still suggest at least trying your Denon – you might be surprised... an outboard DAC can be added to it for as little as $4-500 (there are many used units on Audiogon)... otherwise, Marantz and Rotel make good players... also look at Rega, Cambridge Audio, Arcam.

In any case, audition at home first if you can, as you're trying to get a specific sound that only you can detect precisely.
            greg (gd to you)
            Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
            production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Clive
              Former Moderator
              • Jan 2002

On the Flip side of this I am assuming that you are using an Optical or a Coaxial cable from the DVD player. Well, could you try adding a regular audio RCA cable from the DVD player to the CD input of your Denon and choose a listenning mode to your liking (Non DD) it may just do the trick :W

Which means that when you're listenning to CDs switch to the CD input on the Denon........DVD to DVD so on.

Let me Know :T
              CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Russ L
                • Jul 2006

Dondon- Marantz makes very good surround receivers and their DVD players are very capable CD players as well. You say that home theater sounds fine but 2 channel is poor. This leads me to suspect that you don't hear the poor room acoustics(as gd pointed out) in surround because your hearing sound from all directions. But in 2 channel the room reflections and resonances could be more noticeable. Try moving speakers, furniture, drapes, or wall hangings. Also, is your sub crossed over with your main speakers properly for 2 channel playback? Russ
                Last edited by Russ L; 16 July 2006, 21:10 Sunday. Reason: wrong word
                Russ

Comment

• misterdoggy
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Dedicated anything should be better than Components that cover multiple jobs.

ie: Separate Amps, dedicated CD player only will sound better than a CD/DVD multi player usually.

Rotel makes a really good Cd player for CD and HDCD but I only know the European model. I had one and it was a great player very affordable.

Comment

• whoaru99
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by dondon

Hard for me to elaborate in detail of the sound quality but compare the sound quality with those set up at audio/video retail shop.......the different is there..... :cry: ......Even though there are not hi-end system.

Anyway, I am very much appreciated your kind comment. Thanks again
                    My brother and I tested side-by-side (level matched with test tone and voltmeter at speaker terminals) several different CD only and multiformat/universal players including models from Sony, Denon (two models), Music Hall, and Pioneer.

All were evaluated using the analog outputs and all were evaluated as transports using the digital outputs into a Benchmark DAC-1.

We both preferred the sound of the Music Hall (MMF-25) via it's analog outputs over any other combination.

There are a couple of other good suggestions here such as using the Marantz player analog outputs into the receiver. Or, perhaps, assigning the players digital output to a 2nd digital input on the receiver so you can have a different speaker/bass management arrangement for CD playback. I would try the Denon player using both the analog and digital outputs. Older can make a difference for worse, but it's not always the case.

I think you have many experiments to try before you start to buy new or different gear. Of course, if just looking for a reason to buy something different, well, then you seem to have one.
                    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• KRC
                      • Aug 2004

I agree with Clive, this is the route I take. I run a digital and analog out of my Rotel 1040 DVD into my Arcam AVR 200. For input purposes, digital is labeled as the DVD and the analog is CD. The digital/DVD goes through the processors and what ever else and the analog is straight through so when listening through my B&W 703's there is a huge difference. I even go one step further and turn off my sub (B&W ASW 600) when listening to CD.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"