Why can we listen to some speakers at lower levels?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spearmint
    • Sep 2004

Why can we listen to some speakers at lower levels?

An apology if this has been answered before…

Listening to different speakers I find that some require listening at higher levels than others to make the speakers produce a good sound.

For instance in most cases I can comfortably listen at around 70dB and all the music is resolved, some speakers require the levels to be around 100dB otherwise the music feels lacking in detail.

I have been told in the past that this is normally associated with the crossover design, is this true?
    Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "
  • locomk
    • Dec 2005

There are many factors that can contribute to a speakers low volume performance. the efficiency of the speaker can make a huge difference as far it producing a good sound from a low amount of power. speakers such as Klipsch that have a 97-102 db rating sound consistent at almost any volume. The Amp or receiver your using also makes a difference. Most home theater receivers are rated to sound their best at a high volume and at low volumes sound very hollow and muffled.

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

The room is also a big factor...
      Danish

Comment

• Spearmint
        • Sep 2004

Thanks for the replies!

I understand there are other factors that contribute, it is just some speakers and these are in the 96dB rating when using the same amps etc etc require to be driven at higher levels to make them sound right. I guess what I’m trying to say is it is like the speakers are asleep and have trouble resolving detail at low levels until you get them up to around 100dB then they sound good.
        Richard

Comment

• Sim reality
          • Aug 2005

I don't think there is a easy answer because if there was one, everyone would be building the "ultimate speaker".

I think the problem comes down to the fact that driver efficency changes as more power is applied. This "efficency curve" changes due to the various physical charateristics of the driver (size, weight, stiffness, volume of air used for acoustic suspension) which basically is a balancing act for the speaker builder to integrate the various drivers into something that sounds cohesive.

I am pretty sure that most speakers have a "sweet spot" on the volume setting where all the drivers integrate seamlessly if they have been designed properly and many that sound very bad when played too loud.

Comment

• Martyn
            • Feb 2006

By coincidence, Dave Ellis has referred me to this web site: http://www.high-endaudio.com/rec.html. A third or so of the way down this page you will see a heading "Low-Level Information..." where the author talks briefly about this phenomenom.

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Martyn
              By coincidence, Dave Ellis has referred me to this web site: http://www.high-endaudio.com/rec.html. A third or so of the way down this page you will see a heading "Low-Level Information..." where the author talks briefly about this phenomenom.
              That was certainly a interesting read Martyn.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Spearmint
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Martyn
                Yes thanks for the link, I'll sit back and do some reading.
                Richard

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"