X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • b&Wman
    • Nov 2004

Pre/Pro suggestions

I'm in the middle of a system upgrade and am pretty sure my current pre/pro is a bottleneck in my system. I'm not very familiar with good pre/pros but I'd like something that is excellent for home theater and excellent for music. Excellent for music meaning that it doesn't color the sound and has a good pure direct bypass and also has a decent D/A and analog output for other audio sources. No set price range. I want something that will not limit my below system but not by overkill and break the bank. Something that will fit in well with the quality of the rest of my system.

My system at the time of the upgrade will be:
    Front Speakers: B&W 804S or 803S
    Surround Speakers: B&W 805S
    Front Amp: Odyssey Audio Stratos Plus
    Rear Amp: Odyssey Audio Stratos
    CD/DVD: Onkyo SP-1000 Universal Player
    Groneberg Quattro Reference Cabling
    Pre/Pro: Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver (that will be replaced)
  • RedStep
    • Sep 2002

IMO..I don't see anything out there that beats the coveted B&K Ref 50 s2. Too many positives to list, but you can check it out here: http://www.bkcomp.com/ref50.asp
    RedStep
    We are truly a product of the decisions we make

Comment

• jazznsoccer
      • Apr 2004

Here's my list:

Bryston 1.7
      Arcam AV8
      Anthem D1

all are very good. I bought the Arcam because I lucked into a great deal, but I could go easily with the Bryston. Check out the following links:

These are at teh higher end of the spectrum.

Rotel 1098 is a good choice at a lower price level.

Comment

• ht_addict
        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by b&Wman
        I'm in the middle of a system upgrade and am pretty sure my current pre/pro is a bottleneck in my system. I'm not very familiar with good pre/pros but I'd like something that is excellent for home theater and excellent for music. Excellent for music meaning that it doesn't color the sound and has a good pure direct bypass and also has a decent D/A and analog output for other audio sources. No set price range. I want something that will not limit my below system but not by overkill and break the bank. Something that will fit in well with the quality of the rest of my system.

My system at the time of the upgrade will be:
        Front Speakers: B&W 804S or 803S
        Surround Speakers: B&W 805S
        Front Amp: Odyssey Audio Stratos Plus
        Rear Amp: Odyssey Audio Stratos
        CD/DVD: Onkyo SP-1000 Universal Player
        Groneberg Quattro Reference Cabling
        Pre/Pro: Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver (that will be replaced)
        What is it about the 2400 you don't like as a pre/pro?

ht_addict

Comment

• Adz
          • Jan 2004

Here's my list:

Bryston 1.7
          Arcam AV8
          Anthem D1

Coincidence you would pick those? Passions (and tensions) run pretty high amongst our Guide members when it comes to these three. Throw Halo in there and you're sure to get a Royal Rumble going. I have the 1.7 and can only compare in my house to a pretty expensive Pioneer Elite Receiver and the Rotel 1098. The 1.7 has no bells and whistles, no video switching but puts forth the cleanest, incredibly utterly engaging sound I have ever heard for both HT and music.
          Adz

Comment

• jimmyp58
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

I guess I must have good taste ... others are kind of agreeing to what I wrote a while back...

Jim
            Last edited by jimmyp58; 01 December 2004, 06:56 Wednesday.
            jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• whoaru99
              • Jul 2004

Perhaps the Anthem AVM 30 at somewhat of a lower price point than those previously mentioned. I certainly do not have a high-end system, but none the less I'm quite pleased with my AVM 20 v.2.
              There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• will1066
                • Aug 2003

Anyone would be happy with an AVM 20.

Comment

• ht_addict
                  • Dec 2002

Try a Pioneer 56TXi. It uses Dual Motorola DSP's, 2x27000uf caps and Burr-Brown DACS. And it costs half as much as a dedicated pre/pro.

ht_addict

Comment

• jimmyp58
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

What is the cost of this Pioneer?

Comment

• ht_addict
                      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by jimmyp58
                      What is the cost of this Pioneer?
                      I think its $1500US. I know in Canada it MSRP's for $1700, but you should be able to get 14-20% off. Alot off people get the 1014TXK for $500 since it has the same feature set as the Elite 52Tx.

ht_addict

Comment

• jimmyp58
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

HT ADDICT:

There are a number of excellent dedicated pre/pros that cost a tad over, equal to, or even below this Pioneer you are referring to. Rotel RSP-1068, Anthem AVM-20 (remaining models), Sherwood Newcastle P-965, just to name a few.

Jim

Comment

• ht_addict
                          • Dec 2002

Originally posted by jimmyp58
                          HT ADDICT:

There are a number of excellent dedicated pre/pros that cost a tad over, equal to, or even below this Pioneer you are referring to. Rotel RSP-1068, Anthem AVM-20 (remaining models), Sherwood Newcastle P-965, just to name a few.

Jim
                          Cost maybe closer in the US but unfortunately up here in Canada, the difference is much greater. My local dealer has an AVM-20 for $3K and the RPS-1068 runs double the price also. As a pre/pro for the price the 56TXi has the processing power(Dual Motorola DSP vs AVM-20's one) and construction thats tought to beat.

ht_addict

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"