X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bleeding ears
    • Nov 2004

192/24 or 96/24 which are really necessary

Hi, are 192Khz/24bit DACs only necessary for DVD Audio discs?

I am looking to update to a new A/V Receiver, but am unsure if I need to
    buy one with 192Khz/24 bit DAC s. (or 7.1 either)

If these 192Khz DACs are only used when playing DVD Audio discs (which I dont own) I may be able to save some money and go for an older receiver of even better quality/power with 96Khz DACs.

Anyone with knowledge in this area? I am finding it hard to get any info on this topic or anyone who really understands it all.
    Thanks
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

I think you are mixing things up. The issue is not what DVD audio is, as long as there is no real standard for a digital connection. In other words, you will most likely be doing all the conversion in the player anyway.
    However the DACs in the receiver will determine the sound, as most receivers convert all analogue signals to digital in order to do volume regulation, bass management etc.
    Can you then assume that 192 is better than 96? In theory yes, but there are so many qualities of DACs that it really depends on the implementation, so my advise would be to listen to both models and judge for your self..

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"