X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mattca
    • Oct 2004

Need Multi Channel amp help

Which of these multi-channel amps would you recomend? It will be connected to a Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX receiver.

1. Lexicon Cx-7
    2. Aragon 2007
    3. B&K Reference 200.7
    4. Sunfire Grand Cinema 200 seven

Should I be concerned with THX certification? I believe only the sunfire does not have this. If you have any other recommendations that are comprobable to these amps please post. I would like 200wpc 7 channels.

Thanks
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Have you considered Earthquake's CineNova Grande 5? 300X5 and is awesome. You could use 2-channels from your receiver to power the rear surrounds for the time being until you buy a high quality two-channel amp for your mains. PM me for questions.

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Mattca
      • Oct 2004

Is 300 watts ok to use through my B&W 704 speaker system which claims it can take 150 watts max?

Thanks for the advise

Matt

Comment

• jimmyp58
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

The usual rule is you want more amp power than less. Less wattage amps tend to damage more speakers due to distortion.

I doubt you'd have an issue other than enjoying some great listening!

Comment

• Elmac
          • Apr 2004

The other amps I would look at is
          Rotel
          Bryston,
          Anthem
          all 3 are great sounding amps. you have to choose the sound quality yourself
          and higher power amps will give you better/superior bottom sound, you have to make a decision what are you looking for...
          Elmac
          All HT Signals Processed by D2 for Ultimate Experience

Comment

• Mattca
            • Oct 2004

Sould I care if the amp is THX certified?

Nice theater Matt

Comment

• Elmac
              • Apr 2004

Thank you and no you should not care if it is THX.
              I would listen and compare them with your speakers at all volumes before I would make a decision, and don't rush in to the deal. I know some dealers are very pushy on some equipment brands than others (because of the margin they make on it), so you have to make your ears and your wallet make the decision on this.
              hope this helps
              Elmac
              All HT Signals Processed by D2 for Ultimate Experience

Comment

• jimmyp58
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

Bryston and Anthem a definite concurrence from me but I didn't know your budget. THX certification is not meaningful to me, IMO.

Comment

• Mattca
                  • Oct 2004

Best amp primarily for theater use. The more power the better. Budget for amp about $3,000. Some of those amps I wont be able audition because I dont know of any dealers close to me that sell them. I am leaning towards the Earthquake Cinenova. If any of you have heard this amp in action please tell me your thoughts on it.

Thanks
                  Matt

Comment

• Fife
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Mattca
                    .....Budget for amp about $3,000......I am leaning towards the Earthquake Cinenova. Thanks
                    Matt

That is what I would recommend in that price range.

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                      • Jan 2004

Parasound Halo A51 is a great amp and THX certified but can’t argue with the Cinenova recommendations, never heard a bad thing about them.
                      My Center Channel Project

Comment

• jimmyp58
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

Of course you probably know, it's a beast (~125 lbs.). It will come to you shipped in a wooden artillery crate and your UPS will be cussing you out all the way up the driveway (make sure you take a picture!).

Sonically I have found it very pleasing, clean, clear, concise, and of course, powerful! I get lots of detail out of it. It runs tepid and has an extremely low noise floor. Some folks, when they see an amp of this magnitude, rush to put a fan behind their unit to cool it down. I have yet to find someone that actually had to employ it. I am a huge Bryston fan too so I use those for my fronts and center but I know a lot of guys that use the Grande 5 for all their speakers and love it (one guy that you may want to PM if he doesn't chime in is sikoniko). Ten year transferable warranty is awful nice too.

There's a great review in the volume 11 issue of hometheaterhifi publication on it.

Hope this helps!

Jim

Comment

• mcwilson
                          • Sep 2004

Another great amp maker is ATI (Amplifier Technologies Inc.). You can get a 200N or a 300N where N is the number of channels you want. I have a 3006 and a 3004. The sound is jaw-dropping. They also call for re-inforced rack systems. My 3006 weighs in at around 155 lbs.! I was cussing like a sailor getting it into my rack...

Good luck with your purchase. In your price range, you should be patient and shop around.

Comment

• sikoniko
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2003

chime! chime! chime!

I really really like the looks of the parasound halo c2, but for the money, their amps just don't seem worth it to me when you compare it to the value you get from the cinenova grande 5.

This amp is the best kept secret that noone seems to want to jump for! I understand not being able to audition it and having that concern, but it is definately something you won't be disappointed in. With it being 300x5, it is an amp you can grow into as well. I have it matched up with my b&W N804's, htm1 and 603's and it really opened them up tremendously. sound is very 3-d and I couldn't ask for more in an amp I don't believe. for me, it is an investment well worth the price and I hope to keep it in my system for the length of the warranty, and possibly then some.

I could probably elaborate further at a later time if necessary.

btw Jimmy, have you done a review on your new setup yet?
                            I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• CWD
                              • Mar 2004

If you aren't hung up on by "name brand" stuff, I suggest trying the Outlaw Audio 770 if you are looking for a 7-channel amp or 755 if you only need 5 channels. Both are 200W per channel which is more than enough for even large rooms. ATI was mentioned before and these amps. have the same performance as ATI at a better price-point. They have a very attractive "try it and like it" policy. If you don't like the amp, just return it for a refund. You get to try their amp, in your room, with your equipment which is the only way to evaluate a product. They sell direct over the Internet and provide great gear at a great price. I decided to give them a try myself and now own 2 of their amps.

Good luck.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

Good point about the 'growing into' part.

Not to steal the thread but no, haven't done the review yet. Unfortunately (or fortunately :B ) I had to make a few other adjustments. With this, they held up the shipment of my speakers so they could get them all in one fell swoop (I added another sub --- replaced my Def Tech SuperCube II). That plus getting a pre-amp to create a multi-zone for my Bryston SP 1.7 has thrown this for a delay too.

I should receive shipment NLT a week from Monday on all the speakers and will do a review shortly thereafter.

Jim

Comment

• Mattca
                                  • Oct 2004

Thanks for all the help guys. I think im going to go with the Earthquake Cinenova. I don't think i'll be dissapointed, but if I am I can always return it. :T

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"