X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mattca
    • Oct 2004

Rear Speaker Placement

Is it ok and will I get correct sound from dipole surround speakers if I mount them in-ceiling? My ceiling is about 9ft high.

Please Help
    Thanks
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Is it ok? Sure, no problem. It's not going to be the 100% THX setup solution, but if you have to, do what works for you! I use ceiling speakers for surrounds in my bedroom theater.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Wayne A. Pflughaupt
      • Jun 2002

I have my doubts as to how well it will work, as dipoles rely on reflections off the front and back walls for their diffuse, ambient qualities. In-ceiling means the reflection point is probably the floor.

Still, careful positioning could get some use out of them, if they are positioned right.

For instance, if they are to be parallel with the front of the room, the right positioning could bounce the sound off the rear wall and on to the seating area (which would have to be forward of the wall). Of course, the sound from the front of the speakers, which would be firing towards the floor between the seating and display, would basically be a loss.

Likewise, if the speakers are mounted perpendicular, they could be to the left and right sides of the seating. That way one side would fire directly to seating, while the other would hit the side walls and direct towards the floor.

Regards,
      Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Comment

• Mattca
        • Oct 2004

Thank You for the advice. Maybe direct firing in-ceilings would produce better results?

Matt

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Matt, let me clarify something as I'm a bit confused - are you talking about ON-ceiling or IN-ceiling (recessed into the cavity above the ceiling). The di-poles will work fine if you are mounting them ON the surface of the ceiling (just like it was a wall). If you are going with an IN-ceiling mount, you definitely do not want to use a dipole - use a direct firing unit.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Mattca
            • Oct 2004

Hey Guys

You can scratch this question because I decided it would be better to build faux walls and put the di-poles in there. The only reason I was considering putting them in-ceiling was because there is a window on one side of the room, which I decided to seal and make into a wall. So end of problem.

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it.

Matt

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"