X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willbrosk
    • Sep 2004

a little speaker advice

I am about to upgrade my speakers with a budget of appr 1500 and would appreciate some advice. I currently have speakers from a sony in the box system so im sure anything I get will be better, but want to do the best with cash I have. The reciever will be a yamaha htr-5760 with a denon 1910 dvd/cd player. The system will be mainly for home theater but some music also. Let me go ahead and state that I am in no way an audiophile, but I do like good sound. So far I have been thinking of going for either a klipsch set up with 2rf-35 2rs-35 and rc 35 and a sub or wharfedale evo setup with evo-30s, evo center and dx12 sub(not sure about the evo dfs due to no wall to put them on, would they work mounted at angle from a tray ceiling?). I have listened to both setups and liked them both. I know they appear to be out of my budget range, but I have found each setup heavily discounted at various online options. My question is which would you go for and why, or is there something else in my price range that I should look at. Not sure if this will help but I dont like infinity or polk audio both sound too tinny(high) to me.
  • TimRawson
    • Oct 2004

Not an audiophile myself, but I'd go give Boston Acoustic's VR2's a listen. About 750 a pair at a dealer, then the matching center 300 bucks or so. Maybe just get inexpensive rear surrounds for now unless your going all out 7.1 right away.

I had seriously considered these speakers. Of course many others will way in mentioning Paradigm and Axiom. Also some good budget speakers are those Athena's at BestBuy - owned by same company/distributor of Energy and Mirage which are some smooth sounding Canadian speakers (had mirage's before in the past).

Also, a sub I like is Earthquake supernova 10 incher, can get one for like 200 bucks on eBay. Look up 'Earthquake Supernova'

Back to the Boston Acoustic's, they have a high efficency 93db I think which makes them easy to drive. They are have excellent, sharp and pronounced midrange which balance well with Yamaha and Sony, or many of the Japanese units. Smooth bass - 3 way design. They also have the VR1 wish are a two way like many of the other options you'll see.

Comment

• Kemp
      • Nov 2003

I have the VR3's and bravo's as surrounds with a yamaha amp. Perfect for me. With a budget of 1500 you could easily do a 5.1 setup with Boston.
      Marius

Comment

• willbrosk
        • Sep 2004

Hmm well I just found energy-speaker setup as follows two floorstanding C7s, two rear C-r1 and C-C1 center for 1350 shipped. I am going to see if I can find a local dealer to preview them at, but my concern is how are they going to work with my yamaha amp. One of the reasons I have not looked at Paradigm, is that i have read so many places that they dont go well with yamaha or other jap units

Comment

• Bam!
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2004

partially off topic to the original demand....Except for the edit!

.....when I think of speakers at this price range....I can only be reminded of one of my buddies who made himself Full Range speakers with a Fostex driver from Ratshack for about 25.00$ + the cabinet which is peanuts in terms of $$$$.......he drives them with Wave 8 amplifiers....which are tube amps giving a whole 8 watts of power....the beauty of full range speakers.....they are very efficient!

I was totally impressed and said to myself if one day someone is looking to spend 1500.00$ on speakers....this is the way to go....they blow evrything away in this price range.....and the whole ensemble would cost you 300.00$ max with the wood.....there isn't any crossover to worry about since they are full range speakers....

Ofcourse the only thing to all this is you need to find Antique Sound Labs Wave 8's * 5....They go for about 250.00$/each...you'd still be in the budget!LOL!!!!

Anyways....just my 2 cents! Take what you want from this....I just had to say it!

edit-) S2'S from Athena are really pretty sweet in this price range too.....
          Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"