X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zissou
    • Feb 2006

Serious Earthquake Cinenova Issue

Have what until today was a perfectly functioning Cinenova 5.
    Well I have had an issue, not a small one, and am very upset with Earthquake's response. We had the system on playing a movie as background noise when I heard a loud POP and a strange noise I'd never heard before. I glanced back at the amp and saw flames shooting from the top of the amp about a foot and a half to two feet in the air. Needless to say I ran to the amp and shut it down but it had already blown the wall plug breakers. The smell of an acrid electrical fire filled the air and I stood there stunned for a few moments. When lucidity kicked in I started wonder what else it had taken out, my speakers or pre/pro perhaps?
    I also started thinking I'd better call Earthquake but first we wanted to take the top off and see what damage had been caused. Luckily it looked like most channels were intact, no fuses had blown(???) and the 20 amp circuit breaker had not shut down. The huge capacitor on the channel that had literally "fried" was scarred black and had a hole and crack blown in it. I called Earthquake and "luckily" the manager was in. After explaining my issue he immediately starting talking to me in a mocking tone of voice explaining he's never heard of this happening. I replied that I could care less if it hadn't happened before it had happened NOW! I explained that I lived in Canada and when I had purchased the amp the previous owner had phoned Earthquake and arranged for the unit to be covered. He started laughing and said that's impossible as we only cover the original owner. Now I know this to be false as I have recommended and probably sold more of these units than most dealers have and I know that warranties are transferrable as all the amps I had recommended to friends and colleagues had gone through this procedure. He then started to get rude and said well it doesn't matter as we do not cover any warranties in Canada. His voice started to raise and unfortunately instead of taking a deep breath I got angry as well and he hung up on me.
    So much for good or even reasonable service. At this point being angry I decided to check deeper and see what damage had been done. This next bit attests to the superb build of these amps. I pulled the fuse from the literally "blown" channel and unhooked the two power wires running to it and damned if I didn't get 4 channels working perfectly. This after having flames shooting out of the top of the amp. At this point thinking my wife might do a better job, having a cooler head than I at this point, she called back and no they will not cover this under their ten year warranty so we're stuck for now. On one hand the sound is sublime, on the other hand since the unit is on 24/7 I do not know what would have happened had we not been home. There are curtains as room treatment fairly close to the amp and they easily could have caught on fire. To say I was alarmed and upset when I called might be an understatement but to have the manager, and he says he's been there 20 years, treat this so lightly and in such a condescending manner has shocked me and this happened 5 hours ago. I do intend to post my experiences on every board I'm a member on because clearly this could be a dangerous issue and the way I was treated by the company has me sick to my stomach. I have probably recommended and sourced a dozen of these amps for people and I always talk highly of their sound quality, that still exists, and of the integrity of the company. When I first purchased mine and it replaced a Krell I was so excited I called the company and talked for half an hour to one of the engineers about all manner of music and sound. Clearly his friendly demeanor was an anomaly at Earthquake.
    I am upset, angry and a little shaken up right now. I was expecting great service and instead I was derided and made to feel like an idiot. I hardly expect any resolution from them at this point but if they do I will update this posts. Until then I would be wary of purchasing what really is an amazing product.
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Contact Jim Piscitello over at www.nextlevelav.com, he's a big seller of Earthquake and has a LOT of pull at Earthquake it seems... He's a really good guy and should be able to help you!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Zissou
      • Feb 2006

Awaiting word on what will happen.
      Last edited by Zissou; 02 March 2006, 20:39 Thursday.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"