X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rotel&energy
    • May 2004

pink floyd recordings

I have three pink floyd albums - Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall. All are burned discs, so the quality isn't that great. I do not have a SACD player, so I'm looking for good remastered versions of the discs I just listed. I thought that some of these albums have been released multiple times over the years (esp. Dark Side) but I could be wrong.

My question is, are there any remastered or hdcd versions of these albums available? Are certain versions better than others?

Thanks!

chris
    Christopher
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

The latest DSOTM SACD has a pretty damn good CD layer... I know this because I own a DVD-A only Denon 1600 so it's all I've been able to listen to yet :evil:

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• gd
      • Jan 2003

The latest round of redbook remasters -- the ones you'd most likely find at a retailer -- are said to be less than great... but I've not heard them, so I can't confirm that... I've bought multiple copies of these titles over the years, and the best-sounding DSOTM and WYWH I've found are Japan-import CDs on the EMI label... the best-sounding The Wall I've heard is the MFSL Gold remaster from several years ago... mind you, that's according to my ears... naturally, all those options are pricy -- if you can even find them... if you can find the out-of-print Shine On box set from '92, those sound good as well.

Frankly, I'd spend the money on a modest universal player and enjoy DSOTM in hi-res SACD... it's in a whole different league than any version that's come before... and I believe the rest of PF's catalog is scheduled for hi-res in the near(?) future.
      greg (gd to you)
      Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
      production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• rotel&energy
        • May 2004

time to jump to a universal player, eh? man, upgrading never ends...

thanks for the help guys. my versions are seriously lacking right now so it is high time i do something about it.

kind of off-topic, but how much sound quality do you lose when you listen to a burned disc instead of an original redbook? i feel there's a difference...am i mistaken?
        Christopher

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Well if you have a good burner and you're using good quality media there should be little to no difference. Cheap media and a cheap burner however and who knows...?

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• gd
            • Jan 2003

Ditto what Jason said... good source + good equipment + good media = a CD-R that should be virtually indistinguishable from the original.

If you're just yankin' em off the internet (and I hope you're not :evil: ), you're likely getting what you deserve... garbage in, garbage out.

Pioneer makes a neat little entry-level universal player, a fairly painless ($150) way to dabble in the new hi-res formats... the difference is clearly audible in my low-mid HT... worth it for DSOTM alone!

greg (gd to you)
            Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
            production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• rotel&energy
              • May 2004

Ha! Yeah, I'm not stealing music. These are copies from a friend's originals that he gave to me as a Christmas gift.

Hmm, well now that I'm done saving up for an engagement ring I guess it is time to upgrade! :B
              Christopher

Comment

• NMyTree
                • May 2004

I have the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (Original Masters Recording) .....UltraDisc 2, of Dark Side Of The Moon; and I see no reason to purchase any other version/remaster of the album.

It sounds great to me.

The Wall, now I'd love to find that on MFSL!!
                Tony

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Tony
                  I have the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (Original Masters Recording) .....UltraDisc 2, of Dark Side Of The Moon; and I see no reason to purchase any other version/remaster of the album.
                  Braggart. :B And rightly so. I'd be braggin' too! :T

If I can be nosy, where'd you get it, how much was it and are there any more?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• NMyTree
                    • May 2004

:B

Actually, I found it at Manifest Records/CDs in Charlotte, NC, about 3 years ago. I wasn't looking for it, but when I saw it.......I snatched it up!!

I haven't been to Manifest in quite a long time, but I'm going there on September 6th.

David, you have my word, if I find it, I will pick it up for you. I promise. I will add it to my little list of CDs to search for.

If it's there......it's yours!

One of the discs I'm desperately searching for, is Jean Michel -Jarre's..... Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs...Ultra Disc 2 version of "Oxygene". One of the reasons I'm going to Manifest.

I saw it on musicdirect......for about....$180.00- $200.00. Which is way too steep for a CD. Screw that. I have the standard "Oxygene" and it sounds good, and I want the MFSL version, but not at that price.
                    Tony

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Tony
                      David, you have my word, if I find it, I will pick it up for you. I promise. I will add it to my little list of CDs to search for.

If it's there......it's yours!
                      Oh man, I'll have a check in the mail to you SOOOO FAST! Thanks! :yesnod: :T

Comment

• dave
                        • Aug 2003

Hey all,, check out www.audiogon.com for all of the above listed titles
                        I see them there frequently. Also add Meddle to the list I own DSOTM,
                        MEDDLE and WISH YOU WERE HERE all on Gold disc IMHO Meddle has the best sound quality of the three. While were on this subject, the newly
                        remastered version of Animals is worth noting as well!!!
                        Happy Listening
                        Dave...

Comment

• NMyTree
                          • May 2004

Sorry David, no luck on finding DSOTM (Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs)

In my search for Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene (MFSL) and Dark Side Of The Moon (MFSL), we started the day by going to Media Play first. I check each respective bin area, for both, and came up empty. Also checked all the used CDs for sale. Nope, not there either.

Im did find Neil Young's Harvest (DVD-Audio) for $17.99 and Fleetwood Mac's Rumours (DVD-Audio) for the same price. I purchased them....but.....more on that later.

Then we headed over to Manifest Compact Discs and Records.

It wasn't there in the Pink Floyd section nor was it in the used CDs section. Same with 'Oxygene"....not there.

I had one of the guys who work there, search the computer for it. Manifest has about three or four stores, so I thought maybe they could be in one of those stores. Neither disc was there.

Although, he did find Jean Michel Jarre's 'Equinox" MFSL version, in one of the other stores. So he's having it sent to the Charlotte store for me.

No luck in the used section

I did find John Lennon's Imagine (MFSL Ultradisc 2) and bought that.

Well, after Manifest we headed to Concord Mills Mall, to the movie theater in the Mall; to see Alien vs. Predator.

My buddy wanted to go over to FYE (Music Store) to look for something. Now, FYE is not a store I normally shop for CD/DVDs because of their ridiculous prices ($17.99 - 20.99 for Redbook CD). But, if you look around and hunt....you can sometimes find a great deal on something you want.

I checked Pink Floyd.........no luck.

Then I went searching for Oygene.

I couldn't believe it! They had Oxygene(MFSL Ultradisc 2) ....used.....for $7.99 :E WOW!!!

I snatched that CD and went to the counter, to have the cashier open the cd for me , so I could check the condition of the disc.

. Whoa :E .....the disc is in excellent shape :E Just a slight smudge (which came off with a gentle stroke of a damp cotton cloth and a tiny bit of mild dishwashing liquid. After the cleaning, it looks brand new! Although, I could use a new jewel case.

After finding "Oxygene" and paying for it, I went ballistic searching their used cds, in hopes of striking oil a second time.....with DSOTM.

Unfortunately, didn't happen.

Back to the DVD-Audio discs I bought. I'm really pissed off that both of these DVD-Audio discs (which are my first DVD-Audio discs), are both scratched and scuffed! These are new discs, never opened and they're scratched and scuffed. I'm returning them to exchange for 2 others of the same titles.

Pretty sad when you buy a used disc, which turns out to be in pristine conditon. And the two new discs you buy are all scratched up.

Go figure.
                          Tony

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Tony, thanks for trying. Oh well, if you happen to run across it at some point. . . .

That's a bummer 'bout the new DVD-As. At least you got the Jarre! :T

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

Yeah that sucks about the new discs Harvest 2-channel is awesome but don't even waste your time on the multichannel. Rumours is good on both but I slightly prefer the stereo mix for it's sweeeeet clarity :P

Jason
                              Jason

Comment

• NMyTree
                                • May 2004

You're Welcome David.

I will keep an eye out for it.

You're right David. I can't believe how fortunate I was to find that used "Oxygene" CD. Amazing!

I called Media Play and explained the problem and they said to just return them and exchange.

Actually, Harvest was $16.99, my mistake. Close enough, though. :B

Honestly "aud19" , I bought them for the 2-channel. I plan on taking a listen to the Multi-Channel....just for the sake of checking it out.

But 2 -channel is main concern.
                                Tony

Comment

• ajpoe
                                  • Jul 2004

You guys should really check out your local library. I just looked for sh!ts and giggles and found several of these titles available on CD. My library system is online so u can search all branches and have it reserved and sent to your preferred location. I'd imagine it's the same elsewhere?

AJ
                                  AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• David Meek
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Wait a minute. AJ, are you saying you found the MF - Ultradisck, Dark Side Of The Moon?????? 8O

At your LIBRARY?????? 8O
                                    Last edited by David Meek; 07 October 2004, 21:06 Thursday. Reason: omitted that last phrase

Comment

• ajpoe
                                      • Jul 2004

No, sorry David, not that one. Just the digitally remastered CD of Dark Side of the Moon. But, there are a lot of titles that have been named in this and a couple of the other recent threads such as referrence songs and albums you can play over and over again.

ajpoe
                                      AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• richardzullo
                                        • Oct 2004

lol I cant believe i found them

I found my pink floyd THE WALL last night in my upstairs attic!!
                                        The ultradisc versions are the ones made in japan and are rare.
                                        The ultradisc II versions are newer and are less sought after... :roll:
                                        They only pressed pink floyd THE WALL for one year.

enough bragging for me....lol....I was so excited to find it and knew you guys would appreciate it.......lol

Comment

• will1066
                                          • Aug 2003

I never sat down and compared the MFSL and SACD 2-ch versions of DSOTM, and I don't know why. Has anyone done a comparison? Hmm, maybe this is something to try this weekend.

MFSL DSOTM

disc

Comment

• Brandon B
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jun 2001

Japan? Hmmmmmm.

BB

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"