X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Songs that choke you up

I know we all have at least one song that gives you a little lump in your throat and that burning, tingling sensation on the back of your neck and arms every time you here it...

I'll offer Nina Simone's Ne Me Quitte Pas as one of my musical soft-spots. The emotions she positively drips with while singing this can't help but bring most people to their knees.

Jason
    Jason
  • glangston@socal
    • May 2004

Only one

"Circle Game" by Joni Mitchell. My sister and a friend sang it at their graduation. Still a choker....

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

I'm going to pick a couple of odd ones here.

1. No Woman/No Cry - Bob Marley
      2. A Matter of Time - Los Lobos (about a man trying to cross the border to search for a better life in the U.S. to support his family, but having to leave behind his wife and kids. He tries to console his wife by saying they'll be together as a family again, "It's just a matter of time...," but it's just a hope and no certainty that he'll ever see them again.
      Keith

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

"Living Years"

Don't know why, I feel such an empathy in this song, even though my father is still alive. I just seem to love the message and the childrens choir in the song.

glangston@socal, the Young choir in "Circle Game" gets me too
        Bing

Comment

• Dr C
          • Feb 2003

It was 1985 and I was on my honeymoon in the US. My 1st visit to the States It was a magical experience as I saw - for the 1st time - the magnificent waterways and forests of the Pacific North West swooping below the plane

Landed in Seattle without any confirmation. Managed to rent a Mustang (they ran out of all the other cars since I came unannounced) and drove around looking for a motel (how my wife trusted me to do all this is beyond me - the innocence of youth nowadays it's different).

Took the opportunity to drive down I5 with the wind in our hair ... the setting sun was soaking the hill slopes with a yellow light; and being fall the slopes looked like they were on fire ... one hand on the window sill ... the open road ... and Don Henley's Sunset Grill on the radio ...

Magical. Washington and Oregon will always be special in my heart and whenever I hear this song it brings me back ...

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

Jason....don`t know that particular album of her/him :lol:

Man you swear it is a man singing at times!

She is great though!

Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• fdorogi
              • May 2004

Johnny Cash's "He Stopped Loving Her Today", the version on the Unearthed Disc set. It's kind of corny, but I always replay that track several times when the disc is in the tray.

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

A couple that come to mind are:

Someone To Lay Down Beside Me - Linda Ronstadt
                Holding Back The Years - Simply Red

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Bam!
                  Bing!

I HATE :M that song....I mean hate!!!!

It puts me in a crappy mood and to be honest the thought went through my mind to find these guys and shoot them.....

This should be under a new thread....Songs that make you want to shoot the singers.... :lol: :M

Really bad.......bad I say.....bad..... :M

:

Well thank you for ripping me all to shreds Bam :evil: ops:
                  Bing

Comment

• Bam!
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Bing Fung
                    Well thank you for ripping me all to shreds Bam :evil: ops:

Sorry Bing.

ops:
                    Last edited by Bam!; 11 June 2004, 12:09 Friday.
                    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Bam, I think he's serious.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Well obviously when you start the subject of songs that choke people up there's a chance emotions are going to be out in the open. Bing, My Dad's a big fan of the Mike + the Mechanics song you mentioned and so I sort of am too as I know what it means to him. I'm sure Bam didn't intend to rip you to shreds but let's all try to be respectul of eachother's feelings even if you may not agree with someone's musical selection

Now let's hear some more! :T

Jason
                        Jason

Comment

• gd
                          • Jan 2003

"Don't Give Up"... Peter Gabriel with Kate Bush
                          greg (gd to you)
                          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Bing I like that song a lot as well. Another for me would be John Berry's you love amazes me...mainly b/c it was our wedding song :smootch:

Comment

• NMyTree
                              • May 2004

Pearl Jam's "Black"........" Thumbing My Way"..........."Sad"........

Sarah McLachlin's ......"I Love You".........."Possession"

Angie Aparo...."The American"..............."Cry"

Elton John...." High Flying Bird " .........." Skyline Pidgeon " ....."We All Fall In Love Sometimes"...."Curtains"

Every once in a while, there's a whole lot of lumps...in the throat...in this house :B
                              Tony

Comment

• glangston@socal
                                • May 2004

Danny Boy

and you don't have to be Irish....but it helps... :

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Hmmm... I've got several.

There's several Christian songs that are overwhelming on the emotions, glorifying God. One that comes to mind is "Hosanna Holy Holy", a composite song of vocals and instrumental trumpet by Phil Driscoll. Being a trumpet player myself, I'll just crank this one up and it chills me to the bone. (Phil's an AWESOME player, world famous)

"God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood--this one's banned in my house except for special occasions since it's so moving.

"So Beautiful" by a small private band called Old River Road. I happened across one of their privately produced CD's.

Two other songs that move me, but don't necessarily get me chocked up, are "Bad" by U2, when jammed properly, and "The Cat's in the Cradle", done by a couple different artists. (including the very surprisingly well done Ugly Kid Joe)

I'll have to think of others.
                                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

There are quite a few for me. One that always seems to get me is Phil Collins- In the Air Tonight. I first heard it as part of the soundtrack on the pilot "Miami Vice" episode. Have loved it every since.
                                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• dave
                                      • Aug 2003

For me it's,,
                                      Leader of the band/washington post march
                                      by Dan Fogelberg.
                                      Especially with the death of my Dad a little over 6months ago,
                                      however this one put a lump in my throat long before....
                                      Beautiful song and worth a listen if you havent heard it before.
                                      Dave...

Comment

• Robbie
                                        • Aug 2000

OK I'm in.

Here's a few of mine that always tug at me.

Emmylou Harris/Wrecking Ball
                                        David Massengill/My Home Must Be a Special Place: A real heartstring puller.
                                        Iris Dement/My Life: Written after her fathers death.

Good Listening

Robbie

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                          • Sep 2001

Perhaps the most melancholy music I’ve heard is not a song, but the first movement to Shostakovitch’s String Quartet No. 8 in C minor, op. 110. As performed by The Fitzwilliam String Quartet, it brings a lump to my throat every time without fail. But there are several songs that do that, too, and for each there is a story I could tell, but I won’t. (Not here, anyway.) :>)

Diamonds and Rust” lyrics and music written and performed by Joan Baez

Fountain of Sorrow” lyrics and music written and performed Jackson Browne

Don’t Let the Teardrops Rust Your Shining Heart” lyrics and music written by Everything But the Girls and performed by Holly Cole

Songs to Aging Children Come” lyrics and music written and performed by Joni Mitchell

Clouds” lyrics and music written by Joni Mitchell and performed by Judy Collins

Positively 4th Street” lyrics and music written and performed by Bob Dylan

Black Muddy River” lyrics written by Robert Hunter, music written by Jerry Garcia and performed by The Grateful Dead

Make Our Garden Grow” from “Candide” lyrics written by Richard Wilbur, music written by Leonard Bernstein and performed by Leonard Bernstein and the London Symphony Orchestra and Chorus and several featured soloists

Those last two, plus “Age of Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine In from “Hair” lyrics by James Rado & Gerome Ragni, music by Galt MacDermot and performed by The Fifth Dimension, are the songs I would want to be played at my funeral (hopefully still a long way off) :>) in addition to traditional religious fare. The more traditional ones would be instrumental versions of "Ein' feste Burg ist unser Gott (A Mighty Fortress Is Our God)" lyrics and music written by Martin Luther, arranged by J. S. Bach (Cantata No. 80 and Chorale Prelude For Organ) and performed by E. Power Biggs (organist) plus "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" lyrics written by Martin Janus, music by Johann Schop, arranged by J.S. Bach (Cantata No. 147) and performed by Virgil Fox (organist).

"The Star Spangled Banner" brings tears to my eyes, even at a ball game. (This is NOT a “my country right or wrong” kind of response. I love my country, but not blindly.) "Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder: The Air Force Hymn" does that to me as well. I gave them too many years of my life to not still be affected by it. Plus, it's a pretty rousing piece of music in its own right.

Burke

PS – I agree that Emmylou Harris’ song “Wrecking Ball” is a real treasure. I especially like her performance of it on the "Best of Sessions at West 54th Street" DVD.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Lex
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Apr 2001

Eric Clapton, off the unplugged CD. Song about him loosing his Son out a Manhatten high rise apartment window. Maybe it was "If I Saw You in Heaven". But I can't say for sure about that title. I saw Clapton on this concert tour. Never has a song been any more moving. The song always was emotional for me after that.

Lex
                                            Doug
                                            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lex
                                              Eric Clapton, off the unplugged CD. Song about him loosing his Son out a Manhatten high rise apartment window...
                                              It's called "Tears in Heaven", and yes, it is a touching song, especially when you know who it was written for.

Comment

• Lex
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Apr 2001

I didnt' have the CD with me, and it's been a while since I have listened or looked, so I did the best I could. thanks or the correction.

Lex
                                                Doug
                                                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jan 2001

Another Clapton song that can cause a lump: I believe it's entitled In My Father's Eyes.
                                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                                                    "The Star Spangled Banner" brings tears to my eyes, even at a ball game. (This is NOT a “my country right or wrong” kind of response. I love my country, but not blindly.)
                                                    You and me both, Burke. I'm amazed at some of the blatant disrespect I see during the playing of the anthem. Some indifference I could understand, but not that. It does seem to have lessened since Sept. 11th. I always get a lump in my throat when I hear the national anthem, whether it be at a ball game, ceremony, or whatever. The Air Force song doesn't get me choked up, though... that's one that I can actually sing along to and make it through without losing my voice.
                                                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
                                                      • May 2003

Ok I'll play...

Letsee here.

I'll second "in the living years" and "tears in heaven"- tear jerkers for me, as well.
                                                      I'll also add:
                                                      Queen - Show must go on (seemed kinda imminently ironic to me)
                                                      Frozen Ghost - Dream come true (old girlfriend tune)
                                                      Dream Academy - Life in a Northern Town (another GF tune)
                                                      Ozzy - Mama (I'm coming home). Always seems to come on when i'm headed home to visit Ma.

the last one i'll say is:
                                                      Aerosmith - Don't wanna miss a thing.
                                                      (Darn that Armegeddon movie!)

heh

Leef
                                                      P.S. another Tear jerker for some reason is Santos and Jonnhy's "SleepWalk".
                                                      Not sure why. Maybe some deep seeded psychology at work there.

P.P.S. I don't even remember the girls that well anymore.
                                                      I just remember how sad i was when those particular tunes came up.
                                                      It's amazing how certain senses (smell, hearing, taste etc.) can elicit such powerful, specific responses from individuals. The phrase "each to their own" certainly comes to mind.
                                                      "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
                                                      -Dark Helmet

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"