Songs or CD's That you are almost ashamed to admit you like!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Songs or CD's That you are almost ashamed to admit you like!

I know we as music lovers, all have that one song or artist that we feel...may not be popular with the rest of the world but, we just can't get enough of! :B

Mine is this CD:

I just love this disc. It seems to have that right balance of music. And Cyndi's voice is kinda cute!

So don't be shy, share yours with us!!!
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Good topic John. My biggest guilty pleasure would be my Tears For Fears albums. Not many people seem to like their efforts, but I enjoy them a LOT. Nice vocals, good arrangements and high quality recordings.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Duran Duran...The Wedding Album ops:

1 too much information
      2 ordinary world
      3 love voodoo
      4 drowning man
      5 shotgun
      6 come undone
      7 breath after breath
      8 umf
      9 none of the above
      10 femme fatale
      11 shelter
      12 to whom it may concern
      13 sin of the city

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

SHAKIRA, LIVE AND OFF THE RECORD.

The cd is paired with the live concert video. Her somewhat odd vibrato and how her voice changes in tone really hooked me. She ain't hard on the eyes either. The opening number on the concert video is a real knockout. Terrific backup band that goes from North American rock to Middle Eastern to South American so easily it amazed me.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

hmm well lets see I really like most 80's music so there's lots to choose from there

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

I'm like Pr@ in that I'm a big fan of most everything from the 80s... but here's one probably forgotten by most that I actually have in my tubicle system at work:

I listened to it a lot in '88 or so, then forgot about it for years until I dug it up again. For a teen pop singer she's far more talented than the ones they dig up nowadays. :

Another one I have, but haven't listened to for years, I have to find it and give it a spin, is this one from around the same time period:

Maybe we should start a thread for CDs we bought and are embarrassed to own them now, and don't listen to anymore... I think I have a New Kids On The Block kicking around, probably in the same box in the attic. ops:

Comment

• Bent
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2003

I'm far to embarrassed to post a picture/link, but "Seagulls" was in the bands name.

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Bent
                I'm far to embarrassed to post a picture/link, but "Seagulls" was in the bands name.
                Were the other two words in the name "Flock" and "of"? I like them too, though I don't own any albums. I have a couple of their songs on 80s compilations.

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Funny topic...

In general, I don't like country music. I'm almost ashamed to admit it, though, that I not only own this CD, but brought it with me on this extended "business" trip I'm on:

Well, that's a first for me. The "8" and "O" in that link makes the 8O face, not the link. Okay, then let's try this link:

Last edited by Chris D; 31 May 2004, 16:24 Monday. Reason: Disabled smilies as it was botching up img url
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

I just found the "banished CD" box in the attic and rummaged through it. I rescued Debbie Gibson, and found a couple other Tiffany discs in there. I took out "Hold An Old Friend's Hand", but decided to leave "New Inside" in the box. ops:

Comment

• Bam!
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2004

Jon great topic!

How about Kenny Rogers!

Stevie Wonder!

but the creamer......

Disco Fever 70's Ultimate classic.... ops:

It's wrong....just really wrong.... :
                      Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Chris that's actually a pretty good CD (I have most of Garths').

KJP Tiffany was a hottie back in our day :W

I was listening to some George Michael last night (Faith) and really got into it again...there's some interesting audio effects in there to be heard if your system can create a deep soundstage so its not all just 80's fluff....at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it :dudes:

And one that will likely get me shunned completely is I have several Celine Dion CD's...and I like many of her songs ops:

Comment

• Glen
                          • Dec 2003

I've got Mariah Carey's first CD in there. I've taken alot of heat over that one - but she does have an amazing voice ( even if she did turn into a pop star loon ). It sticks out in my collection of 'devil music' as my co-workers call it. :twisted:

Comment

• Kevin P
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                            And one that will likely get me shunned completely is I have several Celine Dion CD's...and I like many of her songs ops:
                            Well, when we get locked away in the audio insane asylum, at least we can both listen to Tiffany in our cell. I don't mind Celine, but Heather's a big fan so of course we have several of her CDs. Her voice makes a good torture test for audio gear as well.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                              • Sep 2001

I haven't heard anything by her that I can say truthfully that I enjoy.

Originally posted by Kevin P
                              Her voice makes a good torture test for audio gear as well.
                              "Torture" is a good description of what Celine Dion's "singing" really is... I'd rather listen to fingernails scraping across a blackboard. :>) (Fortunately I don't have to do either one very often.) But what the hey, if we all liked exactly the same things, life could get boring, for someone anyway. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Aug 2000

Mariah Carey has a great sounding voice, and I have used my (3) CD's of her's for much reference play back.

My Guilty Pleasure would comprise of Nsync, and even the back street boys. I generally like all types of music, and I never would slam anybody for their likes in music... I like a lot of Goofy shait!

Here's some more, How about Spandau ballet?

Earth Wind & Fire? Ohio Players?

"Sweet Sticky Thing" has got to be one of my all time favorite songs :yesnod: I love the style the sax, the drums, everything about this song. I grew up being a fan of funk brass bands, even though I was propably the only one amounst my friends.

Now of course the EWF and Ohio Players is cool in a lot of circles depending where you are, however in my circle of friends that I grew up with playing hard rock, this was considered not cool... Like I cared..... I listened to them anyway, and still love'em! :T All the while rocking to Zepplin, Frank Marino, Talking Heads, Aerosmith, The Cult..etc

Andrew, I own that George Micheal album, and it was one of the albums I always used to show case my system to friends... The title track has a great sounding beat that has a lot of depth as you say. I like George, and I was a fan of Wam : I liked dancing to it at the clubs, as did the girls during my early 20's :wink:

Gitter Bug? Ask any girl to dance when that played and they would never turn you down :rofl:

Come to think of it, I own almost every Celine Deon CD, I like Flock of Seagull, and Tears for Fear, I have a few Debbie Gibson's... Maybe my whole collection is a guilty pleasure collection ... :rofl:

all images from Amazon.com
                                Bing

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                  • Sep 2001

I first heard the Red Elvises the day I bought my main speakers. Someone else had brought their consummately tasteful album :>) "I Wanna See You Belly Dance" in for a demo, and it helped sell me on the versatility of the speakers I now enjoy as my music and HT mains. Of course, the album is also now in my CD jukebox.

The group's official site: Red Elvises

Burke
                                  Last edited by Burke Strickland; 01 June 2004, 12:06 Tuesday.

Comment

• Bam!
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2004

I have to add one...

It's really nasty...

Culture Club....

Do you really want to hurt me...? ops: ops: ops: Ahh it's wrong....really wrong but....I dunno...ebery time I hear it...I crank it up......Everyone looks at me like I am retarded......which well, anyways....there you have it...

None of you have met me in person.... so :

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                      • Sep 2001

Bam! -

As Boy George said after Culture Club won the Best New Artist trophy at the 26th Annual Grammy Awards: "You have taste, you have style, and you know a good drag queen when you see one." :>) Actually some of that group's hits have been rather catchy, and their tunes pop up in some unexpected places. You may recall that "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" was quoted briefly by the Gingerbread Man in the Shrek Swamp Karaoke Sing Along on the DVD after the end of the original Shrek movie.

Burke

Comment

• Bam!
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                                        Bam! -

As Boy George said after Culture Club won the Best New Artist trophy at the 26th Annual Grammy Awards: "You have taste, you have style, and you know a good drag queen when you see one." :>) Actually some of that group's hits have been rather catchy, and their tunes pop up in some unexpected places. You may recall that "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" was quoted briefly by the Gingerbread Man in the Shrek Swamp Karaoke Sing Along on the DVD after the end of the original Shrek movie.

Burke

Thanks Burke a rooney!

I feel a little less weird now!

:lol:

It is good music though....you can' t argue that one! :lol:

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2000

Culture Club is Great. I love "Karma Cameleon" :T

Heres another I just love

I really dig their induvidual efforts as well

Like Emma Bunton

And Geri Halliwell

Their Videos are excellent Too! :T :T

all images from Amazon.com
                                          Bing

Comment

• John Holmes
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

It's funny to see how many people feel "unique" about enjoying a certain artist or group. Only to find out, there are more than you know which like them also.

There has been quite a few mentioned that I listen to all the time. Duran Duran, EWF, Ohio Players, Culture Club, Spandau Ballet, George Michael.

Bing wrote:
                                            I grew up being a fan of funk brass bands, even though I was propably the only one amounst my friends.
                                            I would always get strange looks from my friends as a kid, whenever they heard me listening to Elton John, Billy Joel or god for bid...Billy Idol or Thomas Dolby (I wasn't a Kid during the latter two) :B But, it was R&B, Jazz or Gospel in my neck of the woods. Even my mother would tease me about my broad taste in music. 8)

But isn't that the beauty of music? It can connect to so many different type of people, on many different levels.
                                            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• NMyTree
                                              • May 2004

Unfortunately for my friends and family, I'm not at all ashamed to listen to and admit to loving these albums :B Although, my significant other says I should be ashamed of myself and calls me a geek. :rofl:

Tony

Comment

• Bam!
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Jan 2004

Hey!

Billy Idol ?

Billy goes under ops: ....no way...I listen to the Elvis lipped punk all the time! I love it!

Flesh!.......... Flesh! (lip curl look into camera) Flesh for Fantasy!

I love it!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jan 2001

ABBA Yeah, I shoulda listed this, too. Love them.
                                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Yup ABBA Golds in my jukebox as well ops:

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                      • Sep 2001

Mamma Mia! Why would anyone be "almost ashamed to admit" that they like Abba? (Does your mother know?) :>) They didn't just do it for the money money money, which is "the name of the game" for so many artists. I have a dream, where I walk up to them, each super trouper and dancing queen among them, and say "Thank You For The Music". :>)

Burke

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Bam!
                                                        Hey!

Billy Idol ?

Billy goes under ops: ....no way...I listen to the Elvis lipped punk all the time! I love it!

Flesh!.......... Flesh! (lip curl look into camera) Flesh for Fantasy!

I love it!
                                                        Actually, I'm sorta stuck on "White Wedding"! :B

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Aug 2000

NMyTree,

I had that Partridge Family album. As well as the one with all the colors of the school bus on it! :E "I Can Feel Your Heartbeat" is one of my favorites. Unfortunatly, when I moved out of my mothers home (25 yrs ago), those albums were left behind. I guess my younger siblings got a hold of them because, I have not seen them since.

Comment

• Bob Santos
                                                            • Mar 2001

The one CD I love, that people look at me strange about is
                                                            Sinead O'Connor: I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got

A song that I dont have the CD, but I always seem to turn up when it's on the radio is 99 Luft Ballons by Nena? or something like that. That one's pretty embarrasing. Not as bad as Boy George though :rofl:

Comment

• Bam!
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Bob Santos

A song that I dont have the CD, but I always seem to turn up when it's on the radio is 99 Luft Ballons by Nena? or something like that. That one's pretty embarrasing. Not as bad as Boy George though :rofl:

: :rofl:

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                                • Aug 2000

Hey, that's one of my favorites from the 80s. I have both versions (the original German and the English remix), on various compilations. Boy George isn't too bad, as long as you don't play "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" too many times in a row! :banghead: (hint: The Wedding Singer)

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                  • May 2004

I love that album. Not bad sonics either.
                                                                  Tony

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                    • Sep 2001

Good choice! Although I am not a big fan of Sinead O'Connor, since I usually prefer to listen to other female vocalists including Holly Cole, Patricia Barber, Jennifer Warnes, Laura Nyro, Janis Joplin, Alison Kraus, Joan Baez and Emmylou Harris, I was impressed by O'Connor's moving performance of "This is the Last Day of our Acquaintance" on the "Best of Sessions at West 54th Street (Volume One)" DVD.

That number also happens to be on O'Connor's "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got" album, so I bought the CD as soon as I found it in a local store. Her style is somewhat quirky, (she certainly isn't copying anyone else in the mainstream), but her performances are passionate, and, as noted by others, the sonics on this album are pretty good.

So that makes "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got" one of my "guilty pleasures" as well. :>)

Burke

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                                      • Aug 2000

Doh! I thought of another one! This one may win the prize too:

Image hosted by Amazon.com

You're probably going :roll: right about now... but the neighbor's kids like this CD and we play it all the time in the summer when they're playing in the pool. It's become the summer pool party theme at the Patz Catz household.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2000

Kevin, thats a gooder! :T :T I bought it for my daughter :W

John, I remember in a few threads long time ago, I thought you and I had a lot of simular musical tastes :T :T It dosen't surprise me you listened to mostley what I listened to as well 8) 8)

DOH, Flip.... :W Just a sec, graphic to come....

OK, here is one I just scanned form my collection seeing as I could not find an image of it... Don't know why for it's so popular.. :roll: (Oh I did find it, but it was too small an image)

Killer Disco Classic :T

1. Ladies Night
                                                                        2. Freak
                                                                        3. Soul Man
                                                                        4. Disco Inferno
                                                                        5. Boogie Wonderland
                                                                        6. Get up and Boogie
                                                                        7. Let's Get It On
                                                                        8. Mac Arthur Park
                                                                        9. Let's All Chant
                                                                        10. Everlasting Love
                                                                        11. Love Is in the Air
                                                                        12. Dance Dance Dance
                                                                        13. Hot Stuff
                                                                        14. Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough
                                                                        15. Play That Funky Music

It's a remix /remaster that isn't even done by the original artists, but for some reason it seems fitting as it only adds to the Cheezey irony of this... It's charm is it reminds me of when your eating in a Chinese or other Asian restarant and they have popular disco music playing in the backgroud with a Asian slant. :W :roflmao:

When I first bought this album I was disapointed that it wasn't even the original Artists, but lsitening to it now, it has a fresh sound that is likeable for some reason or another :T

I think I bought this at Walmart for $4.00 about 6 years ago :B
                                                                        Attached Files
                                                                        Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 6521

Here are the reviews of it on Amazon :roflmao:

:1: HHHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OKAY!! GOOD JOKE!!! (CHUCKLE!), March 27, 1999
                                                                          Reviewer: A music fan
                                                                          WHEW!! Now that I can catch my breath (SNORT!), I can see why this one is so economically CHEAP!! This is probably one of the most inferior recordings of the top hits of disco or funk that I have ever heard of in my life!! If you really want the best of these recordings, nothing works better than the recordings made on a quality CD compilation by THE original artists. Save the money for some high quality blank CrO2 tapes for CD recordings. Bypass this thing as if it were a corpse! Why did I even give it a one star rating in the first place? Because this is the lowest rating that the review scale will let me go. If it were up to me, then this CD gets: -***** (-5 stars).
                                                                          :laughat:

:3: Okay, but not the best, March 20, 1999
                                                                          Reviewer: A music fan from backstage
                                                                          I was overjoyed when I discovered this album. I couldn't believe that a CD could have all of these hits for $5.37! Here's what I didn't notice: none of the songs are sung by the original artists. Not all of the singers on the album are talented either. It's definitely not a high-quality piece of work, but what else can you expect for $5.37?
                                                                          It's only $1.15 now, I was Had!! :M :W Link Here

Actually I was taken twice, When I first bought it, an now again for I forgot it was not the original artists until I popped it in just now :roflmao:
                                                                          Bing

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                            Moderator
                                                                            • Sep 2001
                                                                            • 3161

Originally posted by Bing Fung
                                                                            Is only $1.15 I was Had!!
                                                                            From the reviews, you were "had", but not based on price. :>) At Amazon, new discs are $7.98, which is about DOUBLE what you paid. The cheapest "used" disc I saw listed at Amazon was $1.45, but add the $2.49 shipping, and you're up to $3.94, which is pretty close to the $4 you paid. Of course, the Amazon figures are all in USD, so if you paid Canadian, you actually made out better than a current Amazon customer based on cost. And you've had the "pleasure" of listening to the album all this time! :>)

Burke

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2000
                                                                              • 6521

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                                                                              And you've had the "pleasure" of listening to the album all this time! :>)

Burke
                                                                              :laughat: :roflmao: :laughat: :roflmao: :laughat: :roflmao: :laughat: :roflmao:

Okay coffee all over the monitor and keyboard, thanks Burke :P :rofl:

I finally ejected it outta my PC :2guns: I couldn't take it anymore :roflmao:

I think thats the second time I have listened to this disk, I have yet to get through it all :roflmao:
                                                                              Bing

Comment

• Bam!
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2004
                                                                                • 2458

#40
                                                                                Burke...keep 'em coming!

Your prompt yet suttle humour.....I love it! :T

Ofcourse Bing would have to be involved! :lol:

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 2703

#41
                                                                                  Bing,

You found a good one! :T That is pretty sad that it is of such low quality. Now for the part that inkeeps with the purpose of this thread, I own almost all those songs by the original artist!!! :E :B :B :rofl:

I'll go stick my head in the sand now!

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 10808

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by John Holmes
                                                                                    Now for the part that inkeeps with the purpose of this thread, I own almost all those songs by the original artist!!! :E :B :B :rofl:

I'll go stick my head in the sand now!
                                                                                    I think I do too, as I own these discs:

(Images hosted by Amazon.com)

But for these, I have an excuse. I do DJ gigs once in a while, so these discs are a must in that scenario.

Comment

• aud19
                                                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Aug 2003
                                                                                      • 16706

#43
                                                                                      OK Bing, I want you to slowly remove that CD from it's case and place it label side down on your coffee table. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Dico Inferno indeed! That's where you should throw the case after removing the disc as per my above instructions! :roflmao:

Jason
                                                                                      Jason

Comment

• Kevin P
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2000
                                                                                        • 10808

#44
                                                                                        It's funny... a coworker was just showing me a newfangled paper shredder we got at the office... among its features is its ability to shred CDs. Maybe I should bring in my Hanson "MMMBop" CD single... whoops, admitted I have that one! ops: And I can't toss it either because at a recent party I was DJing in, someone actually requested that song... :??

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                                          • 2703

#45
                                                                                          But for these, I have an excuse. I do DJ gigs once in a while, so these discs are a must in that scenario.
                                                                                          Nice one Kevin! But as Mr. Zorg (from The Fifth Elelment) put it..."You're warriors, be proud!" :T :B

OK Bing, I want you to slowly remove that CD from it's case and place it label side down on your coffee table.
                                                                                          Don't listen to him Bing! "Fight the power!!!" :rofl:

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"