X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Welcome To The Pleasure Dome

As I've mentioned before, I've been on a journey back through my vinyl collection and last night I found a spectacular album (from a quality standpoint anyway). I put Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Welcome To The Pleasure Dome on and sat back, ready to hear some old favorites.

Well, knock my socks off! This double album has some of the best fidelity, soundstaging and overall quality of all the vinyl I've spun in the last few months. If you are interested, this is the Island Records (Atlantic) 1984 pressing and FWIW, I've not seen or heard of another. I sat there and when the first side was over I had a huge grin on my face, just from the sense of "wow, that was so awesome sounding". The upper registers were crystal clear without being strident, the mid-range just seemed to pull you into the performance, the bass was clean and tight without being too restrained and the vocals had a "here in the room with me" quality.

My system-chain for vinyl is:
    • Nottingham Analog Horizon turntable (thanks again for the shopping support Burke!)
      Grado Sonata Reference cartridge
      Musical Fidelity X-LPS phono stage
      Yamaha RX-V1 flagship receiver using analog bypass
      Aerial Acoustics 7B speakers
      MIT Terminator 4 bi-wire speaker cables
      CATCables BlackCat interconnects

All I can say further is that Frankie's gonna get another spin tonight. Happy listening y'all. . . .
    ;b>'>

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Last edited by David Meek; 08 October 2004, 15:59 Friday.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Awww, don't you just love vinyl, Tex .

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

David,

You really have some nice equipment to spin that vinyl on. Sounds like you are having a blast!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Hey David!

Wow Vinyl...FRankie

I have that album on cd but the DIGITAL version...it is better than the reg version...the sounds are better the mix is better it is just better :

:LOL: Take care David!

Bam!
        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"