X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

In A Southern Kind Of Mind

I've been going through my CDs and albums recently, exploring stuff I haven't heard in years. The last few days have been spent in the middle of a pile of southern rock, and southern R&B discs. I've been listening to groups like the Outlaws, Arc Angels, Pride & Glory, Govt. Mule, Chris Duarte. . . .

The latter day southern groups, to me anyway, give a deeper look into things than their brethren from the early days of southern rock like Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Allman Brothers, etc. Not to say that I don't like the earlier efforts - I do. But there seems to be more "meat on the bones" of the lyrics in the newer releases, even though the music itself is a bit derivative.

Does anyone else give these groups (and music) a listen? What do you like? What do you not?

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Very interesting David. While I don't own any of the groups you've named, like you I own quite a few albums. And as such, everytime I get in the mood to spin a few, I stumble across songs and maybe a group or two that I've never heard.

Now I know this seems strange (and it is :B). I guess over the yrs I've picked up this or that and just never got around to listening to it.

One such album is by a group named The Manhattens. I put this on the other day and found a few songs that were quite enjoyable. There is a remake of Sam Cooke's "You Send Me" as well as a very nice a cappella piece.

I also own an album of Duke Ellington "The Indispensible Duke Ellington Volumes 5/6 1940". I picked this up in 1984 while I was in Denmark. I have yet to play it either! The cover is in Danish for the most part. So I try to keep it as prestine as possible. Oneday I'm going to get the guts to sit down and record the two album set to cd so I can enjoy it. :LOL:

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Oh heck yeah, John. I'm forever finding albums or CDs that I bought for a rainy day and never listened to. ops: One particular group that comes to mind is Nektar - I'd picked up several (7) albums of theirs and just let them slip through the cracks without ever spinning one. Fortunately, I found them recently and made up for that mistake.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Thanks David! I do not feel quite so out of place now. 8)

Also, I made a mistake. The Duke Ellington album was actually pressed in Paris. Thus it has French verbaige on it's cover. I did pick it up in Denmark though! :LOL:

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Al K
          • Feb 2004

John,

The Manhattans, were pretty popular at one time. Kind of a jazz vocal group that did alot of different things. I have two old cd's by them that I still enjoy from time to time. Most of their recordings were much better than average quality sound. Accapella, jazz, rock, oldies, they do it all quite well. There still around too.

Enjoy

AL

Comment

• Al K
            • Feb 2004

John,

My mistake! I confused the Manhattans with The Manhattan Transfer!
            Duh ops:
            Al

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Hey Al,

I actually like Manhatten Transfer. "Soul food to Go" is one of my favorites. The group "The Manhattens" is and early 70's R&B group. And both have room in my collection! 8)

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"